Quicken is changing my payee and memo fields to N/A

zipwilly
zipwilly Member ✭✭
Quicken is now replacing the data I enter in many transactions in the payee and memo field with N/A. I try to update the fields and later I find that it has been changed again back to N/A.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    zipwilly said:
    Quicken is now replacing the data I enter in many transactions in the payee and memo field with N/A. I try to update the fields and later I find that it has been changed again back to N/A.
    Hello @zipwilly,   

I am sorry to hear about this issue with changing transaction information. Thank you for discussing this with us here on the Quicken Community.

Is this affecting more than one account? Also, just to be clear: are you operating these accounts manually (without making use of online banking services)? 

I look forward to your answers, and I hope to provide more assistance, once more is known. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • zipwilly
    zipwilly Member ✭✭
    Yes, it is impacting multiple credit card accounts. We enter information (transactions) carefully. Later that information in the payee and memo field is replaced with N/A. The information we entered is lost. Sometimes it happens immediately after a backup, or an update from the bank. Losing our hard work is very frustrating. The amounts of each transaction and the dates seem to be left alone.
  • zipwilly
    zipwilly Member ✭✭
    As a test I update a bunch of the data that was set to N/A. Then all I did was run a backup. After the backup, all of the payee and memo data we entered was replaced with an N/A.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That N/A is indicative of a corrupted Q data file, SO
    • Take a backup, then
    • VALIDATE your Q data file.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Bigstick
    Bigstick Member
    I have the same problem. Validating and fixing does not cure the problem. Re entering the data does not solve the problem.
  • Quicken Jared
    Bigstick said:
    I have the same problem. Validating and fixing does not cure the problem. Re entering the data does not solve the problem.
    Hello @Bigstick,   

I am sorry to hear that this issue is continuing even after validating the data file. Thank you for talking with us about this here on the Quicken Community.

I see that you have tried validating the file, but I want to make sure: have you also tried Super Validation? Save a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then proceed through the instructions provided below:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Let us know how this works. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Elnonio
    Elnonio Member ✭✭
    Quicken keeps renaming memo and downloaded transactions as N/A, and even occasionally a payee

Any ideas why? I don't have renaming rules that would do that.
  • Quicken Jared
    Elnonio said:
    Quicken keeps renaming memo and downloaded transactions as N/A, and even occasionally a payee

Any ideas why? I don't have renaming rules that would do that.
    Hello @Elnonio,   

I am sorry about this problem with incorrect transaction information here on the Quicken Community. Thank you for inquiring about this here on the Quicken Community. 

Are you noticing this with a particular account or set of accounts, and if so, what financial institution are they associated with? Also, what connection method are you currently making use of in order to add or link your accounts to online banking services? Please note that you can verify this anytime by going to Tools > Account List and then clicking on the Edit button in the row associated with the affected accounts. Next, go to the Online Services tab in the new window that appears afterward. The information we are looking for should be found under the Online Setup callout box.

I look forward to your answer.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Elnonio
    Elnonio Member ✭✭
    This is not account (banking institution) specific. Happens with USAA, Navy Fed and others. IT's also not dependent on the connection method (direct or web connect, plus or standard). It affects payees, memos and now even account names!
  • Quicken Jared

Hello @Elnonio,  

I'm sorry to hear that this issue is affecting so many accounts and financial institutions. Thanks so much for answering my earlier questions and shedding further light on the situation.  

First, save a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then proceed through the steps listed below, in order:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log

If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following: 

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    I look forward to hearing back from you about your results. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Elnonio
    Elnonio Member ✭✭
    Neither validation methods made a difference. I ran them both a few times, restarting quicken a couple of times in between. I changed a couple of memos, closed and reopened , only to find the memo changed again to N/A. Hovering over the transactions also shows that quicken thinks renaming was done pursuant to a rule but I have no renaming rules.
  • Elnonio
    Elnonio Member ✭✭
    I have screenshots but Can't post them here.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what would cause renaming to N/A, but you can disable Quicken's automatic renaming of Payees by going to Edit > Preferences > Downloaded transactions and un-checking the "Automatically apply Quicken's suggested name to Payee" box.

And are you sure you don't have any renaming rules? You can view them at Tools > Renaming rules. Make sure you don't have a rule that renames payees to N/A.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    When is it "renaming" them?

Typically, when Quicken changes a field to N/A it is a sign of corruption.  Note if you have sync to Mobile/Web on I would try turning that off.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Elnonio
    Elnonio Member ✭✭
    When is the renaming or changing of data taking place: I originally noticed it after reopening the file. But I just tried and simply closing the account ledger and reopening it shows that the change happens without even needing to quit and restart.
    And no, 100% positive, there are NO renaming rules active even though Quicken hints that there are.
    I have turned off mobile and cloud. That's apparently not the problem either.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well, unfortunately that sounds exactly like a corrupted data file.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The one last thing you might try is uninstalling Quicken and reinstalling it.
    Signature:
  • Elnonio
    Elnonio Member ✭✭
    Alas, I've already reinstalled. Same.
    I also reopened the last ( theoretically) non corrupt file, and quicken quickly started changing data again.
    I'm about to start creating a file from scratch but clearly I'm less than thrilled by the prospect.
    Checking when my subscription ends already...
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    You might try this for transferring your data to another data file:
    https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html
    Signature:
  • KPS75214
    KPS75214 Member
    Have the same problem. Payee and Memo being replaced with NA. I followed all the steps recommended by Jared made on 12/1 (above) Validated and Super Validated data and it did not fix the problem.
  • Jay2456
    Jay2456 Member ✭✭
    Have the same problem, tried all the recommendations including super validation, changing renaming rules, etc but all to no avail. This automatic and unrequested renaming process is a recent Quicken bug at least for me.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Jay2456 said:
    Have the same problem, tried all the recommendations including super validation, changing renaming rules, etc but all to no avail. This automatic and unrequested renaming process is a recent Quicken bug at least for me.
    This has nothing to do with the renaming process. Renaming only happens after a download.
    The N/A is an indicator of a corrupted field.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.