I'm done. Need to open old Archive files in "airplane" mode to not create chaos updates. [edit]

After 28years (1994) creating and reopening Archived files, I will *NOT* accept the forced internet connection to validate subscriptions. My usage has way too many automatic transactions that may attempt to "update" since the date last known in the archive. It is an absolutely unacceptable risk to have a rogue archive send multiple, erroneous, duplicate transactions to my financial institutions. (Yes, I have changed vault/auto-update passwords. I have deleted hundreds of auto-entry transactions. I have deleted dozens of linked institutions.) The risk of a rogue update on an archive is too high. I require: an off-line validation (temporary validation code?) method.

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchivedSince1994 said: After 28years (1994) creating and reopening Archived files...
    I've never understood the value or thinking of creating split-off Archive or End Of Year Quicken files...
    I have ONE Quicken QDF file that has my entire financial world - past, present, & even future...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    But, what the OP describes happens if you restore a 6 month old backup that had soon to be made bill pay transactions in it.  The use of the word "archive" does not have to equate to "year-end-copy", just any copy that that was put aside  and opened at a later date.
    OP has a valid complaint that there should be a way to open a file with Quicken in "airplane" mode to put it in today's phone terminology so that it doesn't do anything foolish.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• splasher grasps the crux of the issue. Whether "archive", "year-end-copy", or just plain "back-up", some of Quicken's most useful features are the most dangerous if they cannot be stopped when opening an older file. (Further note: Verification of valid software should be a SOFTWARE usage matter. Quicken is requiring re-verification of software credentials for every FILE opened. Bad implementation.)
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    splasher said: OP has a valid complaint that there should be a way to open a file with Quicken in "airplane" mode to put it in today's phone terminology so that it doesn't do anything foolish.
    Interesting idea ...  have updated topic title to better reflect Q&A concept -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's an existing idea to allow the user to disable reminders when restoring a backup.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.