Retag Transactions - Does not work

Keith Davis
Keith Davis Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2023 in Reports (Windows)
[Removed - Rant]

I have over a hundred transactions that I need to retag. Doing this via individual transactions is just too time-consuming, I'll just leave them untagged if there is no solution to them in bulk. 

First of all, there is some unstated rule about doing certain transactions in bulk from a report, because if I select certain ones as part of group, Retag and Recategorize are greyed out. If I select any one of those individually on the same report, Retag or Recategorize is not greyed out.

Regardless of that, whether I choose several or only one transaction on any report and choose Retag, I get the box to select the Tag, then nothing happens, the Tag is not changed.

Comments

• Dave Van Rooy
    Dave Van Rooy Member ✭✭
    edited December 2022
    I have the same problem. BUT much of the time when I retag a single transaction from a report and all seems to go OK, it does NOT really work, as I can see when I then look at the transaction. This is very frustrating since I have 100's of such that I need to retag.

Additionally a related problem I have with some, is I just want to add a new tag, and not overwrite any existing ones -- there does not seem to be any way to do this other than one by one.

I suspect this and similar issues arise from Quicken still using some ancient database structure instead of a relational database where SQL queries can be used. I sympathize with the developers/maintainers in trying to update to such, but IMO it is an essential step in order to continue into the future with Quicken.
  • I am having the same issue and I'm just adding to the list of complainants. I can not get any of the "editable" fields to change in any of the report formats. This appears to have been "broken" in one of the recent updates, because I have used this feature extensively in the past.
  • bill.nesheim
    bill.nesheim Member ✭✭
    Rename Payee from reports no longer works either. This worked as recently as a few months ago.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Additionally a related problem I have with some, is I just want to add a new tag, and not overwrite any existing ones -- there does not seem to be any way to do this other than one 
    FWIW, I tried to duplicate your issue using a banking, transactions report, and I saw the same thing you were seeing.  I do not understand why, but I just ran that same test again and this time  it worked as it should!  I am running R45.13.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran the above test again just now and I am able to retag and initially tag from a banking, transactions report with no problem. (My initial test was done on an iPad via a remote desktop connection which may have had problems interpreting a right click.)

What releases are you all running and did you try a banking transactions report?

• Came here to see if anyone else is having this problem. The bug is also applying to Recategorizing, Renaming Payees. Edit Memos seems to work randomly. This feature used to work just fine many releases ago, I used it a ton. To select entries that are not next to each other I use the CTRL key. My report is an Itemized Categories Report. I am running R45.13 and working from a laptop.
  • dmillsjenk
    dmillsjenk Member ✭✭
    Having same problem as everyone else. Someone with Quicken said "they are working to resolve this known issue".
  • mpafumi77
    mpafumi77 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    I am also having this problem. Any word on when it might be fixed?
  • dmillsjenk
    dmillsjenk Member ✭✭
    They have so many other issues, like bank accounts not syncing/communicating, this may be a long long wait.
  • CharlesD
    CharlesD Member
    Recategorizing, Renaming Payees is not working for me either. Version R45.21
  • Anil
    Anil Member ✭✭✭
    Is this issue resolved. I am also not able to retag from a report. This used to work and was a very convenient feature. Retag is enabled but it doesnt work when I select multiple transaction from within a report. It just doesnt do anything.
  • Mark Newton
    Mark Newton Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue and is a major impact. When can this be fixed? I used to be able to run a report, right click, select retag and presto. It worked great. Now, same exercise but the new tag is not applied after clicking okay.
  • wojo54
    wojo54 Member
    I have the same issue. Worked for a couple of transactions but not all.
  • Rich O
    Rich O Member
    Fixed, I went to Quicken website and downloaded the current version and installed it. Recategorizing now works from reports.
  • edyohe
    edyohe Member ✭✭
    I am at the current version (R47.15), just installed it today, and retagging from reports still is not working for me. I am trying to do it from an itemized category report. Maybe recategorizing works now or maybe has always worked, but this topic is about retagging, you had me confused for a moment there.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    fwiw, I found that I could not retag a saved report that had several past iterations, e.g changes to time range, etc.  But if I clicked back to the first report in that history List, retagging worked for both that first one and then back to the last one that had not worked before.   
    Strange!.

• SteveBar
    SteveBar Member
    Same experience as edyohe. I am running R47.15. I cannot retag a transaction from within a transaction report. FWIW, the operation "Edit memo(s)" does work.
  • SLB1
    SLB1 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Quicken Home & Business version R47.15, Windows 10

Former versions I was able to bulk change and/or add tags. Can't now. Spent an hour with TechSupport who had no clue about this problem. Said I would have to change tags in transaction register individually. This is not acceptable. Last year when I did my tax prep for 2021, both recategorize and/or retag in bulk worked inside reports. Not now with this newest/latest version.

Anyone solve this mystery?
  • mpafumi77
    mpafumi77 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    edited March 2023

I haven't found one. It's very frustrating. I set tags on business expenses indicating what's pending reimbursement from my employer. When the expense reports are paid, I change the tags to indicate what has been paid. I used to be able to do this by multi-selecting in a report and changing the tags in one action. Now I have to go through hundreds of transactions across different accounts each month one-by-one. This broke several months ago and has yet to be fixed.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Member ✭✭
    Just to add to the growing list of persons suffering from this. I spent several hours with Quicken telephone support trying to sort this out including performing a fresh download of Quicken, running a fix file routine buried in the menus in Quicken and creating a copy of my data file. Like others in this thread, I have used the feature of recategorizing, retaging, renaming payees, etc. for single and multiple consecutive and non-consecutive entries in register reports over the past 20 years and now it is broken. Following a suggestions higher in the thread, I tried from a banking transactions report tonight with the same results...garbage. I depend on this for organizing my transactions from multiple financial institutions. I have tried creating new categories and tags with inconsistent results. Retagging does not work at all, recategorizing works from some category entries as does renaming payees and changing memos.
    As was also noted in a message above from, I was told, a couple of weeks ago, by Quicken support that they are aware of the problem and working on a solution. The comment above in this thread comes from a few months ago. This is unacceptable for a subscription product like Quicken.....Time to start thinking of MS Money.
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭

Lots of original features no longer work since they created the Portable and web base feature. If you use Quicken as just a checkbook register, and use only the basic Web connect to download with, along with not using any of the features that Quicken used to do , it will work perfectly 90% of the time. However tonight even that got screwed up for me. After transferring a data file to another PC tonight, the Qkn program synced I had a 4 hour mess to cjean up with missing and repeat transactions. Quicken is trying to make quicken do what it cannot, and that is why there is no dark mode and won't be. Even if you buy Qkn Deluxe and use it only as a check book register ($39.99 at Costco Online)that price is not too bad. Heck a new leather checkbook cover will cost you more than that. The list of features that no longer work as intended, or work at all is a mile long. It's like pulling around a 39 lb ball and chain around working with it. The ball on my chain has a flaat spot on it from pulling it around for 20 years.

• Paul Rostek
    Paul Rostek Member

I need to retag many transactions, why is it not working?

How can I get retagging to work like it use to in older versions of Quicken?

• sshu
    sshu Member

Same issue. Also on payees and memos. category does work v48.9

• Viking64
    Viking64 Member ✭✭
    This thread goes back to November 2022, probably about the last time that I was able to change multiple tags from either Register Reports or Transaction Reports and to not have trouble with some, though not all, attempts at changing Categories or Memos. There have been several Quicken updates since that time and the service team has informed me that the mother ship is aware and "working on it." My renewal date is coming up and I seriously believe I will NOT RENEW MY SUBSCRIPTION TO A FLAWED PROGRAM. (at least it seems it is the program since not only am I not the only subscriber with the same problem, but, as noted in an earlier post, the service agent had the same issue with his copy of Quicken using a test data file...suggesting it is not a problem with my data file, my installation of Quicken or my computer, so I feel justified to rant that it is the program and the coding/code repair teams that need to get this solved.)
    I love the program otherwise, but this is over the top.
  • acmaclure
    acmaclure Member

Ditto to all the above. The timing of this problem is terrible as we are in the midst of preparing reports for tax preparation. Why hasn't Quicken responded to these concerns? Is there a way to "roll back" to a verison that works? Currently using R48.15 - a subscription.

• Vickie
    Vickie Member ✭✭✭
    Retag Transaction is not working for me either. Here are a couple of workarounds that I have found.
    1. Use Recategorize Transaction instead. Enter the Category (same as what is already selected) and then add /TagName (whatever tag you use). Then, it will add/update the tag along with the category.
    2. Use Edit Transaction dialog box - select multiple transactions from a register window (use the Filters at the top to only show the ones you want first) - and then you can edit the Tag from there. I used this trick to remove a tag from multiple transactions since the option to choose Replace Tag With blank does not light up the Replace All button: Again, set the Category to the same category as currently used and then click the + button to add additional criteria of Tag with blank box.
  • cfrphoto
    cfrphoto Windows Beta Beta

Sometimes "Retag Transactions" and " Recategorize” Transactions" are grayed out. If transactions are from a bank account, options are not grayed out. "Recategorize" is fast in the most recent version of Quicken except when replacing links with a category When not grayed out, "Retag" does nothing.

Quicken since version 6
  • KenAtl
    KenAtl Member
    edited April 2023

[Removed - Rant]

• mark_amey
    mark_amey Member ✭✭

HI Quicken technical support, I REALLY need you to fix this! I hope you are paying attention to this feed. It is unacceptable for a basic bug like this to be broken for so long. Please address. Thank you!!!!

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Forum Moderators sometimes review issues discussed here and refer them to Development, but if you want Quicken to work on a problem, I recommend you contact Support via phone.  Be sure the support agent understands the problem and gives you a ticket number for future reference.

You should also use the Help > Report a Problem menu in Quicken to submit the issue online. In your submission, be as clear and thorough as possible. Reference the ticket number and provide a link to this discussion. Provide step by step instructions to reproduce the problem. You will not get a response to an electronic submission, but they say they review and prioritize the submissions. 

Updates on problems that Quicken has acknowledged are posted at the link below.

Quicken never says when a problem is expected to be resolved.

https://community.quicken.com/categories/alerts

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.