Is there a fix available for Fidelity updates not downloading?

Is there a fix available for Fidelity updates not downloading?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓
    HI @Bostrav59

You cannot actually "turn off" automatic updates in Windows (which controls them) BUT you can get a warning about an update and refuse it before it downloads automatically.  Here are the steps to setup that warning process:

To be able to stop Quicken from automatically updating the application on startup, you'll need to change your "User Account Control Settings" in Windows.  Here are the steps:

1) Click on the "Windows" icon (in the lower left hand corner);
    2) Click on the "Gear" icon > In the "search box" - Type "Change user account control settings" > then click on that;
    3) You will see this pop-up window > Select the "Notify me only when apps try to make changes..." as shown on this Snip:

4) Click "OK" and you are done.

Keep in mind that this will stop the automatic installation, but it effectively does that by warning you with a pop-up when there is an update available.  You will still need to say "No" to that pop-up warning, if you want to stay on your current version at that time. If you actually want the update - just check OK.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi@CindiW,

Can you give us some more information so we can understand the issues you are having with your Fidelity downloads?  Are you seeing any error codes?  If not, please describe what happens when you initiate the download process.  Are downloads working for your other "connected" accounts?

Get back to us and we'll go from there.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Strup
    Strup Member
    I possibly have a similar issue as CindiW. One Step Update does not download interest and dividend income from my Fidelity accounts. This started on December 1 with November month end interest income. I also had income posted on December 5 and 6 that did not download to Quicken. The Account List states that the Last Download was today. No error codes.
  • CindiW
    CindiW Member
    There are no error codes and my other accounts are working. I have not had transactions downloaded since the fall. It appears as it has successfully updated, but it isn't bringing down buys and sells.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @cindyw, @Strup Please do TOOLS, Account List and tell us what is says in the "Transactions Download" column across from your Fidelity accounts.
    Also, the Fidelity name as shown in the "Financial Institution" for those accounts,
    and, lastly, what Q product and BUILD you're running.  This info is at HELP, About Quicken.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @cindyw & @Strup

It sounds like you are seeing behavior similar to other users who recently updated their Quicken version to one issues after version R44.28.  If you are at a version with a number higher than R44.28,  I suggest that you use these instructions to revert to that version:

1) Backup your Quicken datafile;
    2) Close out of Quicken; then copy the Link below and paste it into your browser 

https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.1.44.28MPatch.EXE?_ics=1668880738587&irclickid=~fe79Z649572XY5X2459d6XY36Y459cb5-ebgh9~21VNMKFzvojf8

3) This will start the download of Quicken version 44.28 to your computer.
    4) Once the download of has completed - locate it (likely in your Downloads file). The filename is "QW27.1.44.28MPatch";
    5) Double click on it to install the download and once completed, restart Quicken.

Let me know if you have any followups and/or tell me how that all went.

Frankx

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Hello @CindiW,   

I am sorry that you are being affected by this problem with downloading transactions. Thank you for speaking with us about this here on the Quicken Community.

Note that there is also an Open Alert regarding Fidelity accounts and trouble downloading transactions that may be related to this issue. I want to be sure to provide this link, as it may be relevant. Any and all updates regarding that issue will be made available there.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 

• CindiW
    CindiW Member
    Across from my 3 Fidelity accounts, it says "Yes(Direct Connect)
    R45.13 Build 27.1.45.13
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I concur with the suggestion of @Frankx that you fall back to R44.28

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• alw
    alw Member ✭✭
    Been using Quicken for more than 20 Years, seen many issues but they usually get fixed in a timely manner. This issue has been open for some time beginning to regret renewing subscription

tried falling back to R44.28 same issue,
    uninstalled quicken and reinstalled from the website same issue,

These Notes may be helpful in diagnosis.
    Accounts with other financial sites are working whether using Direct connect, Express web connect or express web connect +

The account list shows Fidelity investment as direct connect, and updated as of today.
    Account details Connection Method: Direct connect
    Resetting the Fidelity Investment accounts causes account lock out due to incorrect password and returns "reset Failure" alert

One step update settings appear to indicate Investments as express web connect, the gold key appears and does not require password, other direct connect accounts require password

One step update summary shows Fidelity Investment, no transactions / last holdings update as 8/27/2022, there are transactions that should have downloaded

Fidelity web site security center does not show any authorized third-party information sharing as express connect accounts do at other financial sites.

issue occurs with or without 2FA being on
  • CindiW
    CindiW Member
    I tried the revert to the lower version. It didn't bring in the missed transactions. I will wait and see if new transactions come down.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @CindiW,

Unfortunately, because you downloaded under the more recent version (and either accepted the "incomplete" downloaded transactions, or deleted them) those won't automatically download again because Quicken monitors the download ID' that have been previously entered or deleted),  And if you run a later-dated download, it won't include those (principally to avoid duplicates).

So, without doing a complicated workaround, you'll probably have to live with inputting those manually.

Frankx

• Bostrav59
    Bostrav59 Member ✭✭
    I'm having this problem as well. Is it just Fidelity accounts or all investment accounts?
  • Bostrav59
    Bostrav59 Member ✭✭
    @Frankx thanks for your rollback suggestion. How do I turn off automatic updates in Quicken so it doesn't update me to the current problematic version?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓
    HI @Bostrav59

You cannot actually "turn off" automatic updates in Windows (which controls them) BUT you can get a warning about an update and refuse it before it downloads automatically.  Here are the steps to setup that warning process:

To be able to stop Quicken from automatically updating the application on startup, you'll need to change your "User Account Control Settings" in Windows.  Here are the steps:

1) Click on the "Windows" icon (in the lower left hand corner);
    2) Click on the "Gear" icon > In the "search box" - Type "Change user account control settings" > then click on that;
    3) You will see this pop-up window > Select the "Notify me only when apps try to make changes..." as shown on this Snip:

4) Click "OK" and you are done.

Keep in mind that this will stop the automatic installation, but it effectively does that by warning you with a pop-up when there is an update available.  You will still need to say "No" to that pop-up warning, if you want to stay on your current version at that time. If you actually want the update - just check OK.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

• CindiW
    CindiW Member
    Falling Back to 44.28 does not work. I bought a new stock AFTER the downgrade and it did not download.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again CindiW,

Sorry to hear that reverting to the prior release didn't help you.  Taking that action has helped many others recently, but my best guess is that for you, and some others, the Fidelity issue referred to above by @Quicken Jared must be what is causing your downloading problems.  As he suggested above - I suggest that you monitor developments of that issue.

Frankx

• Bostrav59
    Bostrav59 Member ✭✭
    Thanks @Frankx - the rolling back to earlier version didn't help me either. The link that @quicken Jared provided just says that as of Dec 14 they are working on it with no eta. Oh well. When they get it fixed I will probably need to figure out a hack to get all the transactions back together.
  • Bostrav59
    Bostrav59 Member ✭✭
    To @Frankx and @CindiW just to let you know. I ended up starting a new Quicken file from scratch. It took me about 3 hours over 3 days. I'm sure I'll have to continue doing some tailoring to make this work, but now my Fidelity xactions are downloading!
  • Karen Lorince
    Karen Lorince Member ✭✭
    Some of my Fidelity accounts are fine, but others are not. I called Quicken Support yesterday and he tried some things, but in the end, he said try again today. And today, most accounts are working fine, but a couple still aren't and I can see the missing transactions - some are coming across, but others aren't. Is this being addressed?
  • alw
    alw Member ✭✭
    just updated to R46.12
    The fidelity accounts that were "express web connect" and not working reverted to "Direct Connect"
    Only transactions not downloading since 11/30/2022 (nothing prior) were received and matched to the manually entered up to 1/04/2023.
    Will wait and see as I have no transactions expected to download 01/04 - 01/13
  • cahoover
    cahoover Member ✭✭
    FYI. I had not been able to download since September, however last week ALL the transactions from 2022 came down! (Yay for being able to do taxes and year-end reporting!) However, January transactions are still not downloading.
    I tried resetting the accounts. When that didn't work, I turned off Online Services for all accounts then reactivated them. Still no joy.

Previously Fidelity was the most reliable downloads of all my accounts -- everything would down and balance correctly and no manual tweaking was ever needed.

Currently running R46.12, Build 27.1.46.12
  • mushrmary
    mushrmary Member ✭✭
    Jan. 31, 2023: I have been really unhappy with the poor testing and quality control of Quicken frequent updates. I plan to stop accepting them, or at least learn how to roll them back. Of course the problem with that is I'll never know if I really need something, but I don't find them trustworthy. And I have a software engineering background.

My fidelity accounts stopped downloading properly in late November. I thought I'd done something wrong, and went through numerous gyrations to try to diagnose, until I saw a couple threads here that I wasn't the only one. It was a serious problem as I needed to get a handle on cash flow and taxes end of year. In desperation I finally reverted to spreadsheets in the short term to deal with it. Then in December the investment accounts started downloading, so did the credit cards. But the brokerage account I have set up and am using like a checking account have never reset properly. On the quicken side it appears I need to have it set up as a brokerage account, but then tag it as bringing down complete transactions rather than simple. Quicken now seems to set up a second checking account, where the transactions are supposed to go (at least the old ones went there), but leaves the one for brokerage, showing a zero balance and no transactions.

In January first there were no transactions downloading to the checking account side. Then some started downloading, but just some of the debits, coded just as a transfer out of the matching brokerage account with no associated transaction or payee or other data: i.e. it's an incomplete list of incomplete transactions. Today no more of the missing transactions are downloading. I am going to try one more time, deleting this account and re-creating it in Quicken, but it probably won't work any differently than before. If that fails I will try what one other user did and try to start from scratch for 2023, exporting my chart of accounts from 2022 so at least I can use the same categorization.

I wish Quicken and Fidelity tech folks would get together and jointly design a consistent interface protocol addressing all use cases that Fidelity customers handle their accounts. The brokerage-account-as-a-checking-account had been working fine in summer 2022. At least that narrows the timeframe when the bug(s) were introduced. Please take pity on your customers. We can't be going for months deeply dependent for personal and business transactions on a suddenly blown bookkeeping system with no way to recover, roll back, or move forward. And the developers keep rolling out continuous updates, please do rigorous system testing on all use cases for bank and investment company interfaces before releasing the fix, and provide an easy way to roll back the release if it breaks. Better yet, move to bigger batches of fixes that are more rigorously tested, rather than a handful of patches that are never fully system tested.
  • jhood0612
    jhood0612 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Given the prevalence of this problem, you'd think Quicken would come up with a fix. [Removed - Speculation/Unhelpful]
  • alw
    alw Member ✭✭
    Currently at R47.15
    Seems to be downloading from Fidelity correctly since the R46.12 update in January. (December, January and February activity )
This discussion has been closed.