Do I need to create a whole new Quicken profile? If so, HOW?

Options
jsarp2
jsarp2 Member ✭✭
In 10/2021 a Quicken update totally corrupted my Quicken files that are associated with my Quicken file. I've used Quicken since 2002 and have many and large account histories. I have found that the only way to backup a file is to use Dropbox. Any other way (and I have tried VERY MANY) I open a backed up file it only loads to that 10/15/21 date. I have reconstructed it so many times and now that I've found a way to safely backup and reopen, I can't download transactions from by bank accounts any more like I used to. When I try to reset 'one step update' it tells me that it's associated with a different account and makes me log in to Quicken. Once I do that - the data file reverts back to 10/15/2021. Until I figured out how to reopen a backup it has always opened and stopped transactions at 10/15/21. I've worked so hard on this problem for over a year and cannot get it straight. I changed my email in my profile today thinking maybe that would help - it didn't.
Can ANYONE out there suggest what to do? The only solution I can think of is to totally erase my old Quicken profile and create a new one, but I don't know how to do that. Also, if I did that I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to reopen my hardearned current data files. I cannot in any way recreate 20 years of all of my accounts' data!
For those of you who want to know if I've tried 'Quicken Support' - the answer is 'yes'. Multiple times. I don't think that they really understand the problem, and have remoted in and, I think, did more damage. Then they blamed the whole problem on my computer and washed their hands.

If I can't fix this I need to make sure not to renew my subscription, so time is of the essence; not to mention how frustrated I am with losing track of my finances.

I have done the following (all I can remember)
- Tried Quicken Support
- Tried a new Quicken email in my profile
- Done a 'total' uninstall of Quicken, restarted, reinstalled
- downloaded new updates
- plus more over this last year + that I can't remember.

ANY help would be appreciated!

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @jsarp2,

So this is a wild, hairy, response to your pleas.  Have you ever tried to open a backup datafile from a few weeks or perhaps months prior to your infamous "10/25/21" date to see if you might be able to at least start from that point?  I understand that this is not anyway near ideal, but if I were you, I'd be trying anything to get back on track - and then start moving forward from there.

Probably a dumb idea that you've already dismissed but...

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    jsarp2 said:
    In 10/2021 a Quicken update totally corrupted my Quicken files that are associated with my Quicken file. I've used Quicken since 2002 and have many and large account histories. I have found that the only way to backup a file is to use Dropbox. Any other way (and I have tried VERY MANY) I open a backed up file it only loads to that 10/15/21 date. I have reconstructed it so many times and now that I've found a way to safely backup and reopen, I can't download transactions from by bank accounts any more like I used to. When I try to reset 'one step update' it tells me that it's associated with a different account and makes me log in to Quicken. Once I do that - the data file reverts back to 10/15/2021. Until I figured out how to reopen a backup it has always opened and stopped transactions at 10/15/21. I've worked so hard on this problem for over a year and cannot get it straight. I changed my email in my profile today thinking maybe that would help - it didn't.
    Can ANYONE out there suggest what to do? The only solution I can think of is to totally erase my old Quicken profile and create a new one, but I don't know how to do that. Also, if I did that I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to reopen my hardearned current data files. I cannot in any way recreate 20 years of all of my accounts' data!
    For those of you who want to know if I've tried 'Quicken Support' - the answer is 'yes'. Multiple times. I don't think that they really understand the problem, and have remoted in and, I think, did more damage. Then they blamed the whole problem on my computer and washed their hands.

If I can't fix this I need to make sure not to renew my subscription, so time is of the essence; not to mention how frustrated I am with losing track of my finances.

I have done the following (all I can remember)
    - Tried Quicken Support
    - Tried a new Quicken email in my profile
    - Done a 'total' uninstall of Quicken, restarted, reinstalled
    - downloaded new updates
    - plus more over this last year + that I can't remember.

ANY help would be appreciated!
    Hello @jsarp2,   

I am sorry to hear about these ongoing data issues. Thank you for speaking with us about this here on the Quicken Community.

First, I want to be clear on something. Is your current active data file being operated while it is still being stored in Dropbox? You can check this by navigating to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. We strongly advise against working with an active data file while it is being kept in cloud-based storage services, as this can cause erratic program behavior and even data damage.

Once you have confirmed that the data file is being stored locally on your computer, or moved it out of Dropbox, save a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then proceed through  the steps listed below, in order: 
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. 

If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following: 

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I look forward to hearing back from you about this. 

Thank you, 

Quicken Jared 
  • jsarp2
    jsarp2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Jared,
    I did both - Validate and Super Validate - can you please take a look at the attached Text log (I had to save as pdf so I could attach) and see what it produces? i've tried this before and it just looks like a mess to me. lOL

Also, the file that I validated was dated last week, 11/26/22. After I validated, closed Quicken and reopened, it reopened back to the 10-15-21 date again!

No matter what I do - except save to dropbox now - I cannot close and reopen a good Quicken file. Something has totally corrupted something in my program. (I've downloaded program/Mondo patches multiple times) Also, as stated above, even though I can now save my work, now I cannot download updates for my chard cards, bank accounts, etc because it makes me log in and THAT causes the data to convert back to the corrupted files!!

That's why I think it may have something to do with my profile, but what do I know?

Thanks for your help!
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jsarp2 said:
    Hi Jared,
    I did both - Validate and Super Validate - can you please take a look at the attached Text log (I had to save as pdf so I could attach) and see what it produces? i've tried this before and it just looks like a mess to me. lOL

Also, the file that I validated was dated last week, 11/26/22. After I validated, closed Quicken and reopened, it reopened back to the 10-15-21 date again!

No matter what I do - except save to dropbox now - I cannot close and reopen a good Quicken file. Something has totally corrupted something in my program. (I've downloaded program/Mondo patches multiple times) Also, as stated above, even though I can now save my work, now I cannot download updates for my chard cards, bank accounts, etc because it makes me log in and THAT causes the data to convert back to the corrupted files!!

That's why I think it may have something to do with my profile, but what do I know?

Thanks for your help!
    Hello @jsarp2,  

I am sorry to hear that the issue seems to be continuing, even after validating the data file. Thanks for continuing to work with me on this issue. 

If you haven't already, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password
    I hope to hear more about your results, if you have the chance to check back in with us.  

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • jsarp2
    jsarp2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Probably missed it in my prior posts, but when I do what you say above- exactly - a good file closes and reopens up at the 10/15/21 date. That is why I think that the corruption has something to do with my Quicken profile!
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even one instance of "Damaged data block" in the validation log means your data file is irreparably corrupted. You have many such instances. Your file is toast and you will have to start a new file from scratch. You do not need to create a new Quicken profile.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• jsarp2
    jsarp2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    WELL, Finally I got an answer! So is there ANY way that you can think of that I can transfer at least SOME of my 20 years of data into a new file that will not be corrupt? and many thanks for the answer!
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    is there ANY way that you can think of that I can transfer at least SOME of my 20 years of data into a new file that will not be corrupt?
    Pray to your deity or deities of choice?
    Honestly, no. I have never seen a validation log report so much corruption. You'd just be transferring corrupted data.
    If you want to play around, you can try QIF export/import and look at the tools available at https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/ .
    It won't work, but you can turn it into a hobby if you want to.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @jsarp2,

So this is a wild, hairy, response to your pleas.  Have you ever tried to open a backup datafile from a few weeks or perhaps months prior to your infamous "10/25/21" date to see if you might be able to at least start from that point?  I understand that this is not anyway near ideal, but if I were you, I'd be trying anything to get back on track - and then start moving forward from there.

Probably a dumb idea that you've already dismissed but...

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• jsarp2
    jsarp2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    That's not dumb at all. I recreated from that date to now in fact. Problem is that when I sign in to download from my accounts the data becomes totally corrupted - apparently my profile data is bad. Thanks for the try!
  • jsarp2
    jsarp2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Rocket Squirrel-
    Pray to your deity or deities of choice?
    Honestly, no. I have never seen a validation log report so much corruption. You'd just be transferring corrupted data.
    If you want to play around, you can try QIF export/import and look at the tools available at https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/ .
    It won't work, but you can turn it into a hobby if you want to.

Thank you for confirming what I thought! Oh well, goodbye Quicken; it was fun while it lasted! (just noticed price increase again anyway)
This discussion has been closed.