Quicken Premier Continues to be sluggish

dahdojp
dahdojp Member ✭✭
Quicken has been running sluggish for past few months. I've been applying Quicken' s recommended patches, hoping it will be fixed. However, the problem continues to persist. My workaround has been to close Quicken and restart it. It would run great, maybe for a day or so, and goes back to sluggishness, i.e. moving between accounts, entering or typing a new transaction, there is lag between each typed character along moving from one field to another. Currently running R45.13.
Looking for any advise or resolution.
THANK you

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    dahdojp said:
    Quicken has been running sluggish for past few months. I've been applying Quicken' s recommended patches, hoping it will be fixed. However, the problem continues to persist. My workaround has been to close Quicken and restart it. It would run great, maybe for a day or so, and goes back to sluggishness, i.e. moving between accounts, entering or typing a new transaction, there is lag between each typed character along moving from one field to another. Currently running R45.13.
    Looking for any advise or resolution.
    THANK you
    Hello @dahdojp,   

I am sorry about this problem with lethargic program performance. Thank you for letting us know about this here on the Quicken Community.

Is this occurring mainly with One Step Updates? You may additionally try uninstalling the Quicken software using the steps listed in this Support Article, then deleting Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder. You may then reinstall the software after following those steps using the steps listed here.

I look forward to hearing your response. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • dahdojp
    dahdojp Member ✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Is that the only option, as if I uninstall that would mean all the customization would be lost? Would my saved/customized reports be lost as well?
  • Quicken Jared
    edited December 2022
    dahdojp said:
    Is that the only option, as if I uninstall that would mean all the customization would be lost? Would my saved/customized reports be lost as well?
    Hello @dahdojp,  

I am sorry about any confusion regarding the uninstallation and reinstallation process. Thank you for seeking further clarification about this with me.

Your data won't be affected by the uninstallation of the program files, as these are separate from the data file, itself. The customization options are included in this data file, as well, so these should not be affected, either.

I hope that makes the earlier recommendations clearer. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • dahdojp
    dahdojp Member ✭✭
    Reinstall complete. Will monitor to see if that resolved the issue. Thank you
  • tivolo
    tivolo Member ✭✭✭
    @dahdojp
    Since it sounds like restarting the app resolves the issue temporarily, you're likely running into a "resource leak" issue many of us are seeing, which is discussed here:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7923154/slowdowns-and-not-enough-memory-to-proceed-errors

If you want to verify your problem is the same as ours, there are instructions in that thread on how to monitor the "User Object" consumption of the Quicken process and see if your problems correlate to that value running high.
  • dahdojp
    dahdojp Member ✭✭
    @tivolo Thank for your sharing the link. That's exactly what i've been experiencing. @Quicken Jared, with reinstall, after 2-days it started acting up again. I would have to agree with Tivolo that there is a resource leak that's cause the sluggishness with Quicken. Hopefully, there is a patch coming out soon.
    Thanks
  • Quicken Jared
    dahdojp said:
    @tivolo Thank for your sharing the link. That's exactly what i've been experiencing. @Quicken Jared, with reinstall, after 2-days it started acting up again. I would have to agree with Tivolo that there is a resource leak that's cause the sluggishness with Quicken. Hopefully, there is a patch coming out soon.
    Thanks
    Hello @tivolo and @dahdojp,    

I am sorry that these issues seem to have resumed following the restarting and reinstallation of the program. Thank you both for getting back to me with more information about what you are noticing in this situation.

@Chris_QPW's instructions? Were you able to make use of any other troubleshooting maneuvers in order to improve performance? If so, let us know what these may have been, if you have the chance.

I look forward to hearing back from you about this, if you see any other developments.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the "sluggish" problem is caused be the "data leak" issue, where Quicken is running out of User or GDI Objects (a limited resource), I recommend you close Quicken every day after you're done working with it and create a backup of your Quicken data file.
    Not only does that restart the program with a fresh set of User and GDI Objects, it also provides you with more frequent backups, should something go wrong while you're working with Quicken.
    I can only hope that the programmers at Quicken get a handle on this resource leak situation soon.
This discussion has been closed.