Vanguard - detailed tracking missing

Dorothy H
Dorothy H Member ✭✭✭
Quicken for Mac (subscription)
Institution: Vanguard
Connection type: Direct Connect

I changed password on Vanguard and then updated password on Quicken by disconnecting account and reconnecting with new password. After doing so, no detailed tracking displayed. Quicken says that Vanguard does not support detailed tracking.

Can you let me know what I am doing wrong?

On Quicken, both "Vanguard" and "Vanguard - Personal Investors" are options for financial institutions. Is one of these more appropriate to get the detailed tracking?

Answers

• Hello @Dorothy H,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. 

First, I suggest creating a test file and adding the Vanguard account(s) to see if the same issue occurs regarding the detailed tracking. You can create a test file by navigating to File > New > Start from Scratch. Please keep in mind that it is recommended to save a backup before proceeding (just in case). 

Please let me know how this goes. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Dorothy H
    Dorothy H Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken Jasmine

From reading previous posts, others have experienced same issue. Should Vanguard have detailed transactions? If so, why does Quicken say that Vanguard does not offer detailed transactions?

Does Quicken offer the opportunity to change an institution's password without going through the disconnect/reconnect process. If so, can you tell me where that is? If not, is that something I should put in as a "help" ticket?

To clarify, I was downloading detailed transactions until the day I disconnected/reconnected to update Vanguard password. Once reconnected, I linked the Vanguard accounts to the existing quicken accounts. Once linked, the detailed transactions were no longer visible. I disconnected one of the accounts and the detailed transactions were visible on that one account.

I'm not sure about creating a test file because I would be adding a Vanguard account in that instance rather than linking to an existing, which is my situation.
  • Dorothy H
    Dorothy H Member ✭✭✭
    @quicken Jasmine.  I apologize!!  It is my mistake.  I reconnected using Quicken Connect rather than Direct Connect and that seemed to be the root of the problem.  Once reconnected via Direct Connect, it looks like detailed tracking is there.

I am sorry to have led us down a rabbit hole.  All seems good now.
  • Hello @Dorothy H,

Thank you for coming back to update us. 

I am happy to hear that you were able to reach a resolution by switching connection methods. 

Please don't hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns.

-Quicken Jasmine

• vigiolto@
    vigiolto@ Member ✭✭
    reconnecting an account to download transactions from Vanguard. get a message that Quicken only support simple investment accounts (no transactions, just balances). how do I connect to autoupdate Vanguard transactions. I am not able to select direct connect, only Quicken connect. direct connect is grayed out.
  • Hello @vigiolto@,

Thank you for joining this thread to share that you are also experiencing this issue. 

Could you please provide a screenshot showing the FI instance where Direct Connect is greyed out? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.  

I look forward to your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

• vigiolto@
    vigiolto@ Member ✭✭
    here is the screenshot
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited January 2023
    Hello @vigiolto@,

Thank you for providing the screenshot. 

First, I suggest connecting to your Vanguard account(s) using a different instance that allows Direct Connect as an option. You may reference the screenshots below. This instance should be the first instance that appears when searching Vanguard. This instance and the instance that you are currently connected to do have the same URL for the financial institution. You can change the connection method by navigating to Advanced in the bottom right-hand corner and then selecting Direct Connect. 

Please let me know how this goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

• vigiolto@
    vigiolto@ Member ✭✭
    I got that far and now it is not accepting my user name or password. I can login to Vanguard using the same user id and password.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Quicken Jasmine I'm wanting to make sure I understand this correctly: are you saying that only investment accounts with Direct Connect can download detailed transactions, and that Quicken Connect connections can now only support Simple Investing without detailed transactions? As various financial institutions drop support for Direct Connect over time, this seems like it will seriously limit the functionality of Quicken Mac. Or am I misunderstanding your reply? Thanks.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smvl808
    smvl808 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2023
    @jacobs I had trouble with this last year (and again now with one of my accounts not updating) but it seems with quicken updates, settings/buttons/menus are changing. After saving a backup of my data, I went into account settings for one of my vanguard accounts, selected change connection, selected the first vanguard option (which showed I all ready had several accounts there), I hit continue, but then what made the difference was selecting "Advanced" at this point, and that gave me the option to select direct connect, which maintained my detailed tracking. Entered my name and password and everything updated fine...missing downloads populated. It seems there are multiple threads discussing vanguard "simple only" tracking issues. It would be nice if all these would be combined because most seem to be unanswered.
  • Hello @vigiolto@,

Thank you for providing more information, though I do apologize that we have hit a snag. 

Next, I suggest attempting to create a test file and adding the Vanguard accounts using the new instance and the Direct Connect connection method that I previously shared. You can create a test file by navigating to File > New > Start from Scratch. It is recommended to save a backup before proceeding with troubleshooting steps (just in case).

Please let me know how this goes. 

-Quicken Jasmine

This discussion has been closed.