How do I update transactions for one account at a time. (Q Mac)

AudioDoc
AudioDoc Member ✭✭
I'm in the process of switching from Windows to Mac and Quicken is the one app that I'm having trouble making the migration with. The Quicken app just seems totally foreign to me compared to what I'm used to with Windows.
The main issue I have is downloading and updating my transactions from individual financial institution accounts. Quicken wants to update all of my accounts at one time. This can't work for me because some accounts are old and no longer active, but I still want to same them for my records.
So how do I update my accounts, one financial institution at a time? Quicken is the only app that I still have to boot my old Windows PC for, and that is not acceptable!

Answers

• Hello @AudioDoc,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community with these questions, I would be happy to assist you. 

You can navigate to Window > Connectivity Status > Update, however, be advised that this updates all accounts for that Financial Institution. 

You can also Right-Click on any inactive accounts and Mark as Closed which will keep the register and history but will make it so the account is no longer part of the account updates. 

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @AudioDoc  As Jasmine says, you can disconnect an individual account by marking it as closed. However, this also moves the account to the Hidden Accounts list, zeros the balance, etc. If you do not want these additional actions to take place, you can open the account's setting, click the Downloads tab and then Disconnect the account.

As to the account that you choose to remain connected, there are a couple of factors at play. First, when you choose menu Accounts > Update All Accounts (or click the circle/arrow icon at the top of the sidebar), you will cause all accounts to be downloaded.

The other option is Accounts > Update Selected Online Account. Unfortunately, this is a bit of a misnomer. When you choose this options, the collection of accounts that downloads depends on the connection type: Direct Connect or Quicken Connect. For Direct Connect, choosing this option will download every connected account at the same financial institution. For Quicken Connect, ALL accounts that use Quicken Connect at ANY financial institution will be downloaded. This is caused by the nature of the connection types and cannot be changed.

For the above reason and others, it is generally preferred to use Direct Connect when available and there's isn't a fee for its use charged by the FI. You can check if D/C is available by clicking the Options button while setting up the account for downloads. Be aware, however, that D/C is going the way of the dodo bird; Amex being the latest FI to do away with D/C. Previously Chase and Bank of America as well as some brokerage firms have done so.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • AudioDoc
    AudioDoc Member ✭✭
    Thank you Jasmine and Rick! I'll give your suggests a go. I great appreciate your input. In the Windows version I could update the Institution's accounts from from within the register.
  • AudioDoc
    AudioDoc Member ✭✭
    Ok, today I have time to get back to Quicken on my Mac. Since initially installing it when I purchase and set up my Mac Mini M1 and transfered my quicken file from Windows to Mac I have continued working in Quicken for Windows out of frustration with the Mac version.
    My accounts all transferred, but not all of my account registers made the migration to Quicken for Mac especially the account I use most, my Citi Costco card. My passwords in Quicken for Windows were kept in a Password Vault , but it seems they kept in Mac's Keychain, and at the moment I can't find out how to update passwords. I actually don't use keychain much as I have a password manager that I like. I wish there was an easy way to update my this Citi card register from the Windows version with all my attached files (copies of receipts invoices etc). I know some of my issues are learning how things are implemented in the Mac version, but all the other apps I have migrated from Windows to Mac I have managed to get set up and I use them with no issues. Only Quicken is giving me headaches. I suppose it is just going to take more time and patience to learn how things work. I wish the cloud sync feature would work between the Windows version and Mac, but apparently it is only for the mobile version.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you new to Quicken Mac (2015 and newer)?

Welcome.

Getting Started with Quicken for Mac
    https://www.quicken.com/complete-guide-getting-started-quicken-2018-mac
    https://www.quicken.com/getting-started with links to more information and videos

If you haven't done so already, please review these videos for more information about Quicken Mac
    https://www.youtube.com/user/QuickenMac/videos

(OK, so they're a little dated by now, but they will still help you get started)

Help! (Quicken Mac)

Click Help / Quicken Help for additional help on Quicken functions and features.
    A browser-based version is available here:
    https://help.quicken.com/display/MAC/Quicken+for+Mac+Help

• RickO
    @AudioDoc  To update the password in Quicken, open the account's settings on the Download tab. There is a button there to Update Login. You can also view and modify Quicken's passwords stored in the Keychain by using the Keychain Access app. Open Spotlight and type in Keychain Access to launch it.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited December 2022
    Hello @AudioDoc,

You are more than welcome!

Please do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• AudioDoc
    AudioDoc Member ✭✭
    Thank you all for your help! Rick and Jasmine, I've got the issue of connecting to institutions to update/download transactions figured out so that is working now. I just don't know why some accounts migrated transactions from Windows, but the Citi Costco account did not. Wish there was a way to sync my Windows transactions to the Mac version of Quicken.

UKR. Thank you for the links. I'm going to view those guides. I'm sure there is a lot that I can learn from them.
  • tribbiani
    tribbiani Member ✭✭
    edited January 2023
    I was looking at this very question this morning. Looks like I can neither a) select Update in the Connection Status window (no such button exists, I just have the list of accounts and what was updated) nor b) select "Update selected online account" in the Accounts menu (no such menu option exists, I just have "Update all accounts").

Has this been removed recently? Updating just one account (or accounts in a single institution) is an incredibly useful tool to use. This morning's massive connectivity issues/debacle is a perfect case in point. I'd like to just grab updates from one bank, since *all* others are failing... but I can't.
  • RickO
    Yes, "Update Selected Account" was removed in the latest version update. It may come back as some of us have made some pretty good arguments for its use. It was removed because it didn't really do what it said it did. It updated all accounts at that Financial Institution if Direct Connect, or ALL Quicken Connect accounts if Quicken Connect. The fix would be to gray it out when a QC account is selected and change the menu name to "...this financial institution" for DC accounts. We'll see if that happens in the next version. But for now, you are stuck with all or nothing.
  • TomSlick
    TomSlick Member ✭✭
    Ability to update a single account is critical to me. I know it updates all accounts for a single institution with a single sign-on. Basically, QM is totally useless to me without this fix.
  • TomSlick
    TomSlick Member ✭✭
    After failing to sync, I have discovered that pushing the "retry" button at the top of the register updates only that account (and any other accounts that use the same sign-in at that institution). I hope that helps someone. Now, if we could only figure out how to convert that button into keystrokes so we could send the same command to the app, we'd be able to get that feature back.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @TomSlick @tribbiani If you want to see "Update Selected Account" restored, take a few seconds to visit this thread to add your vote. (In the yellow box under the first post, click the little dark gray arrow to increment the vote counter.) 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Mark_Orlando
    Mark_Orlando Member ✭✭
    How do I update all the account for a single institution, the above methods no longer work with the new Status window...
  • Mark_Orlando
    Mark_Orlando Member ✭✭
    I guess there is no way to edit a comment. I noticed I made a typo and there seems to be no way to edit or delete something you posted 10 seconds ago.
  • Mark_Orlando
    Mark_Orlando Member ✭✭
    Note the only reason I want to update just one institution is time. Some of the Institutions take several minutes while some are quick. Note: BTW I am switching my checking account to an institution that offers direct connect, since Bank of America no longer offers it and it's new crappy replacement, "Express Web Connect+", requires that I double enter every future automatic payment now.
  • jacobs
    @Mark_Orlando The platform which runs this site gives greater user privileges the longer you have been a member here. (I believe it's part of the anti-spammer functionality, so a spammer can't create a new account, post something innocuous, and then immediately edit it to some scam offer for Quicken support or similar.) The ability to edit your comments is one which I believe comes after you've had a few posts. There is no way to delete a comment, but if you can edit it, you can just change the text to "[deleted]" or something like that. 

As has been mentioned above, the developers removed "Update Selected Account" because it didn't — ever — actually do that. What it did was dependent on the connection type of the selected account; if it was a  Direct Connect account, choosing "Update Selected Account" would download all connected accounts at the same financial institution, while if it was a Quicken Connect account, choosing "Update Selected Account" would download all accounts configured for Quicken Connect across all financial institutions. So although there was a command called "Update Selected Account", it didn't actually just download one account — and that caused some users to be confused or annoyed.

For some users who clicked on a Direct Connect account and only had a single Direct Connect account at that financial institution, "Update Selected Account" did exactly what it said. But for the majority of users who had two or more Direct Connect accounts at a financial institution, or two or more Quicken Connect accounts at across any financial institutions, it never did what the command said. That's why the developers took away that command.

However, they clearly didn't understand that many users accepted the way it worked, even if it was misnamed. And that some users specifically didn't want lesser-used accounts updated every time. And that for users with a lot of accounts updating all accounts takes a long time compared to the way it had worked before.

The good news is that the Quicken Mac product manager has said they're aware they missed the mark with this change, and are working on a new solution for an upcoming release. I'd guess they don't wasn't to just go back to what existed, because it was misnamed and caused its own confusion, so they're probably working on an alternative which would allow users to update some but not all accounts in a way that the menu command for the selected account more accurately describes what action it will perform. The bad news is that everyone will have to live with it the way it is currently until a future release, which might take a month or two to appear.
  • jacobs
    edited February 2023
    The developers have listened to the outcry over this issue; the command to Update Selected Online Account has been restored in the version 6.12 release.

(As it did before, this command does more than the title suggests: if the account selected is a Direct Connect connection, Quicken Mac updates all accounts at that financial institution, and if the account selected is a Quicken Connect connection, Quicken Mac updates all Quicken Connect accounts from all institutions.)
  • Brad1
    Brad1 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Taking away "Update Selected Account Online" is UNACCEPTABLE. There are multiple reasons why the ability to update just one account (or at least a single institution) and download those transactions, is critical to saving time. For one thing, sometimes a single institution is "down" and this new version means I'm dead in the water until that one is back up. Also, I have a specific order in which I do my banking/recordkeeping. Due to Quicken's imperfect matching of similar transactions (e.g. I have multiple "Chase" and "American Express" cards, etc) I've got various ways of "fudging" the entries so that I can use memorized transactions to save myself time. Same with Transfers between accounts. Can't believe I'm paying a SUBSCRIPTION now and yet Quicken is TAKING FEATURES AWAY. This is the opposite of what I was sold. The product should be getting BETTER, and MORE NUANCED, not worse.
  • Brad1
    Brad1 Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > The developers have listened to the outcry over this issue; the command to Update Selected Online Account has been restored in the version 6.12 release.
    >
    > (As it did before, this command does more than the title suggests: if the account selected is a Direct Connect connection, Quicken Mac updates all accounts at that financial institution, and if the account selected is a Quicken Connect connection, Quicken Mac updates all Quicken Connect accounts from all institutions.)

I'm not seeing 6.12. When is it being released?

Why does the type of connection matter? Quicken Connect has been the "recommended" method for some time, and I definitely have been able to download a single account on the Mac in the past.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2023
    @Brad1 6.12 is already out now - 6.12.2 is the latest version. If you're not getting it when you check for updates via the Quicken menu, try logging into your Quicken account and downloading the software from there.

As for updating single accounts, depending on how your accounts were set up you might have been able to update certain accounts individually - for example if you had only one account with a particular bank and that account was using Direct Connect. And depending on which accounts had new transactions it may have appeared you were only updating one account when using Quicken Connect. But @jacobs description is correct; in fact, confusion about how this works was cited by Quicken as one of the reasons they disabled it - it doesn't do what most people think it does.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

This discussion has been closed.