Downloaded credit card payment transactions not appearing in checking account

Options
William Smith Jr
William Smith Jr Member ✭✭✭
I'm having a bit of an odd problem that just surfaced here in the last few days and not quite sure what the underlying issue may be / how to fix it (though I've found a temporary workaround). The issue at hand is that downloaded transactions related to credit card payments are not immediately showing up as a transaction in the checking account despite the category clearing being "Transfer:[Checking Account Name] The only way so far I've found to address this issue is by changing the category to something else and then changing back to checking account. I've only started to notice the issue this week where I have several credit card payments due.

I'm currently on Version 6.10.3 (Build 610.46328.100).

Does anyone have any ideas on what's going on here / any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Have you restarted the computer?

Are you setting the category/transfer manually or is it being set by a QuickFill rule?

One thing to check would be when you first see this occur, turn on the Transfer column in the register and see if the checking account name is there. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • William Smith Jr
    Options
    @RickO - Thanks for the feedback. Regarding your questions, I had did restart my Mac yesterday for unrelated reasons and it didn't help with this issue. The category/transfer is being set by a QuickFill Rule. Regarding the transfer column, since I already "fixed" the transactions where I was seeing this, the column displays the checking account. I have another account that a payment just went through on so I'll see how that one looks when it comes through and report back.
  • William Smith Jr
    edited December 2022
    Options
    @RickO I just downloaded some additional credit card payment transactions and added the Transfer column as suggested. I'm seeing a red error pointing to the right for the payment transaction that isn't showing up in the checking account. When I click the arrow, I get a prompt noting "This transaction has 1 or more invalid transfers. Click the Edit button to correct them." When I click the Edit button, my checking account appears in the transfer column as it does with previous payment transactions for this and other accounts. Your suggestion at least provides some additional insight but it's not clear to me what exactly is "invalid" here since there's nothing different with this transaction compared to prior payment transactions -- at least as far I can tell anyhow. Appreciate any feedback you can share here as I'm stumped at the moment
  • RickO
    Options
    If I understand correctly, the Category field shows "Transfer:[account name]" but the Transfer field is blank? Please post a screenshot showing this condition. That would definitely be a bug in my opinion.

If not, please post a screenshot of what you are seeing. When posting screenshots, please scroll the transaction up to the column headers and include the column headers in the screenshot.
  • William Smith Jr
    Options
    @RickO - Apologies I wasn't clear. The transfer field is not blank / contains the name of my checking account as I would expect. I've attached a screenshot (modified to exclude specific account names, etc) that includes the most recent transaction Quicken is flagging as an error and the one from last month that posted fine. Based on my eyes, I'm not seeing any difference between the 2 but maybe I'm missing something.
  • RickO
    Options
    If you open the transaction for edit then save it without making any changes, does that correct the invalid transfer error? If so, it sounds like something related to the auto fill of a transfer from a QuickFill. I don't use any of those, so I'm pretty much at a loss to explain. Have you tried contacting Quicken Support and screen sharing with them?
  • William Smith Jr
    Options
    @RickO Simply opening the transaction / saving it does not get rid of the error. I actually need to change the Category to something else and then back as the workaround for the moment. I have not reached out to support yet (wanted to start here) but will try chatting with them and see where things go
  • William Smith Jr
    edited December 2022
    Options
    @RickO - Well I'm back here again as support (or at least the agent I was working with anyhow) was to be frank not helpful at all. The first suggestion was "Delete the transaction and put it back." Changing the category to something else and back (which I've been doing to this point) effectively yields the same result but that is not the fix here. The next suggestion was uninstalling/reinstalling Quicken. I haven't installed any updates between when I didn't have this issue and when this issue started so not really sure how that will help here. Had I installed a new update prior to this issue starting, I would at least be a little more open to the idea but otherwise, that suggestion makes little sense to me. I also offered to do a Screen Share but was not taken up on that offer -- at least not yet.

Update - While I still didn't see much point in doing so, I went ahead and did the uninstall/reinstall, which unsurprisingly did not resolve the issue.   Does anyone else have any thoughts / suggestions?  
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @RickO - Apologies I wasn't clear. The transfer field is not blank / contains the name of my checking account as I would expect. I've attached a screenshot (modified to exclude specific account names, etc) that includes the most recent transaction Quicken is flagging as an error and the one from last month that posted fine. Based on my eyes, I'm not seeing any difference between the 2 but maybe I'm missing something.
    The image you provided seems to show two different spellings of the account name:
    [Checking__Acct__Name] and [Checking_Acct_Name]  <-- I inserted underscores for spaces to show the difference. Look again in your image ...
    Is that why Quicken's having the hiccups of the transfer account name not matching an existing account name?

• William Smith Jr
    Options
    @UKR - The typo was accidental as I had manually edited that text.  The account names are identical in Quicken itself. With that said, I got prompted to install a new update last night and since then, it seems like might have addressed the issue as I had another payment downloaded today that showed up in my checking account without any additional effort.  I'll continue to monitor things and see if that trend continues
  • William Smith Jr
    Options
    Wanted to circle back with an update on this thread as I was away for the holidays and just returned.  Unfortunately, the issue still persists and is broader than I thought.  For any transaction involving a transfer to my checking account (be it a payment debiting from checking account or a deposit into it), I am getting the same invalid transaction error. Does anyone have any other thoughts here?   I'm willing to give support another try since I've already tried the uninstall/reinstall as requested but wanted to see if there's anything else I can try.  I've never encountered this specific issue before and can't recall anything in particular happening prior to it starting that might be related.
  • RickO
    Options
    How about this: Create a new empty checking account and see if a transfer to that account works okay. If so, then drag and drop all transactions from the old checking account to the new and delete the old. Test again. If that works, then connect the new account to the bank. Test again. If that works, we can assume there was some kind of glitch with the old account in the database. The new account should work fine going forward.

Before starting this, make a backup of your file and perhaps even work in a copy of the file until you are sure things are hunky dory. 
  • William Smith Jr
    Options
    @RickO - reasonable suggestion that I'll give a try.  I'll report back with an update. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.