OSU Issues

Comments

• Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭

I have been using Quicken for approximately 20 years. I have never solved any problem by going to support.
    If I do go to support, typically, I spend hours chatting with support and sending logs, etc. They say they are going to escalate it and that's the last I hear from them until I call back a few days later. At that time, they have no record of me ever talking to them and I have to start the troubleshooting all over again and I get the same result. There have been times when this goes on for weeks. 

I have found that the expert users who chime in here can usually head me in the right direction. 

By the way, what does this have to do with Bank Of America? That's not one of my banks.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    So, its not just me? :)

Months of issues with Online Bills and OSU's. But the team is working dilligently and we apologize but have no ETA.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just off a 3 +hour call with Tier 2 support. None of my online billers were working. I"ll spare the details, biut now 80% are. Escalated the other 20%. So kudos to their patience today. In some ways we know how things were fixed and in others we do not. Not looking a gift horse, however.
  • Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bob,

Do you know what had to be done to get the 80% working? Was it something you could do, or was it all on their end?
    I'm still having some problems, but it's not always the same accounts. Some work one day, then the next day it's other accounts. This has been going on for a couple weeks now. 

Thanks
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Message me...
  • AJV-Ohio
    AJV-Ohio Member
    I am using Quicken Premier for Windows. My updates are taking a very long time - I haven't timed them, but it seems like at least 20 minutes or more if I allow it to run that long. I am also seeing that the shares reported in Quicken and those reported in the download from Fidelity don't match, but the Fidelity account (their site) is in agreement with my accounts in Quicken.
  • DDicktel
    DDicktel Member
    Mine is also freezing it happens when you update acounts with different ids and logins at the same bank .. if i update one at a time and not update everything it works properly .... also if it hangs and i close the app ....ctrl alt delete.... it will restart and they will have been updateed ... i have tried the fixes and it is a problem with your server i think...
  • nzeda@
    nzeda@ Member ✭✭✭
    Why is this marked as "answered" when no solution has been provided. I have been facing this issue for more than a month and cannot update my accounts using OSU. I am frustrated... Why am I paying for subscription when the service cannot be provided or is poor in quality?
  • T Burgos
    T Burgos Member
    Is it just me or is One Step Update crashing the program about 60% of the time, and when it does work takes forever?
  • Alan NY
    Alan NY Member
    Some assets are listed a completed but others just circle around and freeze
  • Joseph Witkin
    Joseph Witkin Member ✭✭✭✭
    Me too. One Step Update freezing. Quicken for WIndows
  • mtcrider
    mtcrider Member ✭✭
    I'm having same issues. Past few updates and program doesn't work properly. Tried all of above suggestions with no fix.
  • earlsalvey
    earlsalvey Member ✭✭
    It's not just you, T Burgos. One Step Update is more like One Step Don't Update for a while now! It's terrible! I could try these supposed cures listed above, but they don't seem to work for anyone...
  • richsbca
    richsbca Member ✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Once again Quicken is holding me, hostage, when I need to get to work. Once again, the one-step update process is taking an excessive amount of time! When will Quicken fix this old problem? [Removed - Rant]
  • cdennett
    cdennett Member ✭✭✭
    I'm also experiencing this issue, and FWIW, according to Windows task manager, Quicken is using a constant 30% of the cpu during this time.
  • earlsalvey
    earlsalvey Member ✭✭
    It's not just you, T Burgos. One Step Update is more like One Step Don't Update for a while now! It's terrible! I could try these supposed cures listed above, but they don't seem to work for anyone...
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    earlsalveycdennettrichsbcaearlsalveymtcrider what version of WINDOWS are you running??????

I am on Windows 11 and am not expericing what you are stating....
  • cdennett
    cdennett Member ✭✭✭
    I'm on Windows 10 but I'm not convinced that is the issue.  Seems that only certain types of accounts are hanging.  EWC and/or EWC+ accounts seem to be the culprits.  Let's see what other users have to say about windows 10 vs. 11.
  • earlsalvey
    earlsalvey Member ✭✭
    Windows 10
  • TimeCitizen
    TimeCitizen Member ✭✭
    I'm experiencing the same issue as well. One Step Update is stuck on Updating Account(s).
  • tivolo
    tivolo Member ✭✭✭
    I'm on Win 11 and, for me, OSU has been terribly slow for the past week or more, taking 15+ minutes to complete and generally resulting in one or more of my accounts failing to sync. As @cdennett mentioned, the problem is with accounts using EWC/EWC+ as my few remaining Direct Connect accounts go thru quickly.

I spent some time looking at Quicken's Cloud Sync Log (accessed via Help > Contact Support > Log Files) and learned a lot about what happens internally during OSU. Here are a few takeaways from what I see:

* For each financial institution (FI) for which EWC/EWC+ is enabled, Quicken makes a request to the Quicken servers (services.quicken.com) to initiate a sync of all accounts tied to the FI. Note that this sync gets performed between the Quicken server and the FI -- your local software is not communicating with the FI directly (which is what distinguishes EWC/EWC+ from Direct Connect).
    * Quicken then "polls" the Quicken servers every 3 seconds to see if the sync has been completed, with a limit of 5 minutes per FI. If the sync completes within that time, Quicken downloads the transactions, account balances, holdings, ... Otherwise, Quicken gives up and moves on to the next FI.
    * Because Quicken does the sync one-FI-at-at-time (i.e. not in parallel), any hold up for one FI will affect your overall wait time. In my case, I'm typically seeing two FIs timing out each time I run OSU, which contributes 10 minutes to the overall time to complete. FIs that complete successfully typically do so within 20 - 40 seconds.

Because we can't see what's happening between the FIs and Quicken's servers, it's impossible to say where the problem lies when an FI fails. However, the fact that so many people are affected and, for me, the FIs that fail each day are often different, my belief is that this is a Quicken problem. It could be their servers are overloaded or are simply failing for some fraction of sync requests (but failing in a manner that doesn't provide feedback to the desktop app).

If these sync requests would run in parallel, then any single FI failure would have much less impact to the overall time to perform OSU. Of course, that may also require more resources from Quicken (depending on the request rate the Quicken servers are able to handle), which is why they likely made this process serial despite the impact to the end user.
  • tivolo
    tivolo Member ✭✭✭
    I haven't attempted to escalate yet as Quicken has, at least, acknowledged that a problem exists:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7925832/new-12-19-22-quicken-performance-issue#latest

Although this may be naive, I'm hopeful that they are actually working to address this, especially since I assume this is affecting all their platforms (PC, Mac, Web/Mobile).

@Quicken Jasmine -- If you're monitoring this thread, it would be great to get an update on where this issue stands since it's almost certainly impacting a huge segment of the user base.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @tivolo I have been collecting data for last few days and so far, my findings parallel what you have observed.  Note that those 5-minute timeout are reported as CC-501 errors, at least that is what the few I gotten have done.  I'm doing them in serial (each login as a separate update) and I can tell you that when I have encountered a CC-501 error, that I can repeat the update and get it again, and then I can switch to another login and it will pass.  But it is hard to pin down where the problem is because like you say this is only the sync between Quicken (the program) and the Quicken Cloud dataset, and the first login that failed was for banking/credit cards (Chase proper), and the second was for my wife's investment accounts which is actually JP Morgan.

And I will note that when I get a CC-501 error there isn't any error logged in any of the log files.  So, there isn't any details on it at all, you just know about it because of the 5-minute timeout on the polling for the "aggregation in progress".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Joseph Witkin
    Schwab and BOA failed this morning, worked now (updating one at a time) but San Diego County Credit Union froze… serous issues. Are the crashes corrupting my file? I have daily backups but how far back will we have to go??
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Schwab and BOA failed this morning, worked now (updating one at a time) but San Diego County Credit Union froze… serous issues. Are the crashes corrupting my file? I have daily backups but how far back will we have to go??
    I doubt there's anything wrong with your data file.  More likely some kind of backend server problems. 

And probably add in a bug in quicken too.  Note that there can be a 5-minute time out for every login that has a problem. 
    Signature:
  • Joseph Witkin
    Ending Task to close the file when it’s frozen can’t be good for it…
  • tivolo
    tivolo Member ✭✭✭
    I don't know about anyone else, but today saw a significant improvement in OSU performance/reliability for me. All of my accounts synced successfully in ~5 minutes, which is "good" for me these days. I haven't seen Quicken mark this issue as resolved yet, so not sure if it was just luck or they've made some changes to address this.
  • Joseph Witkin
    Same here. Really hope this is a fix and not a fluke!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Well, here are my results for the timings in the last few days.
    All times are in seconds.

From the 19th to the 22nd I did one account at a time, Chase banking/credit cards, two investment loggins (all Express Web Connect +), then Costco Citi credit card, and then the Macy's and finally a Synchrony bank savings account (last two are Express Web Connect).

My one Direct Connect account:

Express Web Connect + accounts (Chase).

Express Web Connect accounts:

All the accounts at the same time (on the 23rd and 24th):

As you can doing them all at the same time does make it faster.
    I think this is mostly due the fact that Express Web Connect can actually run in parallel to both Express Web Connect + and Direct Connect.  Note that for each Direct Connect login they are run serially, but you can't see that here because I only have one of those accounts, not to mention that it being 5 to 6 seconds to send and receive the data.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.