Bank of America & Quick Pay

I had paid my bills through Quicken and the Bank of America Direct Connect for many years. I understand that I have to pay bills through Bank of America via Quick Pay or Check Pay in Quicken. I was on the phone with tech support for an hour and half and they could not get my Quick Pay to work for me with my BOA accounts, and finally said that Quick Pay will not work with Bank of America accounts. Is that true?

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just go to the BoA web-site and pay my bills there now. I then record the transaction in Quicken. I don't trust Quicken's Bill Manager (Bill Pay & Check Pay).
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Delta KJ
    Delta KJ Member
    Greg; Have you tried to pay bills using Quick Pay and BOA? If so, were you successful?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    If you're asking about paying bills through Quicken using Bill Manager (which includes Quick Pay and Check Pay), no I haven't and have no interest in using it. It's unreliable and goes through a 3rd party and not BoA.
  • williamspl
    williamspl Member ✭✭
    I have also experienced serious problems using the New Check Pay and Quick Pay features in Quicken.

Before the Quicken payment update, I also used BOA for my payments with Quicken. and, all went well!

But, I decided to give Q a try with Check Pay, so I could deal with payments in one place.

Unfortunately, my use of Q Check Pay had been a disaster!

I've had to make duplicate payments at least 3 times in the past several weeks for our payments to be on-time. Spending plenty of unnecessary time in follow-up mode.

Most recently, I initiated a payment to my wife's Talbot account on 11/17 to be paid via check on 11/18.
    - Currently (11/30), the Q register shows a status of " Estimated delivery date: 2022-11-25 (5 days
    ago)".
    - All other checks that I show as cleared have a status of "Printed and delivered to US Mail", but not
    Talbots.
    - Q's 2nd tier said the check was delivered on 11/25. So, why does Q not reflect that?
    - Called Talbots and they have not received to check.
    - Quicken's only advice was for me to stop payment with BOA and issue my payment via BOA.
    - So sad, but I did!

I'm interested to know what other's experience has been with Q Check Pay?

Would also be nice to know what Quicken is doing to address this very serious issue?

30+ year MYM and Quicken user - using Q Premier Win 10
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @williamspl - if you are a BofA customer, why isn't just easier to use the BofA Billpay?  isn't it reliable? 
  • williamspl
    williamspl Member ✭✭
    Then I have to maintain records in both Quicken and BOA.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I much rather maintain records in both Quicken and BoA than deal with QuickPay or CheckPay. At least I know the payments will be sent.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @williamspl - please explain what records you have to maintain at both BofA and Quicken? I use BofA and Quicken and don't feel like I am maintaining records in both systems.,....yes, what few Billpays I do are initiated at BofA, but the 'check register" is maintained in Quicken - is that what you mean? 

if Checkpay is a 'disaster' and BofA BillPay is reliable, is there even a discussion?

in today's world, why is BillPay used AT ALL.  Most every Biller (and I appreciate there are one off exceptions) accepts credit cards/ debit cards at their website, there are dependeable and trustworthy auto-debit features, Zelle, Paypall, etc.  Frankly, if I use Billpay once per quarter, it is a lot. 

Times are a changin';.and systems that create checks (e.g. Billpay) are slowly dying. 

• MangoMan
    MangoMan Member ✭✭✭
    Long story short - It is very frustrating that Quicken has made a step backwards. This new method is unreliable and I have yet to get Quickpay to recognize several major billers (still waiting on verifications). It is very confusing to use and I have been charged now twice over $100 for late payments due to the new method. Quicken is also crashing more often for me.
  • Been there, done everything to get it going. I now do everything in BOA, It's to bad BOA had to change things, but I guess it's for the best..
  • Greg_the_Geek
    FWIW, it was BoA's decision to move from DC to EWC+, not Quicken's. I just use BillPay on the BoA website and have scheduled transactions in Quicken.  I have no interest in using QuickPay. It's unreliable and goes through a 3rd party and not BoA.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @MangoMan - curious, why would you use Q's Billpay - do you bank at an institution that provides the same service? since you posted to a thread including BofA, is that your bank and if so, why are you not using their Billpay service?????
  • Boston75
    Boston75 Member ✭✭
    Yes it is, I thought it would be more convent ..before BOA stopped paying through Quicken...
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Is QuickPay working with BofA, again?  When banks started transitioning from DC to EWC+ it was announced that QuickPay no longer worked with those banks. But CheckPay continued to work.

Not long ago it was announced that QuickPay was restored with with Chase but only with Quicken Mac, not with Quicken Win.  I have not heard anything since then that QuickPay has been restored with any other EWC+ bank when using Quicken Win.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Boston75 - not following the comment "BofA not paying through quicken" - BofA pays the billers directly, whether you have Q or not.  Maybe you mean the transactions don't download to Q until the bill is actually paid (no different than a check you write clearing the bank).

It also begs the question, why even use BillPay at BofA, except for unique circumstances.  So many billers accept credit cards (and I get paid 1.5% back for using the card!) / debit cards at their website, auto-debit is available, etc.  I used to use Billpay 3-4 times per month and I am now down to once per quarter at best.  
  • I log into BOA look at what is being paid, instead of going to each website to look, plus I like the fact I schedule the payments with Autopay, but was told Quicken will not download payments that are in the future, only paid transactions, not scheduled...
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @boston burner 

<<Quicken will not download payments that are in the future, only paid transactions, not scheduled..>>

kinda sorta..... the EWC+ communication technology only picks up actual transactions, not future transactions.... it was a Banking industry choice - not a Quicken choice. 

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being able to download scheduled bill payments from a bank is a feature that is only available with DC Bank Bill Pay.

Downloading scheduled bill payments from a bank has never been a feature of EWC/EWC+ nor WC. 

To compensate for this where DC Bank Bill Pay is not set up the common practice is to either manually enter the pending bill payments in the account registers or to set up Bill Reminders which can be easily edited/entered at the appropriate time.  These Bill Reminders can also be set up so they are automatically entered X number of days before the due day so there is little effort involved with them.  Then when the actual bill payment has been cleared at the bank and downloaded into Quicken it will be matched to the manual entry or Bill Reminder entry.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Boston75
    Boston75 Member ✭✭
    This what I do now...
This discussion has been closed.