Adding New Data File

I am now helping my parents pay their bills, as they can’t keep up with it. Can I create a new data file Mom&Dad and manage their checking & savings on my copy Quicken for Mac? Any problems?

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you sure can. Click menu File > New... and then Start From Scratch in the dialog that appears. The new file will be given a name based on your Mac user ID. Use menu File > Rename... to change it to Mom and Dad. Use menu File > Open Recent to easily switch between the files. 

The files will operate independently. This is exactly how it's recommended to handle this kind of situation.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you sure can. Click menu File > New... and then Start From Scratch in the dialog that appears. The new file will be given a name based on your Mac user ID. Use menu File > Rename... to change it to Mom and Dad. Use menu File > Open Recent to easily switch between the files. 

The files will operate independently. This is exactly how it's recommended to handle this kind of situation.
  • Thank you so very much!
    I sure Don want to do anything to interfere with my files, but it sounds like it will be aok! Happy New Year!
  • RickO
    edited December 2022
    Your regular file will be fine. The only thing that might possible go wrong is losing track of where that file is if, for example, you accidentally click Clear Menu in File > Open Recent. That's easy to fix, but you have to know the "secret" default location where your data files are stored. That location is Users > (your username) > Library > Application Support > Quicken. To open the user Library folder, click the Go menu in Finder while holding down the Option key on the keyboard.
  • I will definitely save this note from you in case it happens! Thanks so much!
This discussion has been closed.