Need just checkbook program, Quicken version or other

tangle1105
tangle1105 Member
edited February 2023 in Before you Buy
I have used Quicken since the beginning of time... Currently have 2014, and new laptop on the way with Windows 11. At my senior age, I just need a checkbook program, none of bill paying etc. and don't want to pay for a subscription. I just want to load Quicken on the new laptop... Am I drowning in the ocean and done with Quicken or ??? thanks!

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stick with 2014 and follow the fix that is described in this thread for 2017:
    You will find the folder/files you are looking for in an Intuit folder with the Quicken folder under it.
    Hopefully, everything will work out for you.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Thanks, I will try this when new laptop comes in. This all started as I was running Windows 8.1 on a 12 year old laptop, and it is slowly dying... so of course, went to buy Turbo Tax again and have to have windows 10.. so.... office is 2010, all is outdated... ugh ugh.. may have to keep old laptop for just Quicken, till I figure it out!!! I am getting too old for this computer stuff!
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the old one is dying, make sure that you make a copy of the folder NOW because there is now hope without it.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• I too only use the checkbook to keep track and reconcile. I do not need additional features. What should I get to continue this only? And I do not want the program on my phone.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Quicken is much more than a simple checkbook manager, but there are certainly people who use it for just that purpose. There is no basic or stripped down version of Quicken.

Quicken is sold only as a subscription product, and it's been that way for nearly five years. That means you have two choices: purchase a subscription and use the latest version of Quicken on a current operating system, or find an old, pre-subscription version of Quicken to run on your computer. On Windows, a version as old as Quicken 2013 still runs on current versions of Windows; a future Windows upgrade might break it, but for now it works. On Mac, if you can find a copy of Quicken 2017 on eBay or elsewhere, it will still run on the current Mac operating system, but you may run into problems registering it. And it may not work with future iterations of the macOS.

There are other software programs available which might meet your needs for a simple checkbook manager, but I'm not familiar with them, and we aren't allowed to discuss other products on Quicken's forum. ;)  
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.