QM 6.11: Update Single Account MIssing from Accounts Menu

Lysander Spooner
Lysander Spooner Member ✭✭✭✭
Up to 6.10 I could download account transactions for a single account. There was a command on the Account Menu called Update Selected Account.
In 6.11 this command is missing. Why? is this a bug or intentional?

Is there a new way to update a single account? 

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Well that is super annoying. I often need to update my checking account, which is direct connect and happens very quickly. Have to do all accounts, which takes a very long time, is going to be super annoying.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Lysander Spooner
    Yes, why would they remove it? Often I only need to update one or two accounts. Having to go through all the accounts is a pain.
  • RickO
    edited December 2022
    I would guess it's because there's a lot of confusion about what it means. You may know that as it previously existed, using Update Selected Account was a misnomer. When used, it would update all accounts a Direct Connect bank, or it would update all Quicken Connect accounts if the selected account is QC. This caused a lot of confusion and we frequently were answering questions about this on the forum.

However, there was another solution. That would be to gray out the menu item when a QC account is selected. And change the wording when a DC account is selected to "Update All Accounts At This Financial Institution". That would have eliminated the confusion but retained the functionality for those of us who rely on it.
  • Lysander Spooner
    Well for those of us who were not confused it is a downgrade. There is no mention in the release notes about why this "fix" was made.
  • RickO
    Agree
  • Matt Comer
    Matt Comer Member ✭✭✭
    I agree. Why was this removed. And why was no mention made of it? 
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    From what I am able to understand the single account download was removed because of future migrations to the Quicken web base. Not sure Ive explained this properly but perhaps Rick can be more precise. I also observed that the time of the the downloads is quite slow (5+ mins) if you change the connectivity status from always to never 
  • Lazarus Long
    Lazarus Long Member ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure you used to be able to "Update selected online account". Now, you can only update all accounts. Or am I missing something?
  • Lysander Spooner
    edited December 2022
    From what I am able to understand the single account download was removed because of future migrations to the Quicken web base.

What? I have no clue what this means.
    What does "migrations to the Quicken web base" have to do with my question?
    All I want is the ability -- that has been there for years -- to update a single account restored.
    Quicken has given no explanation as to why they would remove this functionality.

Would someone from Quicken please provide information about why this was removed and when it will be restored?    
  • RickO
    From what I am able to understand the single account download was removed because of future migrations to the Quicken web base. Not sure Ive explained this properly but perhaps Rick can be more precise. I also observed that the time of the the downloads is quite slow (5+ mins) if you change the connectivity status from always to never 
    I think what you mean is the transition to QWC+ and away from Direct Connect. If Direct Connect were gone, then single FI update would never happen. While many FIs are moving away from DC, I believe it will be with us for a good time coming. As I indicated above, I believe the reason for this change is the frequent misunderstandings from users because of the menu wording.

What do you mean buy "change the connectivity status from always to never"? Are you talking about the option of when to display the Connectivity Status window? If so, that would have nothing to do with how long a full download takes. That option simply controls whether this window pops open automatically when the downloads are all finished.
  • Lazarus Long
    Lazarus Long Member ✭✭✭
    Glad it's not just me
  • Lysander Spooner
    edited December 2022
    RickO said:
    I think what you mean is the transition to QWC+ and away from Direct Connect. If Direct Connect were gone, then single FI update would never happen. While many FIs are moving away from DC, I believe it will be with us for a good time coming. As I indicated above, I believe the reason for this change is the frequent misunderstandings from users because of the menu wording.

This is all very fascinating, but I still have many Direct Connect accounts.
    If, as you speculate, Quicken thought the command confusing there are a number of things they could have done than silently removing it.

Honestly, I cannot see how it was confusing. If you a looking at the register for Bank X and then go to the Accounts menu and see a command, "Update Selected Account" what else could it mean? You have selected an account and are viewing it right now. Want to update it? Great, use this command.

Again this command has been in Quicken forever. If some users do not want it, OK, offer a control in Application Settings to hide it.

Even Quicken Help for Mac sill shows how to do this:

• Lysander Spooner
    The command is still in Quicken Help:

• RickO
    The command is still in Quicken Help:
    And that help info is/was not accurate since ALL QC accounts are downloaded together even at different banks.
  • billeye10
    billeye10 Member ✭✭✭
    I can’t agree more that removing Selected Account is REALY super annoying and have to do all accounts takes a long time. In addition to that, if on account blows up with issue like duplicate transactions or wrong transactions then you have a bigger problem to back out of. In stead of maybe restoring the backup and fix and redownload one account all the account will need to be done again. This was not thought through. Maybe I missed it but I did not see this change in the Release Notes. PLEASE put downloading the selected account back in SOON.
  • GregSimm
    GregSimm Member
    The last update removed the upload bank feature that i used every day!! Update selected account is gone in version 6.11.1 please bring it back and save me hours of manual typing every entry!! Mac version
  • RickO
    GregSimm said:
     save me hours of manual typing every entry!! 
    You don't have to type every entry; you can still download. Use menu Accounts > Update All Accounts or click the Circle/Arrow icon at the top of the sidebar. You will still get your transactions downloaded. However, if the account in question is Direct Connect, you will have to wait longer for the download to complete (minutes instead of seconds) while all your Quicken Connect accounts also download.
  • billeye10
    billeye10 Member ✭✭✭
    I don’t use the word HATE often but now I HATE not being able to update only one account at a time!!! I am having a download issue with one account out of 17 account and I have to update ALL 17 just to troubleshoot one account. Quicken, Get your head out of where ever it is and get into the real world PLEASE!!! Put the feature back real soon please
  • Lysander Spooner
    Do Quicken employees monitor this forum? If so, why no response?
  • I am running
    Quicken Premier
    Version 6.11.1 (Build 611.47285.100)

command-u seems to attempt to update all accounts.

I am searching for a way to just update the selected account / accounts under same financial institution.

And I have not found it yet.

Help Please
  • Franniedc
    Franniedc Member ✭✭
    open the account, go to settings wheel for the account open, top right and click download transactions. only that account will update
  • RickO
    edited January 2023
    @rdmcelrath The above answer posted by @Franniedc is for QWin and won't help for QMac.

In v6.11, the Update Selected Account was removed. The reason is that it never actually updated only one account. In the case of Direct Accounts, it would update all accounts at that bank. In the case of Quicken Connect accounts, it would update all QC accounts. But rather than just remove Update Selected Account, the better solution would have been to disable the item when a QC account is selected and change the name of the menu item to "Download all accounts at this Financial Institution" when a DC account is selected. For now, if you updated to 6.11, you are stuck with updating all accounts. 

Please hop over to 
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7927361/put-back-update-selected-account-option-on-the-accounts-tab-in-quicken-for-mac/p1 and express your displeasure with and vote on not being able to update a single DC bank's accounts by themselves.
  • Franniedc
    Franniedc Member ✭✭
    sorry about the Q win suggestion. good luck with the mac. we are in this together
  • Thank you all - I found the other thread - shortly after I posted my question. Kind of sucks - but what can you do.

I've used quicken since the 90's. And long after switching to the mac - I ran quicken for Windows via Parallels Desktop. The migration over to native Quicken for Mac has been jarring, and somewhat painful. But at least they are still developing on it.
  • I was shocked that this was removed. I also have many accounts some with 2-factor requiring interactions. I vote to restore this feature. If the new "web connector" has to do all accounts, they need to change the specifications to allow it to only do selected accounts. This software widget is an entity of their making, they should be able to make it work like it did in the past or they are completely incompetent or resistant to user and marketing change.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I think they have enough problems with syncing already; the last thing they should be doing right now is making it more complicated than it already is. But then, I'm an old curmudgeon who refuses to use anything other than Direct Connect, so what do I know? 

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Lysander Spooner
    Looks like Quicken is committed to this change. The online help shows they removed this section:

That and the fact that Quicken has not responded to all the complaints on this forum means they do not care what you think.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I don't think it's "they do not care what you think" at all. I think they made this change to resolve one problem, and didn't fully anticipate the problems it would create for some users.

The problem is that the old only Update Selected Online Account did not actually do what it said. If the account you selected was a Direct Connect account, it would download all Direct Connect accounts at that financial institution; if the account you selected was a Quicken Connect account, it would download all Quicken Connect accounts. So the description of downloading a single account was incorrect, and had been that way since modern Quicken Mac debuted more than 8 years ago. There was never a way to download a single account (although it might have seemed that way if you had only a single Direct Connect account at a particular financial institution, or if you only had a single Quicken Connect account).

This caused confusion for users quite frequently. So the developers apparently decided that in order to not create such confusion, they would get rid of the Update Selected Online Account option which didn't actually do what it said it would. To me, that makes sense.

Unfortunately, they apparently didn't understand that for many users, the ability to download some (if not one) accounts at a time instead of all accounts at a time was useful and important. If downloads generally worked flawlessly, it might not be an issue, but because users often experience errors/problems with one or more accounts, having all accounts download together made the user experience worse for those users. They likely didn't do tests that simulated what a user with a large number of accounts with a large number of transactions across many financial institutions would experience in the time it now takes do download all. They likely didn't understand that some people's workflows are to look at certain accounts frequently and others less frequently.

So the change solved one problem, but created others. Hopefully they will come up with some solutions to resolve the issues the change has created.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    And one such solution would be the one I described here. From other discussions, I have a feeling they may go that way.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @RickO Your suggestion would definitely be helpful to people with DC accounts who now cannot download then individually. I'm just not sure that it wouldn't re-introduce some of the confusion they were trying to remove, because some users would see the Update Selected Account grayed out and not understand why.

I've never understood why they couldn't program the downloads from the Quicken aggregation server to only download a selected account (or even to download everything but ignore all but the selected account), but I understand it was never designed to work that way. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.