Investments/Savings, with multiple accounts, not updating properly

ken-obi
ken-obi Member ✭✭
Hello, I'm a Quicken subscription Mac user. I have a savings account with two "accounts" in it. Quicken will routinely download the transactions of both accounts, but only record the interest of one.

Similarly, I have an investment portfolio where it will record the transactions of two of the accounts, but not the third.

Lastly, for the investment portfolio, when I click on the account in Quicken it gives me a total for my investments, but when I look at the accounts summary on the left, my investments are $12K less.

I appreciate this is a laundry list of issues. But I've put up with them for a while and just want to get them resolved.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    ken-obi said:
    Hello, I'm a Quicken subscription Mac user. I have a savings account with two "accounts" in it. Quicken will routinely download the transactions of both accounts, but only record the interest of one.

Similarly, I have an investment portfolio where it will record the transactions of two of the accounts, but not the third.

Lastly, for the investment portfolio, when I click on the account in Quicken it gives me a total for my investments, but when I look at the accounts summary on the left, my investments are $12K less.

I appreciate this is a laundry list of issues. But I've put up with them for a while and just want to get them resolved.
    Hello @ken-obi,       

I am sorry to hear about these problems with missing interest information, and other missing transaction data. Thank you for letting us know about this here on the Quicken Community. 

Are these issues associated with a particular financial institution's accounts, and if so, which one? Also, what Connection Type are you making use of in order to connect your accounts to online banking services? You can check this by clicking one of the affected accounts in the Account List on the left-hand side of the Quicken panel and then navigating to the Settings menu denoted by the 'gear' icon in the lower right-hand corner of the screen. The Downloads tab in the window that appears should contain this information. 

I look forward to hearing back from you about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • ken-obi
    ken-obi Member ✭✭
    Hi Quicken Jared, thanks for answering back and your patience as I get through the holidays. I have two accounts that are effected: Barclays and Fidelity. The connection type for Fidelity is: Direct Connect. The connection type for Barclays is: Quicken Connect (FDP_DEFAULT).
  • Quicken Jared
    ken-obi said:
    Hi Quicken Jared, thanks for answering back and your patience as I get through the holidays. I have two accounts that are effected: Barclays and Fidelity. The connection type for Fidelity is: Direct Connect. The connection type for Barclays is: Quicken Connect (FDP_DEFAULT).
    Hello @ken-obi,  

I am sorry to hear that these issues are continuing, and it is my pleasure to be of assistance. Thank you for answering my earlier questions about this issue.

If you have the chance, it would help us to troubleshoot the situation if you could save a backup by going to File > Save a Backup... in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open and then create a new 'test' data file by following the steps listed below:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select New
    3. Select Start from scratch
    4. Click Next
    5. Choose appropriate default categories based on geographic location
    6. Click Next
    7. Choose Don't use Quicken Mobile & Web
    8. Click Next 

You may then add your Barclays- and Fidelity-affiliated accounts in the newly created data file by clicking on the Add Account button denoted by the '+' symbol in the upper left-hand panel of the screen, choosing your financial institution and entering your credentials as prompted. I am curious whether or not these issues continue in this data file. 

I look forward to hearing about your results. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jaredd

• ken-obi
    ken-obi Member ✭✭
    Hey Jared,

Okay, I've replicated the steps suggested. It's solved one (maybe both) of the problems in that, when setting up the accounts, Quicken noticed that I had multiple sub-accounts. I was able to bring them into the new instance.

The only issue still remaining is that with Fidelity, it still has a discrepancy between the detailed view and the summary in the left-hand window. The left-hand summary now shows what Fidelity reports in my account, but the detailed view shows a different amount.
  • Quicken Jared
    ken-obi said:
    Hey Jared,

Okay, I've replicated the steps suggested. It's solved one (maybe both) of the problems in that, when setting up the accounts, Quicken noticed that I had multiple sub-accounts. I was able to bring them into the new instance.

The only issue still remaining is that with Fidelity, it still has a discrepancy between the detailed view and the summary in the left-hand window. The left-hand summary now shows what Fidelity reports in my account, but the detailed view shows a different amount.
    Hello @ken-obi,       

Thanks so much for getting back to me with the results from the test file. I am glad to hear that some progress seems to have been made, although I am sorry about this continuing discrepancy between the Accounts List and other balances.

First, if the problem with the Barclay's account continues in your original data file (which you should be able to find by navigating to File > Open Recent), then it may be worth speaking with Quicken Support about this through the link provided here. Note that if you are satisfied with using the new data file going forward, then this will not be necessary. 

Regarding your Fidelity account: does it appear to be the case that transactions listed as pending in your Fidelity account history are not being included in the Accounts List balance in the left-hand side of the screen?

I am eager to hear your answer.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • ken-obi
    ken-obi Member ✭✭
    Hi Jared,

So, I think I understand what has happened. When I first put the Barclays and Fidelity accounts in Quicken years ago, I only had one "account" each. Then, over time, I added sub-accounts. But because they weren't set up that way in Quicken, Quicken was just treating all transactions as one account each. Subsequently, it was missing some transactions, etc.

I suppose I could delete the old accounts and replace them with the updated versions. But I notice that it only pulls transaction data from September '22 forward. These accounts go back years. Will that data likely be lost? Is there a way to merge the old data with the new accounts?

As for the discrepancy in Fidelity, I hope it is pending transactions as it shows me $11K ahead of what I actually have :) but I know I have no pending transactions, etc. Honestly, as long as the left-hand column is correct, I'm not too worried about it.

Thanks for your help!

Ken
  • Quicken Jared
    edited January 2023
    ken-obi said:
    Hi Jared,

So, I think I understand what has happened. When I first put the Barclays and Fidelity accounts in Quicken years ago, I only had one "account" each. Then, over time, I added sub-accounts. But because they weren't set up that way in Quicken, Quicken was just treating all transactions as one account each. Subsequently, it was missing some transactions, etc.

I suppose I could delete the old accounts and replace them with the updated versions. But I notice that it only pulls transaction data from September '22 forward. These accounts go back years. Will that data likely be lost? Is there a way to merge the old data with the new accounts?

As for the discrepancy in Fidelity, I hope it is pending transactions as it shows me $11K ahead of what I actually have :) but I know I have no pending transactions, etc. Honestly, as long as the left-hand column is correct, I'm not too worried about it.

Thanks for your help!

Ken
    Hello @ken-obi

Thanks so much for getting back to me about your results, and for letting us know how things turned out. I am glad to hear that the situation seems to have become clearer following our last exchange. I especially appreciate the added detail about the situation.

Are you referring to a newly set-up account that is downloading recent transaction data? You may be able to download the older transaction data from prior to last September by downloading and importing QFX files, via the process described in this Support Article if so.

In regards to your Fidelity accounts, this sounds like more than just an issue with pending transaction data being added; if this is continuing in the test file, then given the connection method, it will be necessary to reach out to Fidelity support in regards to the problem. I recommend requesting a 'Tier 2' agent or escalations team if you are on the line with them, as this may be necessary in order to diagnose and investigate the issue further. 

I hope that is helpful. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.