Does anyone use Parallels on a MacBook to run quicken windows Home and Business ?

BeanCounter63
BeanCounter63 Member ✭✭
edited February 2023 in All Things Canadian (Mac)
Is anyone running Quicken Windows based Hime and Business on a Mac Book using Parallels? How well does it work? How complicated is it to set up? I’m not a computer Geek 😬.

Answers

• jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    Which type of Mac (Intel or M1/M2), that will make a difference. I run Parallels on my Intel Mac more many years with little problems. It doesn't matter what version of Quicken you are running, it is really the same program.
  • dwkenner
    dwkenner Member
    I have run quicken on parallels on both Intel and the new M1 chip. I do not see a significant difference. I have tried Quicken for Mac several times also. I prefer the cleaner interface and it is a lot cleaner. Unfortunately the quicken for Mac version is way behind in a lot of key areas. Best of luck.
  • BeanCounter63
    BeanCounter63 Member ✭✭
    > @jfclague said:
    > Which type of Mac (Intel or M1/M2), that will make a difference. I run Parallels on my Intel Mac more many years with little problems. It doesn't matter what version of Quicken you are running, it is really the same program.

I haven’t purchased a Mac yet, but looking at either the MacbookPro or the MacBookAir, both with the M2 chip. Is it a difficult set up to get Parallels up and running? I’ve been using Quicken Home and Business for many years and the current Quicken MAC offerings are limited in Canada.
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @jfclague said:
    > Which type of Mac (Intel or M1/M2), that will make a difference. I run Parallels on my Intel Mac more many years with little problems. It doesn't matter what version of Quicken you are running, it is really the same program.

I haven’t purchased a Mac yet, but looking at either the MacbookPro or the MacBookAir, both with the M2 chip. Is it a difficult set up to get Parallels up and running? I’ve been using Quicken Home and Business for many years and the current Quicken MAC offerings are limited in Canada.
    This is the Parallels M1 forum that I follow and there are some good resources on here:

https://forum.parallels.com/forums/parallels-desktop-for-apple-silicon-m1-mac.788/

• BeanCounter63
    BeanCounter63 Member ✭✭
    > @dwkenner said:
    > I have run quicken on parallels on both Intel and the new M1 chip. I do not see a significant difference. I have tried Quicken for Mac several times also. I prefer the cleaner interface and it is a lot cleaner. Unfortunately the quicken for Mac version is way behind in a lot of key areas. Best of luck.

I haven’t purchased a Mac yet, but looking at either the MacbookPro or the MacBookAir, both with the M2 chip. Is it a difficult set up to get Parallels up and running? I’ve been using Quicken Home and Business for many years and the current Quicken MAC offerings are limited in Canada and I don’t want to give up the features I have in the Home and Business version, that pertain to Investments especially.
  • Dave Keesee
    Dave Keesee Member ✭✭
    I have been running Quicken for Windows using Parallels on macs for years (as in probably 15). It has always been fine. With the changeover to the M1 chip it is a little more involved and gave me pause. Since the M1 chip is an ARM chip, you must run Windows ARM in parallels. Quicken seems to run fine - but the ARM version of Windows is not licensed separately. You have to download an evaluation copy - and hope it all works out. I had a bit of challenging with licensing but eventually was able to upgrade my windows license to a Windows 10 pro license - which Microsoft seemed to require to run the ARM version. It's all worked fine for me - but I have say the transition to the M1 chip mac was more stressful due to the Windows licensing concern.
  • BeanCounter63
    BeanCounter63 Member ✭✭
    Thank you Dave Keesee. I sounds like more than I’m up for. It’s unfortunate Intuit hasn’t come up with MAC version of Home and Business that offers the same attributes as the Windows version, instead of a one size fits all dumbed down version in the Deluxe edition. Frustrating.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    As an aside, consider VMWare Fusion, which is as good as Parallels, and better in some ways, plus it is FREE for personal use, since version 12.
    VMWare is a $13Billion company vs $100Million Parallels, and specializes in virtualisation/hypervisors.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• BeanCounter63
    BeanCounter63 Member ✭✭
    > @smayer97 said:
    > As an aside, consider VMWare Fusion, which is as good as Parallels, and better in some ways, plus it is FREE for personal use, since version 12.
    > VMWare is a $13Billion company vs $100Million Parallels, and specializes in virtualisation/hypervisors.

I’ll take a look at that. Is it any easier to get up and running than Parallels?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really. They both try to make it as easy as possible, so if all goes well, it is easy. But it is not perfect, so subject to potential challenges.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.