Can I use two separate Quicken ID's on the same Computer

I would like to maintain 2 separate Quicken IDs for separate data files belonging to 2 different organizations. I want the cloud syncs to be separated. It appears the cloud login credentials are PC based and not in the data file. Is there a way the ID credentials are changed when different data files are opened? Maybe I am making this too hard and am asking for some general advice.

Best Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If QMobile QWeb are going to be used, you will need two Quicken IDs and two licenses.  If you only have one license, then anyone with the Quicken Id using QMobile/QWeb could see both organizations Quicken information.
    So, you will need to do the Sign in as a different user to switch between data files and I suggest that you do it while having a third dummy file open.  The dummy file can be as simple as a single cash account with no transactions.  But you want it to be the open data file when your do the ID change so the the data files for the organizations do not get their IDs messed up in any way by opening them with the wrong ID.
    So the sequence would be:
    1. Work with Org A file using Org A ID, when finished
    2. Open dummy data file
    3. Sign in as a different user using Org B ID
    4. Open Org B file, do your work with that file
    I would also always make it a habit to open the dummy data file first when your start Quicken since you may not remember which ID you used last and believe me, Quicken remembers, so play it safe.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Oh and the best way to always open the dummy file when starting Quicken is to have your Quicken shortcut on the desktop point to the .QDF dummy file, not the .EXE executable program file, that way Windows will start Quicken with the dummy file each time.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    If you are going to go the route of 2 separate Quicken IDs it will require you to have 2 different subscriptions.  Then you can do Sign in as a different user each time you want to swap out between the two different subscriptions.  (Generally you can have only 1 Quicken installation on a computer at a time.) 

But you don't need to go to that extreme.  You can use just one Quicken ID (one subscription) for multiple unique data files.  Just make sure that each data file is created as a NEW one and is not simply a Windows copy of the other (very important).  Make sure to give each data file a unique name (very important).  They will then have their own unique Cloud Account IDs so no data files cross-talk occurs helping to ensure data integrity.  You can even assign unique data file PWs to each of them so that if there are multiple people accessing the data files they can only access the data file(s) that they have been given the PW(s) for.

If you already have both of these organizations in one data file now, let me know and I can walk you through how to separate them into different data files with unique Cloud Account IDs.  It's fairly simple but can take a little time to complete.

I have been doing this with up to 5 different data files for many years and it works really well.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If QMobile QWeb are going to be used, you will need two Quicken IDs and two licenses.  If you only have one license, then anyone with the Quicken Id using QMobile/QWeb could see both organizations Quicken information.
    So, you will need to do the Sign in as a different user to switch between data files and I suggest that you do it while having a third dummy file open.  The dummy file can be as simple as a single cash account with no transactions.  But you want it to be the open data file when your do the ID change so the the data files for the organizations do not get their IDs messed up in any way by opening them with the wrong ID.
    So the sequence would be:
    1. Work with Org A file using Org A ID, when finished
    2. Open dummy data file
    3. Sign in as a different user using Org B ID
    4. Open Org B file, do your work with that file
    I would also always make it a habit to open the dummy data file first when your start Quicken since you may not remember which ID you used last and believe me, Quicken remembers, so play it safe.

• JNPoche
    JNPoche Member
    Thanks for the reply. I do have two Quicken license, but it was a pain to go from one PC to the other just to work on a different organization's file. I wanted to be able to work from one PC and keep the two organizations totally separated. I like the dummy file approach. Extra step, but it maintains complete security between the two.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Oh and the best way to always open the dummy file when starting Quicken is to have your Quicken shortcut on the desktop point to the .QDF dummy file, not the .EXE executable program file, that way Windows will start Quicken with the dummy file each time.

• JNPoche
    JNPoche Member
    I didn't think of that. Perfect solution.
This discussion has been closed.