Receipt scanning (+1 Merged Vote)

bshopay
bshopay Member ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Ideas for Mobile
It would be nice to have the Quicken app scan a receipt and pull the data from it to populate fields. I have a separate app that does this really well [Removed - Solicitation]. The features and concept of that app built into the quicken mobile app would be awesome.
39 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

Submitted for review on 8/9/23 - CTP-7455

Comments

• DebT
    DebT Member ✭✭
    receipt scanning and processing has been needed for years! don't bother with mobile without this feature
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
     Q Mobile can scan the receipt, and when downloaded into your desktop Q, that receipt can be attached to the transaction in Q ... but Q can't extract the info from that receipt.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• DanRay
    DanRay Member
    edited March 2022
    Here, here, Receipt scanning would be great. [Removed - Solicitation]
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    I would love to see this functionality added!
  • Zeke
    Zeke Member ✭✭
    Adding receipt scanning with data extraction would be the one reason for me to use the mobile app. Until then its useless to me.
  • notasquick
    notasquick Member
    I've used Quicken for years and I have for years brought home handfuls of receipts to enter into Quicken. When I finally relented and went to subscription instead of old CD install versions I was hoping this would be one of the biggest benefits. Alas...
  • shibushaji
    shibushaji Member ✭✭
    I would love to have that feature as well. At the very least, have an option to keep a local mobile library where we can park the receipts. Typically, when you make a payment, it will take a couple of days to post and then some to sync into Quicken. Having an option to park the receipts right after purchase is valuable to users as they don't have to mix the receipt images with regular pictures.
  • JBunch66
    JBunch66 Member ✭✭
    Definitely been looking for this feature for many years. Especially for large department stores when several items are purchased and many different categories are needed.
  • Marshalltx
    Marshalltx Member ✭✭
    The ability to scan a receipt immediately after a purchase with the mobile app and attaching it to a transaction later is imperative. I get piles and piles of paper receipts and occasionally some get lost. It's to the point that I will have to use another app to capture my receipts which defeats the purpose of having a mobile Q app. I love the desktop app but without this ability to at least capture and store the receipts to some sort of inbox first, the whole process of using this turns into a time suck.
  • jsko
    jsko Member
    Scan your receipt to create transaction. Similar concept to Quick Books
  • Quicken Anja
    Hello @jsko,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your request.

I went ahead and merged your Idea to this active Idea thread regarding this topic.

Ideas are reviewed by our Development and Product teams to see what features people would like to have available in the future. Please, be sure to add your own vote as well by clicking the up arrow (see example below).

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• lymanepp
    lymanepp Member ✭✭
    I use an overpriced 3rd party service to store my receipts. It has no integration into Quicken. Adding receipt scanning and OCR to Quicken Mobile would give me a reason to actually use it.
  • david_bus
    david_bus Member ✭✭
    Scanning receipts and having Quicken automatically split and categorize has been something I've looked for in this application since the days of Quicken for DOS. Many applications can scan a receipt, recognize pertinent data, and make use of that data, Quicken should be one of those.

In particular I would like Quicken to recognize taxes paid in a scanned receipt, categorize it, and have that data ready for reporting and for tax applications.
  • evdu
    evdu Member
    The comments saying "if mobile app does not extract the data from a scanned reciept then what's the use of the mobile app?" are a true depiction of my thoughts. Please implement this ASAP. Thanks!!
  • In 2022, data extraction from scanned receipts is a tremendous plus. Piles of receipts with items that cut across numerous budget categories. Do it now :smile:
  • bharkey
    bharkey Member ✭✭✭
    I'm shocked that QMobile has not ever implemented this. Many other receipt apps out there can do it, and our phones are now VERY good at this OCR data extraction.
  • Rob_R0704
    Rob_R0704 Member
    It would be extremely helpful to have this capability in the Mobile App. As someone commented earlier, it would be a powerful capability that would trigger me to use the mobile app.
  • Gman34798
    Gman34798 Member ✭✭
    I just got a Epson receipt scanner. It would be nice if Q for Mac facilitated its use!
  • VMLChris
    VMLChris Member
    I downloaded the mobile app a year or two ago, hoping receipt scanning would be a feature and was so disappointed that it was not, that I ended up deleting the app. If a couponing/rewards app can do it, why can't Quicken?! Please add that feature!! I am a complete procrastinator when it comes to sitting down with my paper receipts to enter them into Quicken, so having the ability to do it on the fly would be tremendous!!
  • I live in Texas and we have sales tax that I can itemize on our federal income tax. Do to a child's disability under Social Security, I need the ability to breakdown the big box store receipts into food, medical, cleaning supplies, and pet supplies, and for federal taxes I need to include sales taxes (as mentioned earlier) and items bought for a charitable donation so that I can itemize the cost of goods given versus the amount of charity claimed. This itemization also involves utility bills, grocery store bills, clothing stores, etc. If we can get the software to automatically scan and split the costs into multiple categories, I would save several hours per week. If it is not too much to ask, could the software also assign the receipt to the correct account; i.e., bank, credit union, Visa, Master Card, etc. Right now, I have to manually sort the receipts by each account before I scan to attach to Quicken.
  • SS_Ratt
    SS_Ratt Member
    I bought an Epson Receipt Scanner and now it gets to go back because Quicken for Mac has no use for it. It would be most helpful if I could scan a receipt that creates a transaction directly into Quicken or at a minimum, allows me to output a file that Quicken for Mac can pull in.
  • b4paces
    b4paces Member ✭✭

I would like vote yes this would be very helpfull, but don't see the voting button.

• b4paces
    b4paces Member ✭✭

Please pardon my newbee ignorance, I found the vote button on the main page :|

• Kip Gordon
    Kip Gordon Member ✭✭
    All I gotta say is that this would be amazing.
  • Jgrzy
    Jgrzy Member

Just bought subscription. Surprised this capability is missing.

• Receipt scanning would be a real time saver and would significantly increase the accuracy of data capture on a timely basis… I just downloaded the Easy Expense application and it does it simply, using my iphone camera, so would really like it if Quicken could add it too. I am a long time Quicken user, with over 73,000 transactions dating back to March of 1988. Yes, I imported the transactions from our own custom application back in the 90's when the Quicken functionality surpassed our own. So after 30+ years of using Quicken, a receipt scanner for Quicken mobile would be my #1 vote! Thanks for a great product, and hopefully this helps to make it better!

• I'm on board with a receipt scanner. I'm also a long term Quicken user, and am seriously considering jumping to a competitor because you've been so slow yo adapt this feature. Seriously, everyone else has it, and gir cheaper

• Quicken Anja

Hello All,

The status of this Idea has been changed to Under Consideration as it has reached enough votes and has been submitted to our Product and Development team for further review.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• jwile22
    jwile22 Member

I am new to Quicken, but my family has used it for years. I was hoping my subscription came with the ability to itemize receipts by scanning them into the system. I am very surprised this is not a feature as so many apps can do this and entering items line by line is a very tedious task that should be able to be automated.