Uncategorized for Employer Contribution

After the most recent updated, I am now getting an Uncategorized Transaction message. I found it is my 401k Employer Contribution to my like 401k account. I have a zero amount for it. If I change it to .01 the Uncategorized Transaction Message goes away. If I put it back to zero, the message re-appears.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    After the most recent updated, I am now getting an Uncategorized Transaction message. I found it is my 401k Employer Contribution to my like 401k account. I have a zero amount for it. If I change it to .01 the Uncategorized Transaction Message goes away. If I put it back to zero, the message re-appears.
    I am sorry about this issue with online banking services and Transaction Information. Thank you for speaking with us about this here on the Quicken Community.

What financial institution is this account associated with - if any - and is it being operated manually? Also, when did this issue begin? 

Try saving a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then proceed through the instructions listed below, in order:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. 

If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following: 

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I look forward to hearing about how this works, if you have the chance to check back in with us about this.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @steinbeck11 this recent discussion covers 401(k) transactions becoming uncategorized:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7923677/roth-401k-workaround-stopped-working-correctly

I don’t believe validating your file will fix the issue. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• It is a non-Roth standard 401k with Fidelity. It looks like the same issue described in the discussion mshiggins provided. It started with the mid-November paychecks. I went twelve months and only have 2 uncategorized transactions (both my most recent paychecks. It has to do with and employer match being zero.
  • TJ-Wolf
    TJ-Wolf Member ✭✭
    edited January 2023
    The problem is in the 401(k) Editor of the Paycheck Entry. Towards the end of the year, Employer contributions cap out and go to $0.00. But if you set the Emplyer Match to $0.00, it causes this issue.

The solution for me, was to:
    1. Edit the paycheck entry
    2. "Add Pre-Tax Deduction", "Other Pre-Tax Deduction"
    3. Set Name = "Employee Contribution Transfer" (like the others)
    4. Set Category = [401(k) Plan] (whatever is used in the original entry)
    5. Set Amount = the original employee contribution
    6. Save it
    7. Delete the original "Employee Contribution Transfer" which will remove the failed "Employer Match" entry.

This solution:
    a. retains the correct amount for the employee contribution,
    b. preserves the correct balance for "Employer Match"
    c. i.e., protects the income balance for the hidden "_401EmployerContrib" category,
    c. preserves the correct balance in the 401(k) account.

The problem may have been around longer than the recent update, but we see now because people are capping out on Employer Matches.

When employer matching resumes, don't forget to reverse the above steps.
  • TJ-Wolf
    TJ-Wolf Member ✭✭
    Seems to be a more current version of this topic in
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20327348#Comment_20327348
This discussion has been closed.