QM 6.11: Update Single Account MIssing from Accounts Menu

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Yeah, I agree, we'd be back to explaining (albeit perhaps a bit easier) why it's grayed out. The other option I suggested is to make DC single download a hidden feature: the Update All Accounts changes to Update Accounts at This Financial Institution when the option key is held down (only when a DC account is selected). This would alleviate the vast majority of the questions. It would be like the hidden option-delete for stuck online transactions. But I really don't like hiding features like that. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Lysander Spooner
    Lysander Spooner Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    The "Update All Accounts At This Financial Institution" was never a problem of confusion. It has worked that way for years.
    Anyone who had more than one account at an FI realized that downloading "a single account" caused all accounts under their user name (ID) to download.

They just eleminated that option without any comment or explanation and continue to remain silent on the point.
  • RickO
    The "Update All Accounts At This Financial Institution" was never a problem of confusion. It has worked that way for years.
    Anyone who had more than one account at an FI realized that downloading "a single account" caused all accounts under their name to download.
    I can tell you that is was definitely an ongoing point of confusion. The SU's have been answering questions on this probably weekly.

That said, you might want to consider joining the Quicken Beta program. It will give you the opportunity to see changes before they are rolled out publicly and make comments on these changes that are considered before rollout.

I personally have not updated to 6.11 in the hopes that 6.12 will restore single DC update (with the annoyance of having to reject the update screen every time I launch Quicken).
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Anyone who had more than one account at an FI realized that downloading "a single account" caused all accounts under their user name (ID) to download.

They just eleminated that option without any comment or explanation and continue to remain silent on the point.
    I'll disagree with your assessment. There were many, repeated questions, confusion, and sometimes anger over this issue over the years on this forum, and I'm sure there were many calls to Quicken Support about it. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jill4@
    Jill4@ Member ✭✭
    I was able to update single account previously and frequently used for checking account - which was a different FI than other accounts. Functionality no longer works which is extremely annoying and time consuming. Please correct!
  • Lysander Spooner
    jacobs said:

I'll disagree with your assessment. There were many, repeated questions, confusion, and sometimes anger over this issue over the years on this forum, and I'm sure there were many calls to Quicken Support about it. 
    Even a command like "Update All Accounts At This Financial Institution" would be acceptable. But until Quicken chimes in this dicsussion is not going to get anywhere.
  • jacobs
    Lysander Spooner said:
    Even a command like "Update All Accounts At This Financial Institution" would be acceptable.
    But that would only work for Direct Connect accounts. If the account a user selects is a Quicken Connect account, it would download all Quicken Connect accounts from the aggregation server, irrespective of financial institution — the way it has always worked.

There are a few options:

1) Go back to the way it was, with Update This Account in the menu, but the program logic doing something else. That seems unlikely.

2) Develop code so that a single account's transactions can be downloaded from the aggregation server or a financial institution's Direct Connect server. That seems like a massive project (and one which crosses into Quicken Windows and Quicken Mobile functionality) and thus seems unlikely.

3) Come up with some user interface approach for making downloads from a single financial institution available for Direct Connect users, and all other accounts for Quicken Connect users (e.g. the previous download functionality). This seems plausible, but coming up with the UI/UX to make it clear and understandable to users what will and won't download (and why other options aren't available, depending on the account selected) is tricky, as discussed above in this thread. 

Lysander Spooner said:
    But until Quicken chimes in this dicsussion is not going to get anywhere.
    The development team is aware that their solution in the current release isn't satisfactory for some users. But they aren't in the habit of responding in this forum to discuss what their future plans are.
  • nsos
    nsos Member ✭✭
    I'll just add to the chorus in case anyone from Quicken is reading. I have 40 online accounts. Some of these are only updated annually, quarterly, monthly, etc. It makes no sense for me to have to wait for all accounts to be updated when I only want to reconcile 1 account/institution. It's worked well for me for the past 10+ years. Regardless of what the road map is for connectivity solutions, this is a significant downgrade for me today.
  • billeye10
    billeye10 Member ✭✭✭
    I agree with NSOS. Just put it back to the way it was... Please
  • Lysander Spooner
    edited January 2023
    jacobs said:
    The development team is aware that their solution in the current release isn't satisfactory for some users. But they aren't in the habit of responding in this forum to discuss what their future plans are.
    Even so, they made a change that pissed off many users and did not even think to add an explanation in the release notes.
    I think you mentioned you are still on 6.10 but the rest of us who are not in touch with the developers did not have that option since we were totally unaware of the change.
  • jacobs
    I am actually on 6.11, but I do most of my transactions manually (largely to avoid the frustrations which inevitably arise from one download problem to another!). I agree it was wrong not to mention this in the release notes. Heck, I don't think there was even a post announcing he release of 6.11 like there have been for all prior releases. A few other things were not mentioned in the release notes which I thought should have been, and I sent that feedback. How well they're listening to user feedback, and whether they have any short-term plan to make changes, I don't have any idea.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    @jacobs have been thinking about reverting back to manual for the reasons you stated above, already handling my annuity account manual due to how my Fi WFA handles it internally. Hate to regress but with present & previous download issues, seriously thinking about it
  • jacobs
    @jacobs have been thinking about reverting back to manual for the reasons you stated above, already handling my annuity account manual due to how my Fi WFA handles it internally. Hate to regress but with present & previous download issues, seriously thinking about it
    Part of my reason for manual entry is to avoid the types of problems with downloads that I read about on this site all the time. Part is that I find when I download, I spend a bit of time correcting Payee names, changing categories, adding splits, and adding memos, which I use extensively. I've tried it both ways (downloading and manual) and found that it doesn't take me much longer to do things manually than it does to download and correct/edit. But I stress this is what works for me. If I had a much larger volume of transactions each month, or many more accounts, I realize my approach would probably not work well. I have fewer than 20 accounts I could download transactions for, and I read comments from some users who have 40, or even more, accounts. I'm not running a business using these accounts, and I don't do a great deal of investment trading, so my volume of transactions for checking, credit card and investment accounts is not overwhelming. So again, I'm not advocating others do it the way I do, unless it's a good fit for them. 
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2023
    Point is noted..in general I have always logged my transactions manually ( with the exception of stock options transactions, I use the download transactions to have the options categorized correctly). Over the years I have used the downloaded transactions as a kind of check on what I logged manually. It has served me well as every now & then I forget to make a manual entry. This approach also eliminates the issues with categories & splits.

6.11 has awoken an old banking issue with Wells Fargo in that memos with old discontinued accounts are downloaded along with every download. Hopefully at a minimum Quicken can fix this issue
  • Lazarus Long
    Lazarus Long Member ✭✭✭
    Quicken, please restore the previous functionality. Thank you!
  • pa_frazier
    pa_frazier Member ✭✭
    Let me add the feature to update a single account was useful and still missing in version 6.11. Please return it to the menu!
  • sirreel
    sirreel Member ✭✭
    I must chime in the way everyone else is. Please restore this very useful feature. Been using this software since the mid-90s. I just renewed my annual membership - serious regrets on day one. The lack of any response to these forums tells me it may be time to look for a better option.
  • DevilDoggie92
    DevilDoggie92 Member ✭✭
    I upgraded to 6.11.2 today and lost the single account update option. I need this back.
    Is there an easy way to go back a version without a complete uninstall and reinstall?
  • RickO
    Yes, you should find the previous version in the Trash. Just drag that to the top level Applications folder, overwriting the updated version. You will need a an admin password for this.

Then, you need to revert to the backup that was saved before update. (The old version will not open your updated data file.) Navigate to /Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/Quicken/Backups/Automatic Backups. Look for the most recent file named BACKUP (Pre-Update)... Double click this file to restore it.

To access the user Library folder, hold down the Option key while clicking the Go menu in the Finder.
  • BillBB
    BillBB Member
    Funny. Update selected account from the menu still worked for me until today when I updated to 6.11.2 (I always install any update within a few days so I was on 6/11/1). But SHIFT-COMMAND-U still works for me, at least for now.
  • winky1
    winky1 Member
    I found when updating to ver 6.11.2 the development team removed the ability to download transactions for the selected acct. I called quicken and tried to go back to the previous version so I had that option. We could not go back. Quicken for windows still allows you to update just your selected acct. I would like Quicken to restore the ability to download selected acct's only and not all acct's only.
  • jacobs
    @winky1 This change took place with version 6.11.0. You can read an explanation here, and submit your vote/enter your comment about restoring the previous functionality here.
  • britgrit
    britgrit Member ✭✭
    edited January 2023
    It gets worse! I have discovered that when re-adding accounts (which doesn't solve the problem anyway) when quicken claims to have "downloaded the last 364 days' transactions", in order to balance the account, it alters the amount of the "Opening Balance". [Removed - Violation of Community Guidelines] F I X I T
  • jacobs
    @britgrit I understand your frustration, but "yelling" here goes into a vacuum. This is not Quicken Support, and neither management nor developers are reading the comments here. I suggest you reach out to Quicken Support if you want help or seek changes with this issue. 
  • TonyDeco
    TonyDeco Member
    There was no confusion that I could tell. I want to update only one account by downloading from the bank - the others I prefer to do manually. Updates are supposed to add features, not subtract them. If I'd know that the newest update eliminated this option I wouldn't have updated. PLEASE undo this unforced error - it adds nothing to the usefulness of the program but does subtract a major (for me and apparently others as well) feature.
  • billeye10
    billeye10 Member ✭✭✭
    Dear Quicken for MAC. Are you listening to any of our comments on downloading transactions? Yes you got us with no where to go. So you may feel no comments are necessary. That would be sad.

• Agree, please add back the ability to update just a single account. It takes a long time to update all accounts and I don't care to see things like 401K balances bounce around on a day to day basis. Thanks.
  • jacobs
    @billeye10 The Quicken Mac product manager has replied on this issue in the Idea thread requesting a change from updating all accounts. You can read it here
  • Lysander Spooner
    To save you a click, here is Quicken's Repsonese
  • jwittkoski
    jwittkoski Member
    edited January 2023
    It used to be possible to do "Update Single Account" (or something similar) under the Account menu. Meaning, I only want to download transactions for the currently selected account.

But this changed recently - now it just says "Set Up Transaction Download..." EVEN FOR accounts that have already been set up for online downloads. Even if I go through the online setup process again for these accounts, it still shows this message.

[Merged Post]
This discussion has been closed.