EWC+ continues to be VERY SLOW; Alert for this issue reads RESOLVED

denmarfl
denmarfl Member ✭✭✭✭
Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
January 2 edited 2:30PM

The Issue regarding EWC+ SLOW....or Freezing.  Jasmine today 1/9/23 wrote Issue marked Resolved but will remain open for alerts indicating issue continues.  How would anyone alert Jasmine if they are experiencing SLOW Connections???  That Post has no option to enter a Reply.  Jasmine just scans the Community for someone reporting SLOW/Freezing EWC+ Issues????

EWC+ connections continue to be VERY SLOW.  I connect with 4 DirectConnect Banks during OSU it takes 15 seconds or Less.  EWC+ for just 1 Connection can take 3 Mins, a few times longer.  I hold my breath as I wait for the connections to complete hoping it won't come back with a CC-501.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The "really slow" was referring to a problem where people were getting CC-501 errors.  For every one of these errors there is a 5-minute timeout.  That is the "very long" time people were referring to.  Express Web Connect/Express Web Connect + on the other hand is "normally" much slower than Direct Connect.  This isn't considered a problem by Quicken Inc (they even claim it is "faster"/improved).
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • denmarfl
    denmarfl Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Chris....for Quicken to claim EWC+ is faster and Improved...more demostrats to me Quicken is out of touch with their customers like me who now must use EWC+ and know by use EWC+ is MUCH slower than DC....they need to do a fact Check on thier opinion of Faster...I cannot comment on Improved since I am not certain what that word means as to the Process.  Those of us that have been long term Quicken users know DC was a stable and really Fast connection.  Truly every time I connect with EWC+ and wait...and wait...for the connection to complete I hope that I don't get CC-501.  Thanks for your reply, always appreciated
  • Ivar
    Ivar Member
    Ever since EXC+ was release (forced on us) it has been deathy slow. When will it be fixed? Simply WHEN?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Ivar One should be aware of the fact that Quicken Inc didn't have a choice, it is the financial institutions that are pushing this.  Quicken Inc is certainly onboard with it, but they aren't the ones that make the decision to go to it.  As to when will it be fixed?
    That really depends on where the hang up is, and they aren't telling us that.

When I look at what Quicken Inc says I always try to frame their answers in how I would if I was given the task of making whatever is said look the best possible without totally lying, but not considering leaving facts out to be lying.

When comparing Express Web Connect + to Express Web Connect there isn't any doubt that Express Web Connect + is better.
    So, if you ignore Direct Connect their statement is instantly correct.

And I can even say in rare cases Express Web Connect (+) might have been faster than Direct Connect.  There seems to be a limitation that only one Direct Connect connection can be made at a time, whereas Express Web Connect (+) can be done in parallel.  If you had a lot of different user accounts/financial institutions in theory Express Web Connect (+) might be faster.

Also, another consideration is "caching". If you run One Step Update multiple times in a row you will find that the after the first time it runs very fast.  This seems to be because they are relying on the Quicken server/Quicken Cloud dataset to "cache" the result and don't really do the full update.  What I can't tell about this if they really know that there aren't any new transactions or if they are just not allowing the update for some period of time.
    Signature:
  • denmarfl
    denmarfl Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris...I thought running my 4 EWC+ connections at the same time was the cause of the VERY slow connection Times.  So I tried for several days doing each separely.  My connection times for 1 EWC+ was not much faster than when I connect with all 4 at the same time.

I have looked into 2 Banks that currently use DC...but I am told those Banks are in the process of coverting to EWC+...Wells Fargo and Truist Banks. 

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @denmarfl with Express Web Connect + it seems to be a mixed bag.  But the idea is that if you run things in parallel, they will be faster, and in fact that is the case in my use case that I have tested.  In practice I would bet it depends a lot on the use case.

I'm going to repost my testing on this (all numbers are in seconds).

These are each account updated separately.
    Direct Connect:

Express Web Connect:

Express Web Connect +:

All updated at the same time:

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    denmarfl said:
    I have looked into 2 Banks that currently use DC...but I am told those Banks are in the process of coverting to EWC+...Wells Fargo and Truist Banks. 
    Note I don't have accounts with them, but a Mac SuperUser suggested Salem Five Direct, which uses Direct Connect and has a savings account paying 4.10%.
    Signature:
  • ldubin
    ldubin Member
    Thank you Chris and denmarfl that educating me that what I thought was a programming error/glitch is in fact a "feature" and that there is little hope that it will be "fixed".
This discussion has been closed.