problem: cannot add multiple accounts for transaction download

Options
Howard1
Howard1 Member ✭✭
Hello,

We are having difficulty setting up “download transactions” for our mutual fund accounts. We have shares of about 20 mutual funds held in four different holding accounts at T Rowe Price: taxable, rollover IRA, Roth IRA, traditional IRA. When we click on “Set up Now” under the Online Services tab, we obtain the “Add Account” window with four columns: Account, Type, Nickname in Quicken, Action. There is one row for each particular mutual fund account; in the case that we hold shares of the same fund in more than one of the four holding accounts, there are separate rows for the fund in each holding account.

The problem is that when we try to select the Action as “Link to existing account”, we can only add one fund row to any one of the four holding accounts. When we add one fund to a holding account and then move to the next row, the previously entered holding account has disappeared as a choice. Thus, we can only connect one mutual fund in each of the holding accounts. This is not much use, we would like to be able to download data for all the fund accounts, not just one in each of the holding accounts. Are we the first to report this problem?

Thank you.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You cannot link one Quicken account register to more than one bank account.
    If the brokerage has separate investment accounts for your securities, then you need to create separate account registers in Quicken.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm following along with your explanation of what you're seeing just fine until this: "in the case that we hold shares of the same fund in more than one of the four holding accounts, there are separate rows for the fund in each holding account."  I think I know what you're saying, but I've just never ever seen this.  Could you post a picture of this, please?
    I've added Accounts to Quicken many, many times, not infrequently with Accounts that hold the same security, and haven't ever encountered what I believe you're describing.
    Having added "one fund row" to an Account, if you go into that Account does it work properly for downloading, sending transactions that include the other mutual funds that are in the Account?
    Very weird!
  • Howard1
    Howard1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    To UKR:

First, we are not trying to link multiple bank accounts, but to multiple mutual fund accounts. This probably does not make a difference for this problem.

Your answer provides the obvious explanation for my observation. However, there is one puzzle. As we have multiple TRowePrice mutual fund accounts in a single “TRowePrice” Quicken register, we also have multiple Vanguard mutual fund accounts in a single “Vanguard” register. In the latter case, all transactions for the multiple mutual funds are downloaded into Quicken. The download mechanism is different: For TRowePrice funds, one downloads directly from Quicken. For the Vanguard mutual funds, one goes to the Vanguard web site, sets up the parameters for the download, clicks on “Download”, and then saves a link file to the computer hard drive. When one double-clicks on the saved file, the transactions for all component investments are downloaded. This is a great convenience; having to set up a separate Quicken register for each mutual fund in an account is awkward for tracking investment performance. I would hope that Quicken would enable this capability for the direct downloads.

Thank you for your interest and response.
  • Howard1
    Howard1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    To Tom Young:

Perhaps my explanation is not clear. Let me try again: We have investments in a number of mutual funds at TRowePrice. The mutual funds are held in four different holding accounts: taxable, rollover IRA, Roth IRA, traditional IRA. Each holding account, with multiple mutual funds, is a separate Quicken register. There are several mutual funds that are held in more than one of the holding accounts: For example, we have invested in the TRP Growth Stock Fund in both taxable and rollover IRA accounts. Thus, when we open the “Add Account” window, there are two rows for the Growth Stock fund, one for the investment in each of the two holding accounts. Thus, the “Add Account” has a row for setting up download for each mutual fund account in each distinct holding account. Is this better?

So, the problem, again, only one of the many holding account/ mutual fund combinations can be assigned for download for each holding account, i.e. Quicken register. So only one of the several mutual funds in a single register can be downloaded.

I have no idea what happens if we try to download, it is not even worth trying.

Thank you for your interest and response.
  • Howard1
    Howard1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    To UKR:
    The brokerage does not have "separate investment accounts for your securities", i.e. each security held in its own account. There are multiple securities (mutual fund investments) in each of several investment accounts, e.g. taxable, rollover IRA, Roth IRA, traditional IRA. There is a corresponding Quicken register, including the same securities, for each investment account. What I expected is that all securities in a single investment account would download into the corresponding Quicken register.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I'd love to see a picture just because what you're describing seems so odd, but it appears that instead of being presented with a list of 4 accounts at T Rowe Price to Add or Link you're seeing more than 4 lines of Accounts that you might select from.  It's the same 4 real world accounts at T Rowe Price but in some cases the Account is being presented multiple times, associated with a security that's held in more that one of the real world accounts and, long story short, the ability to associate accounts at T Rowe Price with Accounts in Quicken simply isn't working.
    I think this needs be be addressed with a phone call to Official Quicken Support where they can screen share and maybe suggest something.  https://www.quicken.com/support#windows
    Both T. Rowe Price and Vanguard both support Direct Connect as a downloading method, so I'm surprised that you're using different process between the two.
    I'm not sure why you think attempting to download from T. Rowe Price after Linking one of the securities to each of your 4 Accounts.  I guess I'd hope that the odd presentation you're seeing is an aberration but "behind the scenes" the linking process is working correctly?  I assume you have a recent (e.g., "yesterday") backup to use if the downloading process doesn't work.
This discussion has been closed.