Recent Quicken updates render my pc incapacitated while Quicken is running.

lincdes
lincdes Member ✭✭
I believe it was shortly after the update where the way Quicken logs into Chase changed, Quicken has become unusable. Not just Quicken itself but while Quicken is running it renders my Razer Blade high performance Windows 11 gaming pc with an i7 12CPU and 32GB RAM completely unusable. Everything is "not responding" for hours a few minutes after Quicken has been open. Once I can finally kill Quicken, I have a snappy gaming pc back. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the application and file repairs (no errors found) per phone/chat support's only suggestions they could offer short of starting over from scratch but the result is the same; everything on my pc is unusable for as long as I have Quicken open. I have removed the online accounts and added them back. Restoring a backup isn't an option nor is building a new Quicken file as I've already invested hundreds of hours when it was working before a recent update that I refuse to start over due to something they broke in an update. Does anyone have any thoughts that don't include completely starting over from scratch? If the only fix is starting over with a new data file, I think I'm finally done with Quicken; I'm just not going to fight their software anymore...

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @lincdes and @Arthur Begun

Which release of Quicken are you running?  If it is later than version 44.28, that may be causing the problems you are seeing (as are a number of other users).

The short-term solution is to roll-back your Quicken version to 44.28.  I have suggested this to a number of other users and they all have been able to fix their downloading issues simply by reverting to version 44.28

I suggest that you take the following steps to fix your problem:

1) Backup your Quicken datafile;
    2) Close out of Quicken; then copy the Link below and paste it into your browser 

https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.1.44.28MPatch.EXE?_ics=1668880738587&irclickid=~fe79Z649572XY5X2459d6XY36Y459cb5-ebgh9~21VNMKFzvojf8

3) This will start the download of Quicken version 44.28 to your computer.
    4) Once the download of has completed - locate it (likely in your Downloads file). The filename is "QW27.1.44.28MPatch";
    5) Double click on it to install the download and once completed, restart Quicken.

Let me know if you have any followups and/or tell me how that all went.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Arthur Begun
    Arthur Begun Member ✭✭✭
    I am having a possibly related problem.  When Quicken is doing anything significant it blinks video from various apps so it never can finish its process.  I thought it might be my Nvidia video card failing but I connected the HDMI cable to the on processor HDMI connector and I have the same results,  Started a couple of updates ago.   It is insane.
  • Arthur Begun
    Arthur Begun Member ✭✭✭
    This helped my video problem so Quicken is now at least usable: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7915476/faq-are-there-any-windows-settings-that-can-improve-quicken-s-performance.  But obviously something was messed up in an update.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @lincdes and @Arthur Begun

Which release of Quicken are you running?  If it is later than version 44.28, that may be causing the problems you are seeing (as are a number of other users).

The short-term solution is to roll-back your Quicken version to 44.28.  I have suggested this to a number of other users and they all have been able to fix their downloading issues simply by reverting to version 44.28

I suggest that you take the following steps to fix your problem:

1) Backup your Quicken datafile;
    2) Close out of Quicken; then copy the Link below and paste it into your browser 

https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.1.44.28MPatch.EXE?_ics=1668880738587&irclickid=~fe79Z649572XY5X2459d6XY36Y459cb5-ebgh9~21VNMKFzvojf8

3) This will start the download of Quicken version 44.28 to your computer.
    4) Once the download of has completed - locate it (likely in your Downloads file). The filename is "QW27.1.44.28MPatch";
    5) Double click on it to install the download and once completed, restart Quicken.

Let me know if you have any followups and/or tell me how that all went.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Arthur Begun
    Arthur Begun Member ✭✭✭
    I am running 45.13 first under Win 10 and hoping it was a Win 10 problem I upgraded to Win 11 but problem persists even when giving it a Nvidia performance boost.  It might be Norton.  I turned Norton off and it seemed to be better so then I had Norton check for an update.  It found one.  The Norton update may have fixed the problem I was having with video flashing to other apps.  So if original poster is using Norton, he should check for an update.
  • Arthur Begun
    Arthur Begun Member ✭✭✭
    I reinstalled Quicken using the latest Mondo patch which was the same version 45.13 that I was running.  That seems to have fixed my problems.  The update must not have installed correctly the first time thru Quicken but the Mondo patch fixed it.  @lincdes should try reinstalling thru the Mondo patch if he hasn't already though it seems like he has probably already tried doing that.
  • Arthur Begun
    Arthur Begun Member ✭✭✭
    I thought the reinstall fixed things but it did not.  Basically I found that you can go into Quicken and do one or two things but after that things go haywire with Quicken switching between different Quicken Dialog boxes and even different apps.  If you are able to close all other apps, eventually Quicken finishes what it was working on.  Then you can close it and open it again and it will work properly for 1 or 2 transactions before screwing up again flipping between different dialog boxes and apps and not being able to finish what it is working on until you close all other apps.
  • lincdes
    lincdes Member ✭✭
    Thank you @Frankx, I will try rolling back. Whatever has been in the updates over the past few months introduced several issues with Quicken. Rolling back now...

Also, thank you to the others who provided suggestions. I do not use Norton and have tried the Mondo patch.
  • Arthur Begun
    Arthur Begun Member ✭✭✭
    The latest version of Quicken seems to have fixed the downloading issues.  Another issue people are talking about and I still have is the screen display.  Quickens seems to try to keep fixing the screen size when you move from one bank account to another.  This started a month or so ago.  Sometimes it effects other applications but I haven't seen that effect since the download issue was fixed.  Might be worth trying the latest update before rolling back to 44.28.
  • Arthur Begun
    Arthur Begun Member ✭✭✭
    The latest version of Quicken seems to have fixed the slow screen display issue when you change accounts.  No more constant resizing.  The fixed version is 47.11.
This discussion has been closed.