Data import into QUICKEN from RECKON? .QDF file

Options
Chambo55
Chambo55 Member ✭✭
edited February 2023 in Before you Buy
Hi,
The Australian RECON version detreated to a point of unworkable, continually crashes. Can I use the US version and import my data file to the US version? There will be some functions that I can't use, eg. tax for example but that is not an issue for me.

Cheers,
Kevin

Best Answer

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My guess is that it is not compatible with Quicken (USA) but I do not know that for sure.  I do know that Quicken cannot be used for downloading transactions and securities data from non-USA financial institutions.  So everything would need to be entered/managed manually.
    You could try ordering Quicken Subscription and trying it out.  You will need to pay for it at the time you order it but if within 30 days you find that it does not meet your need or want for any reason you can cancel the subscription and get a full refund.
    Another option (if your OS Windows), since you will be needing to use it manually anyway, is to download Quicken 2013 Deluxe from Quicken 2013 for Windows.  It is free and will have no online services at all but it might be a good way to check out what kind of compatibility there might be or might not be.  Just install it, back up your QDF file and try opening it.  If it doesn't work, no harm....uninstall it and you still have your backed up QDF file to use with RECON.
    If you do try either of these options, it would be much appreciated if you would post a summary of how it worked for you.  I am curious and it might be helpful to others looking for an option to get away from RECON.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One other thing came to mind:  What kind(s) of file format(s) can RECON data be exported in?  This might present an option for importing the RECON data into Quicken.  Let me know and we can take it from there.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Years ago, I was helping a person try that change over.  My memory on this is a bit fuzzy, but here is what I remember of it.

First off, Recon's Quicken last common "branch" with code from Quicken US was about in Quicken 2009, in other words before Quicken US 2010 changed to a compressed QDF file that had all the different parts of the data "file" in different files.

And as such, Quicken US could in fact convert the Recon data file, but with some really big constraints as I remember it.
    The person I was working with was using multiple currencies, and Recon had better support for this and for the taxes.
    For instance, Quicken Windows US only keeps the latest currency exchange rates, and the Recon version keeps a history of them.  This is more like the Quicken Canadian version.  I'm not sure if she ever tried the Canadian version.  And I don't remember if this was the only problem.

But my suggestion would be to actually try it out with the Quicken Windows Deluxe 2013, which you can get for free from here:
    https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/ASDES5672FR13/Old_Products/QWIN/QW2013DLX.exe

And that might even be the best version of Quicken to stay on, since after that version most of the improvements to Quicken have to do with online services that you wouldn't be able to use.

Another approach to this is to export a QDF file and import that.  This gets really problematic if there are multiple currencies involved.  If this isn't the case, then I suggest looking at this for suggestions on it.
    https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html

You should also look at ImportQIF on the same website, for conversion of other transaction file formats that you might need.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Oh, one more thing, in the end she decided to just stay with Recon.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chambo55
    Chambo55 Member ✭✭
    Options
    The RECON bunch have made life difficult for users. You can no longer export data. You can backup files, but is still in the original .QDF format. When you have many years of data in the program, they have you by the balls! Cheers.
This discussion has been closed.