How to change the name of Financial Institution on account ?

flyboy03051
flyboy03051 Member ✭✭
I have several bank and brokerage accounts and one of the accounts has the wrong Financial Institution displayed for the account. I have displayed the account under the general tab and can see the wrong brokage name displayed. The field does not seem to be editable from the general tab as other fields I can edit freely. I have tried to deactivate the account and when I try set up the account again it automatically goes to the website of the brokerage that was displayed in the general tab (wrong company). I can't seem to around this problem.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @flyboy03051

You didn't indicate whether you have more than one account with Charles Schwab.  If you do - and you now want to change only one Charles Schwab account to Fidelity, I believe that you'll need to follow the steps below for all Charles Schwab accounts to fix the one account.

Please take the following steps (AFTER you've made a Backup of your existing Quicken datafile - just is case):
    1. Open the "Account List" in Quicken (Tools > Account List OR Ctrl + A)
    2. Click on the "Edit" button for each Charles Schwab account and then (in the Online Services tab) hit the  Deactivate button.  Do this for every Charles Schwab account that you have.
    3. For each of the accounts that you need to change to Fidelity - click on the General tab and remove any info displayed in the Financial Institution, Account/Routing Number, and Customer ID fields. Note: The account(s) must be deactivated first before these fields can be edited.
    4. Close the "Account List", and after that Close and then Re-Start the Quicken program.
    5. Go to "Tools" > "Add Account" and search for and select  the correct "Fidelity" from the list (there are many institutions with Fidelity in the list), then hit "Next".
    6. Follow the various prompts for information needed to "connect" and when you get to the page displaying the accounts found at Fidelity - "Match and LINK" your existing account(s) in Quicken to the appropriate account(s) displayed. Then click "Done".
    Let me know how that goes and or if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which brokerage does it show?
    Which brokerage are you trying to connect to?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• flyboy03051
    flyboy03051 Member ✭✭
    The account in question displays "Charles Schwab & Co. Inc" When it should be a Fidelity account. The Financial Institution field does not have a box around Charles Schwab & Co indicating it not an editable field but other accounts do have a box around the field and will let me edit this same field.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @flyboy03051

You didn't indicate whether you have more than one account with Charles Schwab.  If you do - and you now want to change only one Charles Schwab account to Fidelity, I believe that you'll need to follow the steps below for all Charles Schwab accounts to fix the one account.

Please take the following steps (AFTER you've made a Backup of your existing Quicken datafile - just is case):
    1. Open the "Account List" in Quicken (Tools > Account List OR Ctrl + A)
    2. Click on the "Edit" button for each Charles Schwab account and then (in the Online Services tab) hit the  Deactivate button.  Do this for every Charles Schwab account that you have.
    3. For each of the accounts that you need to change to Fidelity - click on the General tab and remove any info displayed in the Financial Institution, Account/Routing Number, and Customer ID fields. Note: The account(s) must be deactivated first before these fields can be edited.
    4. Close the "Account List", and after that Close and then Re-Start the Quicken program.
    5. Go to "Tools" > "Add Account" and search for and select  the correct "Fidelity" from the list (there are many institutions with Fidelity in the list), then hit "Next".
    6. Follow the various prompts for information needed to "connect" and when you get to the page displaying the accounts found at Fidelity - "Match and LINK" your existing account(s) in Quicken to the appropriate account(s) displayed. Then click "Done".
    Let me know how that goes and or if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you talking about the Account Name field?  You can change that by doing TOOLS, Account List, clicking EDIT adjacent to the account name and editing the Account name.
    The "Financial Institution" name can't be changed because that indicates where the info is being downloaded from.  If it's incorrect, then you need to Deactivate the account from download and re-activate it with the correct brokerage (FI) info.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• flyboy03051
    flyboy03051 Member ✭✭
    Hello and thank you for your help !

Frankx, I deactivated all of my schwab accounts and then set them up again and they all seemed to work correctly now. Thanks Again
This discussion has been closed.