Quicken loan payment entry problem

dkwii
dkwii Member ✭✭
I just noticed a new issue. With the newest version (46.12) when I entered a payment on a loan (both an auto loan and home loan, not online enabled), Quicken didn't break it out into principal, interest etc. I just got an entry for the full amount in the loan payment details.
I've been using Quicken for about 25 years, and I'm familiar with the way it handles loan payment transactions.
I first created a new file and set up my loans and checking account there, and got the same problem.
Then I reverted to version 45.21 and the problem disappeared.
Is this a known issue with the current version?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also running R46.12 and my mortgage payment was recorded on 1/13 ... but I'm not seeing your issue.  All of the splits amounts went where expected.
    Normally, I'd suspect a corrupted Q database, but since the otherwise problematic R45 resolved your issue I can only suggest that you had a corrupted program install.
    I strongly suggest that you re-install R46 as there are a multitude of problems with all of R45.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• dkwii
    dkwii Member ✭✭
    @NotACPA Thanks for checking. I updated to the most recent version (Help | Check for updates) and the problem is back. I've validated the file and there were no problems indicated.
    The Edit Loan Payment is showing the correct breakout, and seems to be calculating correctly, but when I go to Enter Loan Payment, it changes all the split items to 0 and puts the entire transaction on a blank uncategorized line. This is on the new file. All I have in this file is the initial download from my bank and the house mortgage. The transaction in my checking account shows two of the split lines, with 0s and one uncategorized line with the total payment.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well,  for starters, downloading into a mortgage account is ill-advised because doing so  removes the account register from your view or usage and ONLY the downloaded principal payment (interest and escrow aren't downloaded) is allowed to post into the mortgage account.
    I'll suggest that you turn off download into this account and go with the Mortgage Wizard only.  I've found it to be quite accurate.

• dkwii
    dkwii Member ✭✭
    @NotACPA I've never downloaded into a mortgage account. I've always used the standard memorized transaction and quicken does a good job calculating P&I. I've reverted back to 45 again and I'll stay there until this gets sorted out.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you make a split-entry "payment" manually in your checking Account with a split between principal and interest, does that work?  If it does that kind of narrows down where in the program the bug might reside.
  • Tom Young
    edited January 2023
    "@Tom Young not sure what you mean by 'manually'".
    By "manually" I'm referring to going to the checking Account, scrolling down to the bottom of the register to the blank entry line, and hand typing in a "payment."
    You were very clear in the statement of the problem and this wasn't suggested as a "workaround", it was suggested as a test to maybe isolate where the problem is occurring, and that's all.
  • tgregorymd
    tgregorymd Member ✭✭
    @Tom Young, sorry if I came across the wrong way. Manually entering transactions works fine. It would probably also work to manually look up and edit the incorrect splits that are showing in the "Enter into register" preview window on the loan reminder. It appearrs to me that the issue is occurring as the "Enter into register" preview window is being prepared. For some reason the splits have stopped allocating properly there. Things look correct everywhere else. Thanks.
  • I'm experiencing the same problem with the 46.12 update
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm baffled if this is happening in a non-downloaded account ... because I'm running R46.12 and my mortgage reminders are properly splitting the loan payments.
    Perhaps,  somehow, the Payment reminder has gotten corrupted. 
    Has been deleting the reminder and re-creating it been tried?

• Tom Young

I'll point to this post over in the SuperUser's Lounge as a possible bug. I'd also suggest that both of you use the "Report a problem...." function in Quicken, under "Help."
  • tgregorymd
    tgregorymd Member ✭✭
    @Tom Young I already reported the problem, but have not heard anything back from Q yet. @NotACPA it is strange. I have three separate loans with associated payent reminders and all of them have the same issue. I have tried deleting and recreating all the reminders a couple of times and the prohblem persists.
  • danwilcox
    danwilcox Member ✭✭
    I am having the same problem after the 46.12 update
  • Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin
    edited January 2023
    Hi All, I am sorry for the trouble you are having with these split transactions when entering a loan. This issue has been reported. If you have not already, please submit details under Help> Report a Problem.  We will try to update you when more details are provided. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused. Thank you. 

(CTP- 5593)

-Quicken Janean

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• tgregorymd
    tgregorymd Member ✭✭
    Thank you @Quicken Janean. I have reported the problem thorugh the help menu but have not received any acknowledment of any kind back yet. Not sure if that's a normal pert of the process.
  • rachelgomez
    rachelgomez Member ✭✭
    When your loan payment is due, Quicken reminds you to enter the payment into your register. If you don't want to wait for the reminder, click the loan name in the Account Bar, click (the Account Actions icon), and then choose Enter Loan Payment.

Regards,
    Rachel Gomez
  • Aeowyn
    Aeowyn Member ✭✭
    I am having the same issue. My mortgage loan that was entered late December 2022 is fine. First noticed the problem about a week ago. Checked and all my loans have the same issue if I go to enter a new payment. I assume it happened when I last updated Quicken. My current version is R46.12, build is 27.1.46.12, Windows 10 Enterprise. I just reported the issue through Quicken Help.

I did manually calculate what the allocation should be and fixed the bad entry Quicken made, but obviously I don't want to have to continue doing it.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    NotACPA said:
    Well, I'm baffled if this is happening in a non-downloaded account ... because I'm running R46.12 and my mortgage reminders are properly splitting the loan payments.
    Perhaps,  somehow, the Payment reminder has gotten corrupted. 
    Has been deleting the reminder and re-creating it been tried?
    @NotACPA , there are two ways to Enter a loan payment transaction. First is via a Reminder, second is via a special loan payment Memorized Payee. 

The special loan payment Memorized Payee appears to have the losing splits issue, the loan payment Reminder is still working fine. 

So a workaround for the issue is to switch over to using the loan payment Reminder. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Aeowyn
    Aeowyn Member ✭✭
    > <a rel="nofollow" href="https://community.quicken.com/profile/mshiggins" title="Link: https://community.quicken.com/profile/mshiggins">@mshiggins<;/a> said:
    > @NotACPA , there are two ways to Enter a loan payment transaction. First is via a Reminder, second is via a special loan payment Memorized Payee. 
    > The special loan payment Memorized Payee appears to have the losing splits issue, the loan payment Reminder is still working fine. 
    > So a workaround for the issue is to switch over to using the loan payment Reminder. 

I'm not sure what the "special loan payment Memorized Payee" method is, but I've use both the loan payment Reminder (what I usually do) and going directly to the loan and selecting: "Enter Loan Payment" and they both provide messed up allocations.
  • Aeowyn
    Aeowyn Member ✭✭
    Hold on - let me modify what I just wrote - I've clicked on the reminder from the account - If I go into "Bill and Income Reminders" and select the loan payment from there - the allocation looks good.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Aeowyn said:
    > @mshiggins said:
    > @NotACPA , there are two ways to Enter a loan payment transaction. First is via a Reminder, second is via a special loan payment Memorized Payee. 
    > The special loan payment Memorized Payee appears to have the losing splits issue, the loan payment Reminder is still working fine. 
    > So a workaround for the issue is to switch over to using the loan payment Reminder. 

I'm not sure what the "special loan payment Memorized Payee" method is, but I've use both the loan payment Reminder (what I usually do) and going directly to the loan and selecting: "Enter Loan Payment" and they both provide messed up allocations.
    Interesting. Perhaps @NotACPA is running a different version?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Aeowyn
    Aeowyn Member ✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Hold on - let me modify what I just wrote - I've clicked on the reminder from the register (where there is a clock face) and it is bad, but if I go into Tools -> "Bill and Income Reminders" and select the loan payment from there - the allocation looks good.

Thank you, I'll remember to do that. (OK so there are at least 4 ways to enter the loan payments)
  • Aeowyn
    Aeowyn Member ✭✭
    OK - Let me take it back again. If I go to edit the loan payment from "Bill and Income Reminders" it looks great. But if I "Enter" the loan payment - everything is zero.
  • tgregorymd
    tgregorymd Member ✭✭
    @Aeowyn agreed - I just double checked the Bill and Income Reminder and I'm seeing the same bad allocation behavior there. I usuaIly post my reminders from the list of upcoming reminders on the home tab and that is where I first encountered the issue. Editing the reminder looks fine, the allocation issue only occurs when you attempt to enter the transaction into the register.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is getting weird. 
    I just took a look at my Memorized Payee List ... and ALL of the split transactions are haywire. They've all lost at least the 1st category of the split and sometimes more category fields than just the 1st.

• Mnlc90
    Mnlc90 Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same problem, spent an hour on the phone with support.......who said she was not aware of the problem.....

I'm pretty certain Quicken is aware. I really hope this is resolved quickly, we deserve the very best in accurate record keeping from this company!
  • Mnlc90
    Mnlc90 Member ✭✭
    Janean,
    When do you anticipate this to be corrected? I am not as well versed as many people in the community, but I know enough to know this is very disappointing and should be a priority. I have multiple loans that I rely on to be accurate. Any disputes with interest, etc. could cost me.
  • Ted P
    Ted P Member ✭✭✭
    > @Aeowyn said:
    > Hold on - let me modify what I just wrote - I've clicked on the reminder from the register (where there is a clock face) and it is bad, but if I go into Tools -> "Bill and Income Reminders" and select the loan payment from there - the allocation looks good.
    >
    > Thank you, I'll remember to do that. (OK so there are at least 4 ways to enter the loan payments)

I'm having the same issues as others with my payment reminders after the 46.12 upgrade; unlike @Aeowyn, I also have the same issue with the 'Enter Loan Payment' option.
This discussion has been closed.