Change log?

Allan L.
Allan L. Member ✭✭
Is there a user-accessible log of changes to a Quicken (Mac) file? Today I noted a large deposit (transfer from another listed account) to my checking account, from five days ago, had disappeared from the register. It might have been user error, for all I know, but it would be nice to know what happened.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    No, there isn't a user accessible log which shows your actions step by step.

The program does have multi-level undo (via command+z or menu), so the program is tracking changes internally. But, the user can't "see" the list of prior activity. That undo history isn't also saved forever-a restart of the program resets it. 

I have made many a user error that I didn't expect, but also don't rule out something else like accidentally entering the transaction correctly, filtering the view to prevent seeing it, etc. It is rare that transactions "vanish" in QMac. Not impossible, but rare. 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you should be able to access older copies of your data file using Time Machine. You should first make a backup of your file in case you inadvertently restore an old copy you don't want to use.

Go to your file in the Finder (Quicken menu File > Show "filename" in Finder. Then invoke Time Machine (Time Machine menu bar icon > Browse Time Machine Backups) which will take you directly to the Time Machine backups of your file. If you don't see the Time Machine menu bar icon, you can enable it in System Settings. If you need more help using Time Machine, there is plenty available via a Google search or the Mac Help menu.

Also, Quicken can make automatic backups of your file each time you quit. I believe this is on by default. To check if it's on, look at the General tab of Quicken Settings. You can get to the backups via menu File > Show Backups in Finder. If auto backup is not already on, it would be a good idea to turn it on.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    No, there isn't a user accessible log which shows your actions step by step.

The program does have multi-level undo (via command+z or menu), so the program is tracking changes internally. But, the user can't "see" the list of prior activity. That undo history isn't also saved forever-a restart of the program resets it. 

I have made many a user error that I didn't expect, but also don't rule out something else like accidentally entering the transaction correctly, filtering the view to prevent seeing it, etc. It is rare that transactions "vanish" in QMac. Not impossible, but rare. 
  • Allan L.
    Allan L. Member ✭✭
    This is helpful, thanks. I wonder if it might be possible to review earlier versions of the Quicken data file (in Quicken, of course) using the Mac’s Time Machine backups.
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you should be able to access older copies of your data file using Time Machine. You should first make a backup of your file in case you inadvertently restore an old copy you don't want to use.

Go to your file in the Finder (Quicken menu File > Show "filename" in Finder. Then invoke Time Machine (Time Machine menu bar icon > Browse Time Machine Backups) which will take you directly to the Time Machine backups of your file. If you don't see the Time Machine menu bar icon, you can enable it in System Settings. If you need more help using Time Machine, there is plenty available via a Google search or the Mac Help menu.

Also, Quicken can make automatic backups of your file each time you quit. I believe this is on by default. To check if it's on, look at the General tab of Quicken Settings. You can get to the backups via menu File > Show Backups in Finder. If auto backup is not already on, it would be a good idea to turn it on.
  • Allan L.
    Allan L. Member ✭✭
    This is super helpful, thanks. I did have the back-up on quit on, but it turns out that I was not often quitting Quicken, so I didn’t have a helpful backup in the Quicken file. Changing that habit now! I think I can manage the Time Machine retrieval; hadn’t thought through how to avoid an inadvertent restoration of an old version. Thanks again!
  • RickO
    It sounds like you are already planning to, but I really don't recommend leaving Quicken open when you're not using it. Aside from not triggering a backup, the Quicken database is "live" in the app at all times. There is no control over when Quicken writes to it. Although not likely, it is possible for the database to get corrupted if the computer crashes with Quicken open. It is best to quit Quicken when not using it so that the database gets closed for writes.
This discussion has been closed.