Why can't I add a manual account?

I am clicking on add account like I have for OVER 20 years with a NON subscription account. This is my first subscription account. I just want to add a MANUAL account (I don't use any online services). It just sits there; mouse 'hour glasses' for about 5 seconds and then nothing. I have clicked on the plus, I have clicked on settings and manually hit 'add account'. NOTHING. I need to set up my invoices for Q1 2023. (using home and business)

THANK YOU!!!

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @kazual90,

The reason I asked the above question is that Quicken must be able to establish an outbound internet connection for it to work.  So there could be a  problem with that.  I suggest that you check your Windows security settings. Also if you have a VPN enabled that could also be blocking the connection, so you should try turning that off.

But, before you do any of the above suggestions - try shutting down all apps as well as your computer. Then restart and only open the Quicken app (no others) and try adding the account again to see if that works.  

If nothing suggested above helps, I suggest that you contact Quicken Support for some hands-on assistance.

Let me know how this all works out.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @kazual90,

Sorry to hear that you are having those problems.

Can you tell me whether you are seeing any error code or codes when you attempt to add the account?  Which type of account are you trying to add?  Are other tasks in Quicken, such as entering transactions into accounts working?  Have you setup any accounts for downloading?  If so, is the download process working correctly?  If you haven't "connected" any accounts, is your plan to continue entering all data manually.

Any additional information will help us to help you.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• kazual90
    kazual90 Member ✭✭
    everything that I have done was in my post. I click the plus and hour glass is about 2-4 seconds and then nothing. I post transactions with no problems but have just tried to add on line service, which i probably won't use and that doesn't do anything either...but no, no error messages, just sits for 2-4 seconds and then nothing...
  • kazual90
    kazual90 Member ✭✭
    also, my intention was ALWAYS to enter manually...I tried from the banks YEARS ago and didn't like it. So have been manual for over 20 years. Shame I couldn't keep my 2017...LOVED it but wasn't supported and couldn't get to my data when i switched computers...
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @kazual90,

Are you connected to the internet when you try to add the account?  Quicken is setup to assume that its users will want to download transactions and therefore one of the first steps to adding a new account is a "search for your financial institution".  That could be causing this problem.  If you can, I suggest that you connect first before you try to add the account, you'll be able to setup the account as an offline account, but you may not be able to get to that screen if you are not "connected".

Frankx 

• kazual90
    kazual90 Member ✭✭
    Hi, and yes, I am connected to the Internet and that is how I was able to get onto the community. I am always connected to the Internet.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @kazual90,

The reason I asked the above question is that Quicken must be able to establish an outbound internet connection for it to work.  So there could be a  problem with that.  I suggest that you check your Windows security settings. Also if you have a VPN enabled that could also be blocking the connection, so you should try turning that off.

But, before you do any of the above suggestions - try shutting down all apps as well as your computer. Then restart and only open the Quicken app (no others) and try adding the account again to see if that works.  

If nothing suggested above helps, I suggest that you contact Quicken Support for some hands-on assistance.

Let me know how this all works out.

Frankx

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What TYPE of account are you trying to create and what are you trying to NAME that account?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• kazual90
    kazual90 Member ✭✭
    It’s a “manual “ account for Q1 invoices. Nothing to do with banks or credit cards. I WANT MY 2017 back :(
  • kazual90
    kazual90 Member ✭✭
    just trying to add a NON 'connect to a bank/credit card' account. I'm calling it Invoices Q1; THAT'S IT...I have been manual for over 20 years. I don't like having the bank or anything else connected
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @kazual90, there have been other reports of users being unable to get the create new account process to start. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• kazual90
    kazual90 Member ✭✭
    THANK YOU!! Yea, I have to set up my 2023 stuff and this is crazy...Almost February and haven't added anything in...:(
  • kazual90
    kazual90 Member ✭✭
    OKAY...45 minutes on with support, they shared my screen. I'M IN!!! They were able to go back ONE MONTH previoius to when i first started on quicken (2001) WOW...and after he changed those dates, I got right in!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @kazual90

Glad to hear the Q-Support was able to get you back on track!!!!

Frankx

• kazual90
    kazual90 Member ✭✭
    He was totally amazing and his patience was fantastic. He dialed right into my computer right away and 45 minutes later…:)
  • We experienced the identical issue and followed this thread & other mentioned above to hopefully fix it. Posting this to help others with the fix that worked for us without Q support.
    We needed to add an Offline Account using the up-to-date Quicken App . This issue started right after we did the "Check for Updates" and installed the latest Update (R47.11).
    1) When trying to "Add Account" from the home screen, and thru Tools --> Add Account, and everywhere "Add Account" was an option: We saw the hourglass for 2 seconds, a blip of the App, then nothing.
    2) Tried to do the full "Validate File" (with Control/Shift held down while clicking "Validate") = no fix/unsuccessful
    3) Then tried the simple Validate option = no fix/unsuccessful.
    4) Tried closing all other apps=nothing changed.
    5) Tried re-booting system with no apps opened= No changed.

The Fix that Worked:
    A) Finally, we backed up the complete Q file, then uninstalled the Quicken App.
    B) Went to Quicken.com & downloaded the current build/version.
    C) Rebooted system,
    D) Installed fresh Quicken App file.
    E) Rebooted again, then opened Quicken and VOILA! Issue was fixed.

Note, after the fresh build/install - the Q version is now R44.28. We plan to NOT check for updates for a while. Updates have cost us more in time and headaches w/ troubleshooting afterwards than any value or improvements the "updates" are supposed to bring.

Hope this helps save at least a few people the many frustrating hours we spent trying to resolve.
This discussion has been closed.