Quicken no longer in Costco

Jean Schumpelt
Jean Schumpelt Member ✭✭
edited February 2023 in Before you Buy
Why? I have been a Quicken user for over 30 years, but because Quicken can never get their Budgeting tool correct, I have had to subscribe to another Wonderful app, [Removed - 3rd-Party Software], but that leaves reporting not as efficient as Quicken. However, I am not going to pay full price for two services....Costco was my solution....if I have to choose...it will be [Removed - 3rd-Party Software]

Comments

• Sorry, didn't know I couldn't tell you about competition, however, I would still like an answer about it no longer being offered at Costco.
    Thanks
  • UserDavidC
    UserDavidC Member ✭✭✭✭
    I just looked at the Costco website and they do offer Premier and Home and Business versions of Quicken.
    Quicken user since 1995.
    Current subscription user.
  • no, they do not....they are running their stock out. They said, they no longer carry it....?????
  • UserDavidC
    UserDavidC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    I'm not a member of Costco and their website doesn't mention anything about discontinuing carrying Quicken products.

As far as I know, Quicken will supply their products to any store that wants them so you'll need to talk to Costco and try to convince them to continue to carry Quicken or why they are discontinuing Quicken.
    Quicken user since 1995.
    Current subscription user.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2023
    It might not be available at your local Costco anymore (mine stopped carrying any computer software years ago) but you can still buy Premiere online through the Costco website (I just checked). The only one they are currently not selling is Quicken Deluxe. And you can find better deals on Quicken if you keep an eye out for sales.

If you want to know why Costco is doing what they're doing, surely you'd have to ask them? It's a waste of time to complain about it here.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    no, they do not....they are running their stock out. They said, they no longer carry it....?????
    Are you talking about a Costco store no longer carrying it?  That might be because Costco stores often carry many items in stores for a limited amount of time and when the inventory is gone it is gone (at least for a while).
    I, too, am seeing Premier and Home & Business being sold by Costco.com for a nice discount.  And I am seeing people posting reviews there that are just hours old and there are no messages that inventory is limited.
    If you are not able to purchase it from Costco.com, have you tried looking at other retailers like Amazon, Walmart, Sams, Best Buy, etc.?  You are more likely to find a discounted price at one of these than on Quicken.com.  Just make sure to read the fine print and look at the picture of the box to make sure what is being offered isn't just for new subscribers.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    After Quicken moved to a subscription pricing model five years ago, they began reducing the ways customers could buy it at a discounted price — discounts they had to offer retailers to pass along to consumers. Over the past year or two, most of the discounts available are for new subscribers for their first year. If there isn't variation in pricing, and if buying a retail copy still gets you to download the actual software from their website, then there's not a lot of value to anyone in Quicken being sold in retail sites, except as in-store advertising. So it's possible Quicken is moving to eliminate sales through retailers and will eventually just sell online. That would eliminate a ton of costs for designing and manufacturing the boxes and discs, shipping them to stores, dealing with physical returns, etc. I have no information that is this their strategy, but it seems to me to make sense unless they find that the costs of retail generate enough in new sales they might otherwise miss.

Or, there could just be a delay in the retail channel with copies of Quicken Deluxe, and new copies will show up in your Costco next month. ;) Who knows?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    My experience with Costco and buying Quicken is that they don't "continuously" have it.  And this has been true for as long as I can remember.  First off, if you are looking for it in their stores, I tended to find it only right after it would come out for the year.  With being subscription now, I wouldn't count on it being there at any time, but I haven't looked for it in years.  Even on their website I would see if from time to time, and then not for a long time.  I think this is the nature of how Costco makes their buys.  It might be they are only willing to buy it if they can offer a good discount, and that might mean that Quicken Inc changes what they can buy it for from time to time.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    And here is something I think that backs that up.  If you look to other retailers like Office Depot and Staples, you will find that they still have all the editions, but at full retail price.

There have certainly been times where you can buy it at a discount, and times where you can't.
    For instance, around Black Friday I definitely saw discounts.

Of course, if it just so happens that you bought your 1-year subscription at a time of the year that never has discounts, you are pretty much stuck in buying it full price forever.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, you can break the cycle if you think ahead.  When you buy from a retailer you get an activation code, and that doesn't have to be used right away.  So, you can buy when it is on sale, and activate later.  In fact, I believe you can activate within three months before it expires, and it will just extend the expiration date (you won't be able to activate before that time).
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.