Hide/Archive Matured Fixed Income Securities (CDs, Treasuries, Bonds, etc)

Options
MontanaKarl
MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
edited October 2023 in Investments
When entering a Buy or a Sell transaction, Quicken presents a Securities List drop-down that includes every fixed income security every owned which is insane... since matured fixed income securities can neither be bought or sold.  Once matured, they basically do not exist any longer!!  (Other than to show up in reports and historical transactions in the register.)

I have over 100 matured CD's, Treasuries and Bonds that I have to scroll through every time I enter any transaction that involves the Securities drop-down list.  An example is shown below - truncated to just a few matured Treasuries for illustration.  You'll notice that all maturity dates are shown ..and are years ago.

If I open the Securities list to edit any one of these matured fixed income investments ... there is no checkmark or method to mark them as "inactive" or otherwise hide them once they have matured.  (Further, the maturity date is shown there and known to Quicken, so hiding them as inactive / unavailable should simply be automatic.)

Please add your vote and comments :-)

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

2 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    It's not much of a fix, but as something of a work-around: if you want to take a few minutes to edit the name of each of these securities to have a "z" prefix, then you won't need to see them/scroll through them in the security drop-down menu because they'll be at the bottom of the list. I do this with all my formerly-held securities, until such time as the developers create a way to hide such securities from the list. 

I'll also note that there is a longstanding Idea thread for allowing securities no longer owned to be hidden. And miraculously, this is one of the handful of Ideas marked as "Planned"! That's the good news. The bad news: it was marked as Planned back in August 2020, and it still hasn't been released after nearly 30 months… so who knows when it will actually see the light of day. ;)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MontanaKarl
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Thanks for finding that thread, @jacobs
    I did search before posting, but didn't find it.  I just hope that 2.5 years later, we'll see this implemented sooner than later...

I do think that there is a subtle difference between that wish and this one in that the fixed income issue raised above isn't just one of 'securities no longer owned' - but things that are still 'ownable'... e.g., I don't own GOOG but I could go buy some.  WIth the fixed income securities... it is impossible to own these things.  They literally no longer exist.

• TomBowman1948
    Options

I found a work around. In your portfolio display, select Options, customize current view, securities, locate the CD you don't want to show anymore and uncheck the box for that security then click OK. This security will now be hidden from your Portfolio view.

• MontanaKarl
    Options

If this worked (and I can't seem to make it work), it has no impact on drop-down lists… so when you go to do a Buy or Sell transaction, all of those "dead" matured CD's and bonds will still show up in the lists. That's the major impact - with no workaround.

Hiding in Portfolio view makes no sense, as a matured bond or CD (or a sold security) will NOT show up in portfolio view in the first place.

Lastly, I must be missing something - or else you are looking at Quicken Windows? - as there is no customization of the Portfolio tab that allows you to select which securities are displayed in QMac. Where do you see this option?

• MontanaKarl
    Options

Now that Quicken Classic for Mac 7.6 has added the ability to hide Categories and Tags… how about folks voting for and giving a little love to this wish so that the Securities list will have the same feature? 😀

• MontanaKarl
    Options

This wish could probably be merged with this one:

as the resulting functionality would be the same. (With matured fixed income securities, Quicken could automatically hide them after maturity… as the only real difference. Matured bonds can never be purchased again so it's just dumb for them to still who up everywhere.)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Now that Quicken Classic for Mac 7.6 has added the ability to hide Categories and Tags… how about folks voting for and giving a little love to this wish so that the Securities list will have the same feature?

@MontanaKarl As you note, this is already marked as a Planned feature in the other thread. I'm not sure why this thread wasn't merged with that one, since there's basically asking for the same thing, unless you wanted bonds to auto-hide at maturity. Is there a reason you think users should vote for this thread separately?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MontanaKarl
    Options

Auto-hide would be nice, but this should really just be merged with the other planned (hurray) wish. :-)