Quicken and Quicken Deluxe run simultaneously as show in Windows 10 Task Manager

They duel for resources, slowing start of the program - painfully so. Why do both start?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you show us a snapshot of what you're seeing?  Because, that's not supposed to be possible.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen this, but it flashes by so quickly in Task Manager that I can't capture a screen shot.
    I see a process named "Quicken" in addition to the normal "Quicken Premier", but the former is short-lived. I think it's just some sub-process running briefly as opposed to a separate application fighting for resources. In addition to startup, it sometimes appears when switching between data files.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps, have you requested that Quotes be updated when you start Q?  That might be the 2nd thread.

• Robert Lynas
    Robert Lynas Member ✭✭
    Here's the screenshot NotACPA asked for
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited January 2023
    That display is perfectly normal. Quicken Windows is the name of the task and Quicken Deluxe is the name of the main process running in that task.
    What I was occasionally seeing was a 3rd line with the Q logo labeled simply "Quicken" but it doesn't stick around long.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you're showing is that Q Win Deluxe, an  example of QWin, is running ...not 2 separate processes.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    They duel for resources, slowing start of the program - painfully so. Why do both start?
    How much RAM do you have available on your computer? 8 GB, 12 GB, more?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The more concerning part is this:

What causes this is there are Windows messages being sent to applications all the time, and if the application doesn't respond to those messages in a timely manner, Windows marks it with the "Not responding".

That implies something in Quicken is getting hung up for a fairly long period of time.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Chris_QPW said:
    What causes this is there are Windows messages being sent to applications all the time, and if the application doesn't respond to those messages in a timely manner, Windows marks it with the "Not responding".
    True, but it doesn't mean much for Quicken because there are various functions which routinely usurp the event loop and cause Windows to complain. That's why I called the screen shot "normal." Validate is pretty much sure to get into that state, for example. We just have to wait it out and not panic and kill the task.

This discussion has been closed.