Buy[ing Quicken again]

arojas
arojas Member
edited February 2023 in Before you Buy
I want to know if Quicken has any program to keep a personal checking account. Well, I've been using Quicken for years. But paying $42 for a checking account balance program is a lot. I have no connection to my bank or anything other than entering purchases, deposits, charges and nothing else. Sure reconcile.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like you answered your own question ... Q does indeed have a program to keep a personal checking account, several of them in fact.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Quicken does not have a separate program just for managing a checkbook. There is the desktop Quicken software, and there is the online-only Simplifi software. Both are designed to bring together data from multiple financial institutions and accounts, report on income and expenses, create a budget, etc. You can certainly use either one to manage just a single checking account. Whether the price is worth it to you is something only you can answer. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    arojas said:
    I want to know if Quicken has any program to keep a personal checking account. Well, I've been using Quicken for years. But paying $42 for a checking account balance program is a lot. I have no connection to my bank or anything other than entering purchases, deposits, charges and nothing else. Sure reconcile.
    Adding on to what has been stated above:  Since you are not using any of the online services, why not just let your subscription expire?  If you are using Deluxe edition or higher, you will be able to continue using Quicken manually for $0 after the subscription expires for as long as your system continues to support it.  The main drawback, from some people's perspective, is that there will be a banner on the Quicken screen that will take up about 25% of the view.  That banner cannot be removed without resubscribing but if all you are using it for is as a checkbook then I would think this should not be a huge issue.
    Note if you have Starter edition:  If you let the subscription expire it will become read-only.  If you want to then continue using Quicken you would need to resubscribe every year.  Another option would be to upgrage to Deluxe edition (for 1 year) and then after your subscription expires you can continue to use it manually for free, as was mentioned in my first paragraph.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    and there is always the tried and true paper check register booklet ....free from your bank! 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Mark1104 said:
    and there is always the tried and true paper check register booklet ....free from your bank! 
    Personally, I don't see why if all you have is one checking account, not just do it all on the bank's website.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Chris_QPW said:
    Mark1104 said:
    Personally, I don't see why if all you have is one checking account, not just do it all on the bank's website.
    I agree that is perhaps the best solution provided one does not want to do forward looking projections.  I don't think I've seen any bank that allows one to plug in manual Reminders that will project forward looking balances.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    Mark1104 said:
    I agree that is perhaps the best solution provided one does not want to do forward looking projections.  I don't think I've seen any bank that allows one to plug in manual Reminders that will project forward looking balances.
    Good point.  I guess though if I was just doing manual entry for a simple checking account, I would just use Quicken 2013 Deluxe that can be used for free.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Chris_QPW said:
    Chris_QPW said:
    Mark1104 said:
    Good point.  I guess though if I was just doing manual entry for a simple checking account, I would just use Quicken 2013 Deluxe that can be used for free.
    Yes, that would be a good choice.  At first I was thinking @arojas probably already is using a later version of Quicken that would not be backward compatible with QWin 2013.  But in retrospect, if it is only being used with a checking account I would imagine that account could be exported as a QXF or QIF file.  Then set up a new file with QWin 2013 and import that QXF or QIF file.  All the history then would be retained in that QWin 2013 file and it could be used manually going forward.  I don't remember if this can be done with QWin 2013 but it seems like it should work.  Do you agree?

This discussion has been closed.