One Step Update is crashing Quicken for Windows and Crushing QDFs.

spratleywa
spratleywa Member ✭✭✭
To whomever, it concerns, hopefully, somebody with Quicken, the One Step Update process has been bad since the beginning of the year. Anything involved with OSU is crashing Quicken. This includes OSU, resetting my online dataset, and deactivating an account's Online Setup (after they are mysteriously flagged with a CC-800 when it crashes from an OSU).

It appears not to like one of my Keesler Federal Credit Union accounts (I have 2, so a love-hate relationship) and all of my Marcus CD bank accounts.

Before the beginning of the year OSU was SLOW, but it worked. Since that New Year weekend OSU fiasco it has gone into the dumpster corrupting restored QDFs left and right. So, Quicken is a useless mess for me at this time.

Note I've been using it since December of 1995 with an opening deposit to my checking account on 12/18/1995. I even paid for Pocket Quicken in January of 1997.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    To whomever, it concerns, hopefully, somebody with Quicken, the One Step Update process has been bad since the beginning of the year. Anything involved with OSU is crashing Quicken. This includes OSU, resetting my online dataset, and deactivating an account's Online Setup (after they are mysteriously flagged with a CC-800 when it crashes from an OSU).

It appears not to like one of my Keesler Federal Credit Union accounts (I have 2, so a love-hate relationship) and all of my Marcus CD bank accounts.

Before the beginning of the year OSU was SLOW, but it worked. Since that New Year weekend OSU fiasco it has gone into the dumpster corrupting restored QDFs left and right. So, Quicken is a useless mess for me at this time.

Note I've been using it since December of 1995 with an opening deposit to my checking account on 12/18/1995. I even paid for Pocket Quicken in January of 1997.
    Hello @spratleywa,        

We are sorry about these difficulties with online banking services. Thank you for letting us know about these issues here on the Quicken Community. 

First, are you receiving any error messages with respect to your Keesler Federal Credit Union, and if so, what kind? Also, in regards to the general slowness of One Step Updates, have you tried restarting your computer after this happens? You may additionally try uninstalling the Quicken software using the steps listed in this Support Article, then deleting Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder. You may then reinstall the software after following those steps using the steps listed here.

Let us know more about this situation, if you can check back in with us about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • spratleywa
    spratleywa Member ✭✭✭
    Jared, as of just a little while ago, I was finally able to restore my last known good file without Quicken locking up during the initial sync. Then I was able to deactivate all the Keesler and Marcus accounts flagged with CC-800 errors without Quickent locking up. Next, I was able to successfully link their Online setups without Quicken locking up. Finally, I was able to run a successful One Step Update.

btw, the Keesler account consists of three accounts (two checking and one saving) using the same login and the Marcus accounts consist of three CD accounts using the same login. But, I have another Keesler accounts which consists of three accounts and it has always processed without issue.

Note in all steps Quicken still seemed to struggle with the process. I run Quicken on two laptops with 16 gigabytes of ram, an I-7 processor, and a 1-terabyte SSD. But, Quicken appears to stress out.

Finally, aside from the bogus CC-800 errors associated with these accounts, the accounts haven't triggered particular error messages. But, through this ordeal, Quicken has crashed on sync with either a "Failed to create dump file: "" (error 183)" error message or a "Quicken cannot process the selected date range. Please try with a shorter date range." or both. I believe these are just fall-through error messages after Quicken spins it proverbial wheels too long and finally crashes. Recommend y'all search the Quicken code base and replace these error messages with relevant error messages.

Anyway, I am finally back to the normal struggling, but functional Quicken.
  • spratleywa
    spratleywa Member ✭✭✭
    Welp, something new. My Discover credit card account just went CC-800.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the FAQ for dealing with CC-800.  Have you reviewed and followed it?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• spratleywa
    spratleywa Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    @NotACPA I have done EVERYTHING. Just uninstalled Quicken, deleted the Program Files and AppData folders, deleted my online dataset, and reinstalled Quicken.

I tried to reset the data, but it crashed and disappeared. Okay, I restarted Quicken and tried syncing. It seemed to work, but no investment data was uploaded. I waited about 10 minutes, tried syncing, and it crashed, but with that useless "report a problem" prompt. You know the one with the disclaimer that Quicken doesn't look at the report, but the information will be dumped into some machine learning (I guess) data file for software improvement analysis.

Okay, I restarted Quicken, and all accounts, except Alight and Citi, are flagged as CC-800.

I don't know what Quicken is doing or what's happening with its partners, but the application is useless junk.
  • spratleywa
    spratleywa Member ✭✭✭
    p.s., to answer your specific question, yes I have executed the guidance provided by the link for CC-800 errors. I've gotten pretty good at it because I have been doing it regularly for the past two weeks.

I believe the crux of the issue is that the application cannot correctly deal with poor communication. Instead of gracefully timing out, it corrupts the file.
  • Quicken Jared
    p.s., to answer your specific question, yes I have executed the guidance provided by the link for CC-800 errors. I've gotten pretty good at it because I have been doing it regularly for the past two weeks.

I believe the crux of the issue is that the application cannot correctly deal with poor communication. Instead of gracefully timing out, it corrupts the file.
    Hello @spratleywa,    

Thanks for working with us on this problem so studiously. We do apologize that this issue is continuing. 

In this case, if the troubleshooting steps provided previously have not resolved the issue, then given the connection method and nature of the issue, it will be necessary to reach out to Quicken Support. You can do this with the information provided in this link. They will need to document and troubleshoot this issue in greater details with the resources and tools uniquely available to them. I do wish that we could provide more advice from the Quicken Community, but Support's help will be necessary in this situation. I will inquire with the proper channels - in the meantime - about these possible issues you are mentioning; if you have not already sent logs within the last week or so by navigating to Help > Report a Problem in the upper menu at the top of the screen, doing so now will be helpful. 

I hope that is helpful, and feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • spratleywa
    spratleywa Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jared! Yes, I plan to contact support on Friday.

Note I believe something is happening in the background because this morning Quicken couldn't connect to any of the services supporting my accounts with a CC-501 error message indicating that it wasn't my problem but to try again later to see if it has been resolved.

So, hopefully, by Friday my issues will be resolved.
  • spratleywa
    spratleywa Member ✭✭✭
    It appears the One Step Update process finally stabilized this afternoon. The only laggard is my Discover Card account. I can deactivate it, set up online services; Quicken indicates success, but as soon as I perform a One Step Update the account is flagged with a CC-800 error. Also, I can go through the Fix It process which triggers the account to be reset; Quicken again indicates success, but as soon as I perform a One Step Update the account is flagged with a CC-800 error.
  • spratleywa
    spratleywa Member ✭✭✭
    Consider my Quicken data file somewhat stable now, but still getting CC-800 for the Discover Card account, no matter how many times I deactivate it and reset it. Also, transactions are being downloaded.

Otherwise, I consider both One Step Update and Syncing to Quicken Cloud functionally broken. I can't turn off One Step Update, but I will no longer sync with Quicken Cloud.

What is funny, in a wrong way, is that when you restore a file and uncheck the sync to Quicken Cloud, it still does it. That's terrible code. I see that kind of brain-dead code throughout Quicken.
  • keedow28
    keedow28 Member ✭✭
    Thanks to @Quicken Jared, I uninstalled and reinstalled Quicken and I am now able to successfully complete One-Step Updates. Thank you so much for the help!
  • Quicken Jared
    keedow28 said:
    Thanks to @Quicken Jared, I uninstalled and reinstalled Quicken and I am now able to successfully complete One-Step Updates. Thank you so much for the help!
    Hello @keedow28,    

Thanks so much for checking in with us to let us know about your results following the use of these troubleshooting instructions. I am glad to hear that the situation seems to have been resolved, and that these steps were helpful.

Feel free to get back to us anytime with any additional questions or concerns, and have a great day!

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.