American Express Log-in and Download issues username and password not recognized?

reach01
reach01 Member
For the past couple of weeks I've been unable to update or re-connect my American Express credit card accounts to Quicken for Mac. When I try to update or re-connect, I get a username/password error. I can use my username and password on the Amex website, but not through Quicken. I have reset the password and this problem persists. Direct connect doesn't help either (same error message). Any help appreciated.

Answers

• Hello @reach01,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. 

If you don’t mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the error message you described receiving? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.  

I look forward to your response so I may further assist you. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just double-checking ...
    In my Quicken for Windows, "Direct Connect" is the communications protocol used for downloading credit card accounts from AmEx.
    When you try to activate your AmEx accounts, do you use "Direct Connect" or "Web Connect"? Do try "Direct Connect" if possible.
  • reach01
    reach01 Member
    Screenshot of error message:
  • Hello @reach01,

Thank you for providing the screenshot. 

First, I suggest creating a test file and attempting to add the American Express account(s) to see if the same issue occurs when trying to sign in. You can create a test file by navigating to File > New > Start from Scratch. It is recommended to save a backup before proceeding with troubleshooting steps (just in case). 

Please let me know how this goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

• reach01
    reach01 Member
    I thought I'd tried Direct Connect with the same result but it seems to be working now. Let me "mess" with it for awhile...and maybe I can call this conversation a success. We'll see...
  • Hello @reach01,

Thank you for coming back to update us! 

Please let us know if you require further assistance after attempting to use Direct Connect. 

Thanks! 

-Quicken Jasmine

This discussion has been closed.