2 computers 1 data file on web

Options
LPatriots18!
LPatriots18! Member
edited February 2023 in Using Quicken on the Web
I bought the subscription copy of Quicken mainly to be able to use ot on either of my laptops, by having the data file on Quicken's cloud and my laptops accessing it there, so that any time I used it on either laptop, the data file would be updated. From what I've read, that is either not possible or cautioned against. Am I wrong? Can it be done, and how? If possible, where to find step-by-step instructions?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @LPatriots18!

The Quicken application does not place, or store, your Quicken Datafile in the "Quicken Cloud".  The Quicken Cloud is a utility that Quicken uses transmits a subset of the information in your datafile between the desktop software and Quicken mobile and web apps. It does allow users to see parts of their data , for example on your phone, and to enter some data using your phone that will sync back to your datafile when you revert to and connect your laptop, but that's all.

So, in short, you cannot use the "Quicken Cloud" to maintain your datafile in the cloud.  If you want to maintain your datafile "in the cloud" so you can use it as you describe above, you will need to use some other "cloud" to do that.  And as noted above, one needs to be very careful  because a number of users have had serious data losses from using that approach.

Hope this helps.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can use the Cloud to backup your data, and to restore to the other laptop ... but using the file stored in the cloud directly is STRONGLY dis-advised.
    All that it would take is a single hiccup during such usage (and those are common during online) and your Q data file would be irrecoverable toast.
    You could also use a USB drive to move the data between computers, as i did when I was traveling all the time.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @LPatriots18!

The Quicken application does not place, or store, your Quicken Datafile in the "Quicken Cloud".  The Quicken Cloud is a utility that Quicken uses transmits a subset of the information in your datafile between the desktop software and Quicken mobile and web apps. It does allow users to see parts of their data , for example on your phone, and to enter some data using your phone that will sync back to your datafile when you revert to and connect your laptop, but that's all.

So, in short, you cannot use the "Quicken Cloud" to maintain your datafile in the cloud.  If you want to maintain your datafile "in the cloud" so you can use it as you describe above, you will need to use some other "cloud" to do that.  And as noted above, one needs to be very careful  because a number of users have had serious data losses from using that approach.

Hope this helps.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @LPatriots18! - the Quicken Cloud is NOT the same as other cloud services… it ONLY stores a select few elements of your entire Quicken QFX data file. 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.