Will I be able to open old Q file in the future

I need to simplify my Q life. My current file is so old it's cumbersome. I'm thinking of starting over with a new Q data file but may need to find some old transaction someday in my current file, or run a report. How do I insure this current data file can be used with some future subscription Windows version of Quicken years from now? Thanks

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    If you decide to start a new file and "retire" the current one, yes, Quicken should be able to read/open the file in the future.  But you should do some things to that file after you have the new file up and running like you want it.
    Things to do to the old file:
    1. Delete all of the reminders so that they don't fire off when you open the file in the future.
    2. De-activate any accounts that are setup for One Step Update.
    3. De-activate any online billers that might be set up.
    4. Periodically open the file (every 12 months or so) so that if there are any changes to the internal file format, it gets updated to the newer format to keep it "fresh".
    I've probably missed something, but the idea is make it so that the file doesn't want to do anything in the future if you open it.  Just think of 12 auto-entered reminders a year to pay the electric bill popping up if you opened the file three years down the road.  You would have a bunch of transactions added to a register.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @gregb4,

Like most things in life, there are few guarantees.  But there are folks here in this "community" whose datafiles go back to the mid 80's.  The Quicken application has gone through a number of transitions but the datafiles have been convertible to each new version.

Hope this helps.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please describe what you mean by "cumbersome".  Slow?  Too many old/closed accounts cluttering up things?  Or....?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    If you decide to start a new file and "retire" the current one, yes, Quicken should be able to read/open the file in the future.  But you should do some things to that file after you have the new file up and running like you want it.
    Things to do to the old file:
    1. Delete all of the reminders so that they don't fire off when you open the file in the future.
    2. De-activate any accounts that are setup for One Step Update.
    3. De-activate any online billers that might be set up.
    4. Periodically open the file (every 12 months or so) so that if there are any changes to the internal file format, it gets updated to the newer format to keep it "fresh".
    I've probably missed something, but the idea is make it so that the file doesn't want to do anything in the future if you open it.  Just think of 12 auto-entered reminders a year to pay the electric bill popping up if you opened the file three years down the road.  You would have a bunch of transactions added to a register.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version of Quicken … 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.