How does Quicken translate investment transactions into Income and expense?

Options
Joseph Kasko
Joseph Kasko Member ✭✭
Can you catagorize investment income, expense and tax transactions for budgets.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    HI @Joseph Kasko,

I assume that you are trying to put together a budget in Quicken.  If that is the case and you want to know if you should budget for investment income, investment expense and taxes, the answer is yes.  The reason is that these items, although not as reliably predicted, as most income and expense categories, should still be part of you overall budget.

I would suggest that for investment income, you consider whether you'll be receiving dividend income or interest on investments and estimate how much of each you are likely to receive - and budget for that income.  Similarly, you should also budget for taxes, including income taxes, that you will be required to pay.  You should start with the amount of total taxes (federal and state) you paid last year and then estimate amounts for the new year to be similar to last year's payments.

Let me know if you have any followup questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    HI @Joseph Kasko,

I assume that you are trying to put together a budget in Quicken.  If that is the case and you want to know if you should budget for investment income, investment expense and taxes, the answer is yes.  The reason is that these items, although not as reliably predicted, as most income and expense categories, should still be part of you overall budget.

I would suggest that for investment income, you consider whether you'll be receiving dividend income or interest on investments and estimate how much of each you are likely to receive - and budget for that income.  Similarly, you should also budget for taxes, including income taxes, that you will be required to pay.  You should start with the amount of total taxes (federal and state) you paid last year and then estimate amounts for the new year to be similar to last year's payments.

Let me know if you have any followup questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.