Separate payments and credits boxes when reconciling credit card accounts

Options
Jeff Bean
Jeff Bean Member ✭✭✭

When you reconcile a credit card account to a paper statement, one of the amounts it asks you to copy from the statement is the total of the payments and credits for the month. These two amounts are invariably listed separately on the paper statement and you have to add the two together before entering them into Quicken. It would be nice if there were two boxes on the reconcile screen to save you the trouble of doing the addition.

1 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most of the time, people only have Payments to the account, so  I see little benefit to this idea.
    Also, the calculator to the immediate right of the box makes calculating combined amounts easy.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    When entering data in the form
    enter 0 into the Charges and Payments fields. There's no need to enter the actual amounts. Quicken does not appear to use them.
    Enter the Ending Statement Balance and proceed with Reconciliation as usual.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like UKR, I haven't entered those numbers in years, I just enter 0.  It works just the same if you put in #s or 0s.
    I would be more prone to suggest that Quicken remove those two fields from the reconcile screen, they are superfluous and a waste of time.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list