How do I turn off matching to downloaded transactions

Quicken suddenly decided to try to match entries to downloaded transactions, e.g. credit card bills, pay, etc. . There are none to match. It won't let me clear the red pencil. I don't want this feature.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Bigfoot

To "turn off" matching to downloaded transaction - Go to "Edit" > "Preferences" > "Downloaded transactions" > then deselect everything in the "After downloading transactions" section (at the top) > then click "OK".  That should do it.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Member
    None of these were selected. This answer did not help.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigfoot said:
    Quicken suddenly decided to try to match entries to downloaded transactions, e.g. credit card bills, pay, etc. . There are none to match. It won't let me clear the red pencil. I don't want this feature.
    Please explain why "There are none to match".
    Usually, there's a (manually entered) register transaction that a downloaded transaction can / should be matched to. That will remove the red pencil icon.
    The register's status column icons are explained here: https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Status+column+icons
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The original question "How do I turn off matching to downloaded transactions" doesn't make sense and there isn't any preference to turn off matching downloaded transactions because it is too fundamental to how Quicken works.

When downloading of transactions there are two possible situations as far as existing transactions in the register are concerned.
    1) There is a manually entered transaction in the register that the downloaded transaction should be matched with and merged into.
    2) There isn't a manually entered transaction in the register and the downloaded transaction just goes straight into the register.

If you expand that Status/blue dot column you will see that the red pencil has the text Uncleared after it.  When you enter a transaction manually it is uncleared because as far as Quicken knows it hasn't cleared the financial institution yet.  This will also be indicated by the fact that the Clr column is blank.

Downloaded transactions have the cleared/C status set and as such the red pencil/Uncleared status goes away.

The big questions here are how did you get an uncleared transaction in your register; did you manually enter it?
    Provided this isn't some kind of bug like a Sync to Mobile/Web problem that just created this uncleared transaction out of the blue the next question is how do you expect Quicken to determine/set that transaction to cleared?

I have outlined above the normal way that Quicken does that.  The other possibility is that you click on the Clr column and change it yourself.  But if you are downloading transactions then this is normally not the proper way to do it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.