R47.11 Update

Options
>:) So ... I launched Quicken earlier this afternoon to record an item. I come back after several hours and it automatically goes into an update - after which I get an error that it can't open the file that has 8+ years of data! And how convenient is it that the update installs less than 5 minutes AFTER their support via chat and phone is closed?! Gawd ... I wish Microsoft would bring back MS Money. Is there a way to turn these #$&%@! updates OFF?

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Set your Windows UAC setting high enough and you will be asked before ANY program updates itself.  Yes, that means you will have to approve updates, but that is a small price to pay to be in control of your computer.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• GrudowskiC
    GrudowskiC Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestion. I did see that recommendation elsewhere the last time I had an issue (twice this year already), and my setting is already at the highest, but the little bugger still got through without asking.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are ways in Windows to blow right through the UAC setting and a Quicken release (I can't locate it right now) in the last 12 months was supposed fixed that from happening but from your experience it is evident they didn't close that loophole completely.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    The backup file automatically created before the update should be uncorrupted and available to restore.
This discussion has been closed.