Problems with Constant Crashing

System
System Member admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Problem with constant crashing.

Comments

• Starman238
    Starman238 Member ✭✭
    I get repeated crashes. Send out the error reports that are prompted after the restart. I've restored from backup. I've uninstalled and reinstalled. Hell, I've uninstalled and reinstalled to a new drive. The only thing I haven't done (yet) is reinstall windows. I've validated, super validated. Now it's just flat failing without any prompts for error logs. The Quicken program just closes. I'm quite sure that it'll start failing with prompts to send error logs again.
  • Starman238
    Starman238 Member ✭✭
    But I haven't tried this "Cache" folder until just now. So it's running; just hasn't had a chance to crash yet. We'll have to give it time, I suppose. Hopefully I can find this thread next time it fails.
  • agentsingh
    agentsingh Member ✭✭
    My quicken also constantly keeps crashing at startup. When you run as an administrator, it does not crash; otherwise, it crashes right at login. What a fragile application!
  • MMerc
    MMerc Member ✭✭
    I have repeated crashes on both my Windows 10 Pro laptop and Windows 11 desktop. Quicken technician unable to resolve (closed case number: 10015301)- uninstalled and reinstalled quicken on laptop, other checks - said no one having the problem.. yet this thread indicates otherwise. Click on "update all", "Mobile and Web", individual account updates - many other items - all cause program to crash. Quicken Premier is now rendered useless. Really need a fix!! I've been a user since the MS-DOS days and this is the worst it has ever been (no, I am not using a massive file; archived many times to thin out it's size).
  • agentsingh
    agentsingh Member ✭✭
    > @MMerc said:
    > I have repeated crashes on both my Windows 10 Pro laptop and Windows 11 desktop. Quicken technician unable to resolve (closed case number: 10015301)- uninstalled and reinstalled quicken on laptop, other checks - said no one having the problem.. yet this thread indicates otherwise. Click on "update all", "Mobile and Web", individual account updates - many other items - all cause program to crash. Quicken Premier is now rendered useless. Really need a fix!! I've been a user since the MS-DOS days and this is the worst it has ever been (no, I am not using a massive file; archived many times to thin out it's size).

I agree. I just started using this application last year and having such a terrible experience. Quicken asked me to call Microsoft. I'm on Quicken Premier. For past 4 weeks, it has been crashing right when I start.
  • Starman238
    Starman238 Member ✭✭
    So it just crashed again. At this moment I was trying to do a file export. Other times it's just a bank update or sometimes just switching to a different account.
  • Starman238
    Starman238 Member ✭✭
    @MMerc I feel for you. It seems like you and I are experiencing the same problems.
  • jeffwtx
    jeffwtx Member
    Everytime I click update now, my quicken crashes and I have to restart. I tried to download the latest release R47.11 because it said it fixes a syncing/downloading issue with Chase Bank (which is my bank). However, I downloaded the release file and tried to install it, but got an error message "The request is not supported". So I uninstalled quicken and downloaded it again. Tried to reinstall but got a new error message "The request is not supported". Very disappointed with quicken right now. I thought about upgrading to Windows 11 on my laptop, but sounds like that won't solve anything either. Very frustrated. Looks like I'll be shopping around for a new product soon if this doesn't get resolved.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please read the last comment in https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20336539#Comment_20336539
    Could this user's solution apply to your problem, too?

• MMerc
    MMerc Member ✭✭
    @UKR appreciate the share - my Quicken file does reside on OneDrive. I moved it to the C drive (reinstalled Quicken Premier too). Crashing still occurs.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    MMerc said:
    @UKR appreciate the share - my Quicken file does reside on OneDrive. I moved it to the C drive (reinstalled Quicken Premier too). Crashing still occurs.
    If you're 100% certain that OneDrive does not access the active Quicken data file while Quicken is running, please do the following actions:
    • Reboot Windows.
    • Validate and Supervalidate your Quicken data file.
    • If nothing helps, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Validate and Supervalidate instructions

First save a backup file prior to performing these steps

Validate: 

1. Click File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots". If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log
    7. Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    8. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:

1. Click File
    2. Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Supervalidate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
  • Greg Semple
    Greg Semple Member ✭✭✭✭
    Why all of a sudden today, Quicken crashes over and over again. Yes I have the file on Onedrive, I'm on vacation and don't have the space on the laptop to store it. Why, why, why?
  • Greg Semple
    Greg Semple Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    MMerc said:
    If you're 100% certain that OneDrive does not access the active Quicken data file while Quicken is running, please do the following actions:
    • Reboot Windows.
    • If nothing helps, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Validate: 

1. Click File
    3. Select Validate File
    4. If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots". If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log

Super Validate:

1. Click File
    2. Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    I did all that. Moved the files to C Drive and the steps above and still crashing. This is ridiculous. It worked yesterday, why not today? I refuse to call Support. They hosed my data on 2 different occasions. I'm not doing it again. I wonder if the CEO of this company knows what is going on. I doubt it, they probably shelter him/her from this stuff. 
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    MMerc said:
    • Reboot Windows.

Validate: 

1. Click File
    3. Select Validate File
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log

Super Validate:

1. Click File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    I did all that. Moved the files to C Drive and the steps above and still crashing. This is ridiculous. It worked yesterday, why not today? I refuse to call Support. They hosed my data on 2 different occasions. I'm not doing it again. I wonder if the CEO of this company knows what is going on. I doubt it, they probably shelter him/her from this stuff. 
    Hello @Greg Semple,      

We do apologize about this problem with crashing, and the frustration it is causing. Thanks for continuing to work with us on this issue.

If you haven't already, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password
    Let us know if this seems to resolve the issue. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • MMerc
    MMerc Member ✭✭
    edited February 2023
    @Starman238 @Greg Semple @agentsingh and all the rest of you: The fixes suggested by quicken support lead to the same result: program crash.

@Quicken Jared --Tried those steps. Of course, clicking on #3 in your suggestion causes the program to crash.

My encrypted data file has always been on OneDrive. See by earlier post for Quicken case number; Quicken support technician stated only one other user appears to have the problem I was having. I also took other steps some helpful users suggested.

At wits end, and since the HDD move did not solve the issue on either my Windows 2010 laptop or Windows 2011 desktop computers, here are the steps I have taken. For the moment, this incredibly time consuming FIX appears to have solved the crashing problem:

1. Opened Quicken and created a new file
    2. Set all program preferences
    3. Confirmed no crashes by clicking through various program options
    4. Synced 4 Charles Schwab checking accounts and 5 brokerage accounts
    5. verified all data synced properly
    6. Clicked through Quicken options - no crashes
    7. Added local bank (savings and checking 3 + 1 mortgage account); confirmed all data, clicked through program options - no crashes
    8. Clicked "Cloud Sync" - no crash
    9. Confirm Quicken mobile is synced; no crash

Will repeat these steps for numerous credit cards later this evening and confirm there are no crashes.

My conclusion (for the moment): I have had a number of issues with credit card accounts failing to complete their "bill pay" and other accounts with "Fix it now" options on Quicken Premier. These unresolved issues may have contributed to the problem with the latest quicken patch. "Fix it" issues were also appearing on the mobile app for a credit card and bank that were not having issues on the program.

I would advise users to not take the latest Quicken program upgrade unless all account issues are resolved. Good luck with that.

My encrypted data file remains on OneDrive, where it has been for many years.

I will retain my old data file for extracting information when needed. BTW exporting data from the old file causes the program to crash, as it did for @Starman238
  • Lisamar
    Lisamar Member ✭✭
    I have had the same problems you describe for the past several years. It's utterly ridiculous.
  • Greg Semple
    Greg Semple Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    MMerc said:
    • Reboot Windows.

Validate: 

1. Click File
    3. Select Validate File
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log

Super Validate:

1. Click File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    Hello @Greg Semple,      

We do apologize about this problem with crashing, and the frustration it is causing. Thanks for continuing to work with us on this issue.

If you haven't already, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password
    Let us know if this seems to resolve the issue. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
    Jared,
    I tried the steps you suggested and thought for a moment it was working. Two screenshots shows what happened after I performed the steps. Anything else you can suggest?
  • Greg Semple
    Greg Semple Member ✭✭✭✭
    MMerc said:
    @Starman238 @Greg Semple @agentsingh and all the rest of you: The fixes suggested by quicken support lead to the same result: program crash.

@Quicken Jared --Tried those steps. Of course, clicking on #3 in your suggestion causes the program to crash.

My encrypted data file has always been on OneDrive. See by earlier post for Quicken case number; Quicken support technician stated only one other user appears to have the problem I was having. I also took other steps some helpful users suggested.

At wits end, and since the HDD move did not solve the issue on either my Windows 2010 laptop or Windows 2011 desktop computers, here are the steps I have taken. For the moment, this incredibly time consuming FIX appears to have solved the crashing problem:

1. Opened Quicken and created a new file
    2. Set all program preferences
    3. Confirmed no crashes by clicking through various program options
    4. Synced 4 Charles Schwab checking accounts and 5 brokerage accounts
    5. verified all data synced properly
    6. Clicked through Quicken options - no crashes
    7. Added local bank (savings and checking 3 + 1 mortgage account); confirmed all data, clicked through program options - no crashes
    8. Clicked "Cloud Sync" - no crash
    9. Confirm Quicken mobile is synced; no crash

Will repeat these steps for numerous credit cards later this evening and confirm there are no crashes.

My conclusion (for the moment): I have had a number of issues with credit card accounts failing to complete their "bill pay" and other accounts with "Fix it now" options on Quicken Premier. These unresolved issues may have contributed to the problem with the latest quicken patch. "Fix it" issues were also appearing on the mobile app for a credit card and bank that were not having issues on the program.

I would advise users to not take the latest Quicken program upgrade unless all account issues are resolved. Good luck with that.

My encrypted data file remains on OneDrive, where it has been for many years.

I will retain my old data file for extracting information when needed. BTW exporting data from the old file causes the program to crash, as it did for @Starman238
    Kudos to you. You are right, that is very time consuming and at this time more than I want to take on. I was hoping that Day 2 the problem would pass, self healing, right. I tried moving everything off Onedrive, validated and logged out/logged in. No change. 

The solution is clueless and if support has me do what you are suggesting, well then, I guess it's time to find another product. 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When OSU, after several minutes of heavy thinking in the "Procesing data" phase switches to "Downloading Transactions", Windows Task Manager should show the Quicken task actually receiving data over the network (the Network field for the Quicken task should show a number of xMbps (e.g., 0.1Mbps) alternating in rhythm with 0Mbps.) It will take several minutes until complete, because you have quite a number of bank accounts connected using Express Web Connect.
    After how many minutes of "Downloading ..." did you start to panic?
    Instead of killing Quicken with the Task Manager it might be better to wait until the network connection times out after 30 minutes. This allows Quicken to finish the OSU process with an error message and proceed. (This recently happened to me while downloading my transactions. The connection to my local Credit Union hung up. Running another OSU the next day completed normal, within 2-3 minutes)
  • Greg Semple
    Greg Semple Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    When OSU, after several minutes of heavy thinking in the "Procesing data" phase switches to "Downloading Transactions", Windows Task Manager should show the Quicken task actually receiving data over the network (the Network field for the Quicken task should show a number of xMbps (e.g., 0.1Mbps) alternating in rhythm with 0Mbps.) It will take several minutes until complete, because you have quite a number of bank accounts connected using Express Web Connect.
    After how many minutes of "Downloading ..." did you start to panic?
    Instead of killing Quicken with the Task Manager it might be better to wait until the network connection times out after 30 minutes. This allows Quicken to finish the OSU process with an error message and proceed. (This recently happened to me while downloading my transactions. The connection to my local Credit Union hung up. Running another OSU the next day completed normal, within 2-3 minutes)
    I reran OSU and waited and didn't "panic" this time. It ran for about 12 minutes "Processing Data" then I got the message at the top of the box saying "Not Responding". No change. 

So how did you know the CU was hanging up the connection? I've deselected some of my accounts to see if I could find the same thing, but it continued to hang up. 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So how did you know the CU was hanging up the connection? ...
    The CU was "hanging", i.e., not responding to IP network traffic or a data packet got lost in the shuffle causing a never-ending wait.
    After 30 minutes the IP session time out and gave me an error CC-501 for the CU.
    When you reran OSU and it gave you the "Not responding" from Windows, did you wait 30 minutes or did you kill Quicken again?
    While in "Not responding" mode, did you look at Task Manager? Did the Quicken task use CPU cycles (CPU% >0) or show signs of network traffic (xMbps >0)?
  • Greg Semple
    Greg Semple Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    When you reran OSU and it gave you the "Not responding" from Windows, did you wait 30 minutes or did you kill Quicken again?
    While in "Not responding" mode, did you look at Task Manager? Did the Quicken task use CPU cycles (CPU% >0) or show signs of network traffic (xMbps >0)?
    When I reran OSU Windows gave me the "Not Responding" after 12 minutes. No I didn't check Task Manager, but next time I will and post the results. 
  • Greg Semple
    Greg Semple Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:

Reran OSU, when Windows gave me the "Not responding" Task Manager showed CPU% GT 20% and Network was 0%. So does that reveal anything to you?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reran OSU, when Windows gave me the "Not responding" Task Manager showed CPU% GT 20% and Network was 0%. So does that reveal anything to you?
    If Network was 0% all the time, this might indicate a programmed loop, Quicken waiting for a server response ... which doesn't appear to happen.
    Did you wait for 30 minutes, to see if Quicken would timeout on the wait for a response and proceed with OSU? This might tell you which bank it was having problems with.

• Greg Semple
    Greg Semple Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    If Network was 0% all the time, this might indicate a programmed loop, Quicken waiting for a server response ... which doesn't appear to happen.
    Did you wait for 30 minutes, to see if Quicken would timeout on the wait for a response and proceed with OSU? This might tell you which bank it was having problems with.

When OSU first started there was network activity. My investment account seems to be first and always completes, even when the other bank accounts get hung up. 

The network activity goes to 0% when I get Windows not responding. No other account completes, just the investment account.

So no, I didn't wait 30 minutes because I expected nothing else to happen when Windows stopped responding. 

Are you saying I should wait a full 30 minutes even though Windows stopped responding?
  • MMerc
    MMerc Member ✭✭
    Being an original Quicken user (perhaps before some support folks were born) I've wrestled with many issues. Current crashing issue being the worst of them. Although my data file was not extremely large, I decided my file had gone through enough changes in technology and was beyond repair. File scrubs a waste of time, as was Quicken support. Some really gave it their best shot. I was sure the problem was not Windows as Quicken was crashing on different versions and computers. Latest bank and credit card security improvements appeared to be the cause of more "not responding" hangs and the eventual final blow of crashing on almost every click.

Just completed the painful creation of a new data file: new bank and brokerage connections, etc, with all accounts now syncing without issue. Being a moderate pessimist thanks to Quicken, I am at least happy to say Quicken Premier feels brand new. I've lost a lot of data since my old file crashes if I try to export, but I was able to pull down over 365 days with most accounts in their new connections with no issues. The mobile and web sync are working across the board for the first time. Sadly, categories need to be recreated, etc, but I am at least back in the saddle, especially with brokerage trades through Schwab accounts. I can still open my old data file if I need to look for something, as well as archived files.

This has cost me a boatload of time. I will be watchful for a better alternative to Quicken.
This discussion has been closed.