Quicken Web vs Mobile app

John_M
John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2023 in Using the Mobile App
I am a longtime Quicken user – first Windows and then Mac for about the past 30 years. I have started tracking finances for an elderly parent, so I would like to have access to that Quicken file when I go visit her. Because my Quicken file is on a desktop, I would like to be able to use my iPad when traveling. 

I’ve been unable to find out what the differences are between Quicken Web and the iOS mobile app. Does one do more than another? Other than reading that I can add transactions on the mobile app without being online, I can’t see what makes one different from the other. Can they both access all of the same account types on Quicken desktop?

I’m also considering Simplifi, but from what I understand, I don’t think it has the same capabilities as Quicken, and I’d have to maintain two data files in that case. 

Thanks for any suggestions. 

Comments

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Simplifi cannot import Quicken data, which seems short sighted to me - maybe a future feature, but for now Simplifi seems geared towards fresh users.

Quicken Web and Mobile apps access the same cloud data.  It is not a substitute for your desktop data file / app.  Do note that you can have as many data files as you'd like, so I'd recommend NOT merging your parent's accounts into your file (what a mess to do reports or anything then), but create a fresh Quicken (Mac or Windows) file just for their stuff.  It will have its own cloud account.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @MontanaKarl

That's why I wasn't seriously considering Simplifi, and I already maintain separate data files for me and my parents. My question really is whether or not there is a difference between the Quicken Web and the Mobile App. Is there any reason to choose one over the other (in addition to being able to use the mobile app without an Internet connection)? Do they do the same things? Is one more stable than the other? Will one mess up my desktop file less than the other (I've read about all sorts of Cloud sync issues – maybe they've been fixed).

I'd be appreciative to hear from anyone who has tried both ways.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, you start with your desktop Quicken file - Enable Cloud Sync & select which accounts are to be avail on the Cloud.
    After this - The Quicken Cloud will make that data avail to BOTH the Quicken Mobile App and any browser via Quicken Web.
    In addition, the Cloud can act as your proxy and access your financial accounts to download and make avail current info.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Ps56k2 That is helpful information. However, I'm still not sure what the difference is between using the Mobile Web and Quicken Web. Is there any advantage of one over the other or are they identical from a functional perspective?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    John_M said:  I'm still not sure what the difference is between using the Mobile Web and Quicken Web.
    Then I suggest - create a NEW Quicken QDF data file - and ADD some of your accounts as a Test -
    Walk thru the Enable Sync, select those Accounts -
    and then play with the Quicken Mobile App and the Quicken on the Web browser access,
    and then you can see what things you might like, or not - for each of them -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    I can do that. I was just hoping that someone had already done this and that I could benefit from their experience.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, not specific to Quicken - I tend to like using my financial Apps vs a browser window… as the App usually has distilled the info I am looking for, while the browser portal has extra window dressing to make it look prettier. 
    Lastly - I am not using the Quicken App or Web - as we have seen too many stories of Quicken file corruption due to the Syncing… 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have done some minor testing on them over the years (with a test only data file) and it use to seem like the Web interface had more functionality, but I just jumped on them, and from what I can tell from just a quick look they are now about the same.  I would certainly say at this point you would use the one that you find more convenient for your use case.  And note that since they are both sharing the same dataset on the server/Quicken Cloud dataset there isn't any that stops one from using both.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    I use them both, fairly heavily. For the most part, they offer the same feature set, but the web app is more fleshed out in my opinion. It offers more information on the dashboard, is more customizable, is easier to navigate in my opinion. You can also do things like reconciling on the web, which you can’t do in the mobile app. If I had to pick one, I would definitely pick the web app. Hopefully that helps. 
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As @Austin@ mentioned, the Web might be more robust in features… since it has the power of an entire server farm to handle tasks… 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Ps56k2 said:
    As @Austin@ mentioned, the Web might be more robust in features… since it has the power of an entire server farm to handle tasks… 
    Actually, I think it has more to do with screen space and the fact that it doesn't have touch, and maybe just how much development time has been put into each of them.

That is something that people don't get when they ask for a full feature Quicken on mobile.  Sure, if you are on an iPad, you have the screen space, but when setting up GUI for mobile you have to always assume that it will be used on a phone.  Then throw in that everything has to be big enough for someone to touch with their finger and that makes it really hard to develop a complicated application that isn't constantly switch windows.

When you consider the fact that both are really just GUIs for the most part, and the data processing is done on the server, that aspect is going to be the same.  I remember at one point the Mobile App was a bit slow logging in and such, but nothing too bad, and least with my new phone it seems to have good performance.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone's comments. After having played with both the past few days, I have to agree that the web version is a little more robust. It is more customizable, has a nice calendar view, and is able to report on more things (e.g., filtering payees is available on the web version but not the app).

It's going to do the job that I need it to do. Not sure if I want to start reconciling and entering data yet on the web. Maybe I'll get brave and see what happens.
This discussion has been closed.