Disappearing memo text

LRM777
LRM777 Member ✭✭
I've seen a couple posts similar to this but not exactly the same. In a recent update, some change or bug was introduced that results in losing the memo field you type in immediately after tabbing to the next field in the register. Reproducible simply by clicking on a downloaded transaction, type something in the memo field, tab to or click to the next field, and memo text is immediately erased. Hope this is known and being addressed soon.

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. However, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem within your Quicken programand submit a problem report with log files and screenshots attached in order to contribute to the investigation. While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

(CTP-6412)

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    LRM777 said:
    I've seen a couple posts similar to this but not exactly the same. In a recent update, some change or bug was introduced that results in losing the memo field you type in immediately after tabbing to the next field in the register. Reproducible simply by clicking on a downloaded transaction, type something in the memo field, tab to or click to the next field, and memo text is immediately erased. Hope this is known and being addressed soon.
    Hello @LRM777,  

We are sorry about this issue with disappearing Memo field information. Thank you for alerting us to this problem here on the Quicken Community. 

Unfortunately, we were not able to reproduce this behavior internally. When did this begin? Have you tried restoring from a recent backup? We recommend saving backups frequently by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Provided that this has been done often, you should be able to restore from a backup that was saved just prior to when this issue emerged by navigating to File > Restore from backup... in the same menu. I am curious about whether or not this problem continues in the restored file.  
    Let us know how this works.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared
  • auga
    auga Member ✭✭
    I'm having the exact same issue.

In my experience, it occurs after I download transactions from my bank and attempt to enter added details to the memo field of the downloaded transactions. After I finish typing the details into the downloaded transaction's memo field and hit TAB to move to the next field the memo field details disappear. If I go back a type the details into the memo field a second time and then tab again the details remain.

My problem seems to have started in ~December 2022. I'm using Quicken on Windows 11. Version R47.15.

I hope my extra details help to reproduce the problem at Quicken's Support.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm having the exact same issue. I type a memo, then hit tab to select a category, and the memo text has disappeared.
    Is your account register set so the Memo field is to the left of the Category field? Also, is the register set to display transactions in one line or two lines?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• auga
    auga Member ✭✭
    > @mshiggins said:
    > Is your account register set so the Memo field is to the left of the Category field? Also, is the register set to display transactions in one line or two lines?

My memo field is to the left of the Category field. My register is set to display transactions in two lines.
  • Tigressa7
    Tigressa7 Member ✭✭
    Same issue here, and same as Auga (above). It happens when I'm entering additional information into a downloaded transaction and utilizing the tab key to move between items in the entry. Every single time. My register is mostly not customized other than I use a 2-line register and I don't use the "Amount" column. This began after the last update. Current version R47.15 Build 27.1.47.15. Using Windows 11 Enterprise.
  • mshiggins
    auga said:
    > @mshiggins said:
    > Is your account register set so the Memo field is to the left of the Category field? Also, is the register set to display transactions in one line or two lines?

My memo field is to the left of the Category field. My register is set to display transactions in two lines.
    What happens if you try switching the Memo to the right of the Category field? Is the disappearing memo still an issue? 

• Lavendy
    Lavendy Member ✭✭
    I am having the same issue as well. I type text in the Memo field and hit enter or Ctrl Enter to save the transaction, and the text in the Memo field completely disappears. I have the Memo field to the right of the Category field. I am able to come back to the transaction and type the memo text in again and hit Enter or Ctrl Enter to save the transaction, and the text stays there. This has never happened before. I just noticed it happening for the first time today, 2/18/23. I certainly hope it gets fixed soon, because it's crazy to have to type everything twice.
  • mshiggins
    Lavendy said:
    I am having the same issue as well. I type text in the Memo field and hit enter or Ctrl Enter to save the transaction, and the text in the Memo field completely disappears. I have the Memo field to the right of the Category field. I am able to come back to the transaction and type the memo text in again and hit Enter or Ctrl Enter to save the transaction, and the text stays there. This has never happened before. I just noticed it happening for the first time today, 2/18/23. I certainly hope it gets fixed soon, because it's crazy to have to type everything twice.
    Thanks for confirming the issue occurs for both position options of the Memo field. 

• Pedro504
    Pedro504 Member ✭✭✭
    I'm having the same issue using one line display and memo to right or left of category.

You Don't Have to Have a Point, To Have A Point

• Pedro504
    Pedro504 Member ✭✭✭
    Here's a repeatable use case: for newly downloaded transactions only, when first assigning a category and before they are accepted, I enter a memo text then when i tab out of the field the memo text disappears.

• I'm having the same issue. I contacted support via chat about this a month ago. It started for me around December 2022, as someone else mentioned. I shared my screen with the support tech and demonstrated the issue. We weren't quite finished when he said he was out of time and had to leave the chat. After that, I received an email saying my support ticket (9975510) had been closed.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. However, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem within your Quicken programand submit a problem report with log files and screenshots attached in order to contribute to the investigation. While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

(CTP-6412)

-Quicken Anja

• same issue. so annoying
  • Jeff8@
    Jeff8@ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Same Problem. Just installed latest update hoping that would fix it, but problem still there. I have discovered that if I click on the memo field and enter it - it will disappear, but if I tab to the memo field it sticks. Also - only happens in one of my accounts.
  • TexMike
    TexMike Member ✭✭✭
    Add me. I have had the disappearing memo text issue for about two months. When a memorized payee is a match with a downloaded transaction, the memo field that is in the memorized payee details, does not populate the memo field in the register when I tab to that field. I did send "report a problem". Very frustrating.
  • Bubba O
    Bubba O Member
    I'll Add My "Me Too". As noted by others, started happening a few months ago. Happens on downloaded but not yet accepted or saved transactions. I changed my preferences to "Enter" between fields and even though I also said Warn and do not save uncategorized transactions, entering simply saved the transaction instead of moving between fields and did not warn. Seems multiple bugs in last release.
  • davsamsc
    davsamsc Member
    I am having the same issue. It sounds like Quicken does not want to address the issue
  • colive
    colive Member ✭✭
    I also have this issue. Memo field disappears when I save transaction. Hoping an update fixes this bug.
  • dtso811
    dtso811 Member

I am having the same issue. My memo column is to the left of the category field. When I am updating Quicken after running One Step Update, I fill out the memo field with each transaction downloaded. When I tab to category, the memo information disappears and I have to save it again. I've even tried hitting the save icon before moving to the next entry and the memo disappears and has to be enter again. I believe this started with the last Quicken update, but I'm not sure. I just got tired of waiting for an update and found this forum. It seems like a lot of people are having this issue. Is it being addressed?

• colive
    colive Member ✭✭
    Same problem which is frustrating. A little different--I always enter memo last and save transaction--the just entered memo disappears. When I go back and re-enter the memo and save, the memo remains. My inconvenient workaround is to save transaction and then go back to enter memo.
  • UlyssesPM
    UlyssesPM Member ✭✭

Very boring to repeat ad nauseam what everyone else is saying; disappears on first attempt at filling fields for newly downloaded transaction, have to go back and re-enter>save and it stays.

What is even more boring is that the Quicken team responses seem more concerned with the issue-reporting process, than saying "eeek … we'll get on this straight away …"

• Tominator
    Tominator Member ✭✭
    Confirm same issue for me in both 2-row and single row. It's annoying. I have taken to typing 1 character in the field the tabbing over and back to fill in the Memo.
  • Lavendy
    Lavendy Member ✭✭

Tabbing over would save the transaction and then you tab back to fill it in?

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin

Hi All, Can you please try the R48 patch? This issue should be resolved in this update. Thanks!

-Quicken Janean

Quicken Janean

• Pedro504
    Pedro504 Member ✭✭✭
    For myself it is NOT resolved for all accounts on version R48.9 build 27.1.48.9
    On a new credit card transaction downloaded today I typed the memo and then pressed the Tab Key - the memo text disappeared.
    On a new checking account transaction downloaded today I typed the memo and then pressed the ENTER KEY - the memo text updated correctly.

• falcon2000
    falcon2000 Member

Same issue. Enter memo, tab over to category and the memo dissappears. I am on the current update R48.9 build 27.1.48.9 also. If I go back and retype the memo it will stay. I don't want to have to enter it twice. Please fix.

• chargedbird
    chargedbird Member ✭✭

Same issue. With R48.9 installed memo disapperars when doing one step update. This happens will all accouts.

• Wanda2023
    Wanda2023 Member

Updated to R48.15. Did not have this problem until this update. Quicken Deluxe subscription.

This discussion has been closed.