Error after American Express Connection Migration

I just completed a one-step update in Quicken and during the update I had to reset my login to my American Express accounts due to the updated login process. I completed the update and the transactions downloaded. I immediately noticed a glitch in my American Express credit card transaction register. It effected all 3400 transactions from the time I opened the account. Each transaction is correct, meaning the transaction amount in the “Charge”, “Payment” and “Amount” columns are all correct but the effect of the “Payment” and “Amount” columns are all reversed from what they should be. Now a charge causes the Balance to decrease while a payment causes the balance to increase. As far as I can tell, it is only the one account that has been impacted. How do I fix this problem?

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Steve2253 said:
    I looked at it again and it looks like the problem was that the balance was showing positive when it should have been negative. The "Online Balance" at the bottom of the register was correct (negative) but the "Ending Balance" was the same number but was positive. Thankfully my most recent backup was from earlier the same day so I restored the backup and everything was back to normal.
    I'm glad restoring that backup file resolved the issue for you. 
    FYI: I suspect that the file with the error was due to the Opening Balance transaction having been changed and/or some duplicate transactions being downloaded and entered into the register during the update.  This has been an intermittent problem with version updates for about a year now.  This was supposedly fixed in a version update a while back but it still happens once in a while.  What I have done and what I suggest others do for each account is to enter the dollar amount of the Opening Balance transaction into that transaction's memo field.  By doing this it becomes an easy check to see if the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount was changed and, if so, to easily fix it.  You might want to consider doing that, too.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    When you say that "a charge causes the Balance to decrease" is the Balance a positive number or a negative number?
    Are the transactions in the correct date order?  Click on the Date column header to change the date order.

• I looked at it again and it looks like the problem was that the balance was showing positive when it should have been negative. The "Online Balance" at the bottom of the register was correct (negative) but the "Ending Balance" was the same number but was positive. Thankfully my most recent backup was from earlier the same day so I restored the backup and everything was back to normal.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Steve2253 said:
    I looked at it again and it looks like the problem was that the balance was showing positive when it should have been negative. The "Online Balance" at the bottom of the register was correct (negative) but the "Ending Balance" was the same number but was positive. Thankfully my most recent backup was from earlier the same day so I restored the backup and everything was back to normal.
    I'm glad restoring that backup file resolved the issue for you. 
    FYI: I suspect that the file with the error was due to the Opening Balance transaction having been changed and/or some duplicate transactions being downloaded and entered into the register during the update.  This has been an intermittent problem with version updates for about a year now.  This was supposedly fixed in a version update a while back but it still happens once in a while.  What I have done and what I suggest others do for each account is to enter the dollar amount of the Opening Balance transaction into that transaction's memo field.  By doing this it becomes an easy check to see if the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount was changed and, if so, to easily fix it.  You might want to consider doing that, too.

• Thanks. I took your advice and entered the opening balance in the memo field in case this happens again.
This discussion has been closed.