Quicken for Mac Question

tbf47
tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2023 in Before you Buy
Has Quicken for Mac been improved to perform as well as the Windows version?  I tried it a few years ago.  The software architecture and function flow was not even close.  My problem is Quicken for Windows is deteriorating.  I am beginning to look for alternatives.  

Windows 10 * Quicken Premier user.

Quicken user since 198x something. Started with Quicken for DOS 5.X

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Not sure how you could even know what software architecture each uses, or what you mean by function flow.  I find QMac remarkably more responsive and robust that QWin, and way more powerful as we can have multiple registers open in floating windows along with reports etc, something impossible in QWin.

That said, QMac is lacking more than a few of the features present in QWin.  That feature gap is the usual reason people choose one over the other (when they have both operating systems as an option).

If you are on subscription, both QWin and QMac are included in your subscription... so just download the Mac version and give it a try?  The different UI will take a little getting used to.  If at all tempted after playing, convert your Windows QDF and run both in parallel for a while.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate the suggestion.  I thought you had to choose one or the other.   I may do that. How much internet connectivity are we using outside transaction updates and or software updates?   See, I am being to think that the performance degradation I am experiencing is due to Quicken network issues.  

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    [Removed - No Solicitation]

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @tbf47. First, I'd note that and of the regular posters (particularly "Super Users" and Beta testers) here are likely using Quicken and not an alternative program, so we're not the best to talk about other options.

Second, as this is Quicken's forum, they don't allow discussion of alternatives to Quicken here. ;) 

Because we all use Quicken differently, and use different features in Quicken, it's impossible for anyone to tell you how well Quicken Mac will fit your needs. @MontanaKarl is a longtime Quicken Widows user who recently switched to Quicken Mac, so his thoughts are certainly up-to-date about the differences between the two platforms — but his experiences and opinions may or may not accurately forecast yours. That's why his suggestion to give Quicken Mac a try is what I always recommend to people considering switching. Many people love Quicken Mac. Some find it good enough, even though they are frustrated with some features missing from Quicken Windows. And some find one or more missing features mission-critical and therefore find Quicken Mac not suited for their needs. If you have access to a Mac, then trying it for yourself will let you answer your own questions. One caveat: don't expect it to work exactly like Quicken Windows, or you will be frustrated and disappointed; give yourself some time to work your way up the learning curve of Quicken Mac's interface and functionality.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    tbf47 said:
    I appreciate the suggestion.  I thought you had to choose one or the other.   I may do that. How much internet connectivity are we using outside transaction updates and or software updates?   See, I am being to think that the performance degradation I am experiencing is due to Quicken network issues.  

I'm not aware of any internet usage in either QWin or QMac other than software updates and transaction downloads.  I don't want to side track this "Before you Buy" forum with a diagnosis of your QWin issues. It looks like I already responded to you in your Windows troubleshooting thread here:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7928275/very-slow-launch-very-slow-quicken-processes#latest

It seems you found an issue on one computer, as it ran OK on another (which seemed grossly underpowered).  But, anyway, please continue to pursue your question about your file performance in that other thread  :smile:

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @jacobs
    is there a "summary" feature comparative between QMac and QWin?  My frustration is I have been a loyal daily user of Quicken since DOS days. I appreciate your feedback.   I do plan to test Q for Mac again.  Thanks 

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    tbf47 said:
    is there a "summary" feature comparative between QMac and QWin?  My frustration is I have been a loyal daily user of Quicken since DOS days. I appreciate your feedback.   I do plan to test Q for Mac again.  Thanks 
    Many of us here have been using Quicken, DOS/Windows and or Mac, for 2 or 3 decades. :) And yes, there's a feature comparison page on the Quicken website:

https://www.quicken.com/product-selector/reverse-nst

It's only skin deep, as it can't go into every feature in depth.

Worse, you have to carefully look at the asterisks, where the tiny footnote reveals that a single * means Windows only and a double ** means Mac only. And even worse, there are errors with some of the items either having an asterisk incorrectly or missing an asterisk. I've pointed out half a dozen of the errors to Quicken multiple times, and the moderators here have tried to pass the info to their website or marketing teams multiple times, but they have never fixed them. Sigh. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.