Blue check mark appears when transaction entered (Q Mac)

I don't know when I noticed this first started happening. When I enter a transaction in the register and hit "return" to enter it a blue check mark appears in the status column. Then I have to click the check mark to go away until the transaction clears the bank. This doesn't happen 100% of the time, but probably 80%.

Is there a setting responsible for this? How do I stop the blue check from appearing until the transaction is cleared?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Here's my guess: when you're entering the transaction, you're selecting or allowing Quicken to used a saved QuickFill rule — and that QuickFill rule happens to have the checkbox for "Mark as Cleared" checked. Go to Window > Payees & Rules, click on the QuickFill Rules tab, and locate the Payee which had a blue checkmark. Double-click the rule, or click the Pencil icon, to open it for editing, and uncheck to "Mark as Cleared" checkbox. Re-save the rule, and there will be no blue check mark in the Clr column next time you enter that Payee. If this happens with multiple Payees, you may have to edit additional Payees to get this set correctly, but then it won't bother you going forward.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2023
    Are you sure you're talking about the Status column, the one with a black dot at the top? Or are you talking about the Clr column? There is no blue checkmark in the Status column. A blue checkmark in the Clr column indicates that the transaction has cleared the bank. 

In any case, see @jacobs reply below for a likely explanation.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Here's my guess: when you're entering the transaction, you're selecting or allowing Quicken to used a saved QuickFill rule — and that QuickFill rule happens to have the checkbox for "Mark as Cleared" checked. Go to Window > Payees & Rules, click on the QuickFill Rules tab, and locate the Payee which had a blue checkmark. Double-click the rule, or click the Pencil icon, to open it for editing, and uncheck to "Mark as Cleared" checkbox. Re-save the rule, and there will be no blue check mark in the Clr column next time you enter that Payee. If this happens with multiple Payees, you may have to edit additional Payees to get this set correctly, but then it won't bother you going forward.
  • RickO
    @jacobs Good catch. I had totally forgotten that QuickFill rules have that option, I suppose because I never could see a use case for it.
  • dogsnbeaches
    dogsnbeaches Member ✭✭
    Jacobs, you nailed it! I use quickfill ALL the time. I am familiar with editing quickfill rules, but never even knew there was an option for the blue check as a rule. That explains why it happens with some payees and not others. Kudos!!! and thank you :-)
  • jacobs
    @dogsnbeaches Glad that was the correct fix. Like @RickO, I'm not sure I see a use for having QuickFill rules which create auto-cleared transactions, but I guess it must be useful to some users. 
  • RickO
    I thought of a use case (not one that I'd ever use). Suppose you have a manual petty cash account that you periodically reconcile against the actual cash in your wallet. The fact that you enter a transaction means that it's "cleared" since there's no bank connected that actually clears the account. When you reconcile, it would be handy to have all the transactions marked as cleared so you don't have to go thru and do it manually.
  • jacobs
    I have petty cash accounts for myself and my wife in our Quicken file. Periodically, I count the cash in my wallet, then click Reconcile in Quicken, and reconcile the transactions there — including making an adjustment for when the actual cash on hand doesn't match what I've entered in Quicken. It's useful for me to reconcile periodically, because it leaves behind a marker to tell me, "well, you had everything entered up through this date"; if my current reconciliation is off and I'm trying to recall where else I spent cash that I didn't enter in Quicken, I know the time period in which the missing spending occurred. In the Reconcile window, I can clear and reconcile every transaction with the click of one button — no need to make them individually as cleared — so I'm not sure I see any advantage to having some of them marked as cleared. 
This discussion has been closed.