Problem with Validate Quicken Data File

I am in the habit of running a Validate file every Saturday to try and detect any errors that might have occurred during the week. For the past 3 weeks when I do that, the Validation process starts, and then I get an error "Error opening data file". If I close Quicken the data file has a _0 appended to the name of the file, and the file cannot be opened. Is anyone else seeing this issue?

Best Answer

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you can use Windows File Explorer to rename and then just double click the file to open.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
  • The file is located at C:\Documents\Quicken\SEEDCOPYCpyNEW2023.QDF. I don't use Windows Defender, OneDrive, Dropbox, or Google Backup.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Quicken sometimes has trouble with filenames over 8 characters. I would suggest shortening the name to 8 or less characters and then running validate.
  • I will try that and let you know. Thanks for the help much appreciated.
  • Question, can this be done within File Explorer or does it have to be done within Quicken, and if so, where within quicken?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you can use Windows File Explorer to rename and then just double click the file to open.
  • Greg, Thanks so much, the change of the file name seems to have resolved the issue. Validation acted normally, and the file saved properly. Reopens when I open quicken.
    All the best!
This discussion has been closed.