Bond purchase shows a realized loss.

Options
malleries
malleries Member ✭✭
Bond purchases show as a loss in reports and I can't recategorize it. Does anyone have suggestions on how to change it. Thank you

Comments

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Was this an individual bond or a bond mutual fund?

Did you enter the purchase manually or did it download from the brokerage?

Which report specifically are you looking at?

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Jon
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Also, if you bought the bond today there could be a mismatch between what's in your brokerage account register in Quicken and the portfolio Quicken is getting from your broker, and that can sometimes cause unusual things to happen in Quicken. If that's the case, see if things look better tomorrow - your brokerage account will update overnight.

Nevermind, I just remembered the markets are closed today.

• Jon
    Options
    And thirdly, did you really want your email address to be your user ID? If not, ask one of the mods to change it for you.

• malleries
    malleries Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Jon said:
    > Was this an individual bond or a bond mutual fund?
    >
    > Did you enter the purchase manually or did it download from the brokerage?
    >
    > Which report specifically are you looking at?

Hello, I downloaded it. The report is Category Summary by Month, Realized Gain/Loss. It shows up as a lost after maturity. Thanks
  • Jon
    Options
    Double check the purchase & selling price to make sure both are correct. Quicken apparently thinks you sold the bond for less than the purchase price; if that wasn't the case then one of those prices must be wrong.

• malleries
    malleries Member ✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Yes, the purchase and selling price are correct. Here is what happens (Schwab).

Purchase: The purchase price is displayed under realized gain/loss category as a negative number. Quicken will not allow me to change the category.

Matured/Sold: The return of capital purchase price is displayed under income. The interest is a separate transaction.
This discussion has been closed.