How do you "quote" a user's post?

syncrasy
syncrasy Member ✭✭✭
I'd like to create a proper block quote (i.e., indented text within a gray box) when replying to a user. I've seen this in other posts, but when I click "Quote" the forum text editor copies the entire post and simply sticks in a ">" symbol in front of the text. Is there special markup code to specify a block quote? If not, what's the trick?

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    syncrasy said:
    I'd like to create a proper block quote (i.e., indented text within a gray box) when replying to a user. I've seen this in other posts, but when I click "Quote" the forum text editor copies the entire post and simply sticks in a ">" symbol in front of the text. Is there special markup code to specify a block quote? If not, what's the trick?
    For whatever reason, this forum is set up to incrementally grant privileges to users based on their amount of time and participation here.
    I don't know why you can't block quote. You probably also don't see the "toggle HTML view" button which looks like </>.  If you somehow do see that toggle, the HTML you would use is <blockquote class="Quote">...</blockquote>. Otherwise, you'll just have to earn points on the forum to get more abilities.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• syncrasy
    syncrasy Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks. You are correct. I don't see the "toggle HTML view" button. If the forum manager is withholding basic tools from users, for whatever reason, the logic escapes me. I would hope they reconsider that decision.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited February 2023
    syncrasy said:
    If the forum manager is withholding basic tools from users, for whatever reason, the logic escapes me.
    The logic escapes me, too, but I don't think it's the decision of anyone at Quicken. This forum is based on "Vanilla", a 3rd party application. All changes have to be petitioned to Vanilla and they're not very responsive.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2023

@jacobs and @"Rocket J Squirrel" - Can you imagine why the system (Vanilla) would have taken away my ability to format my posts and to do editable block quotes? I've had the full ribbon for posting until about 2 days ago… and now am unable to edit a quote down to just the sentence I'm responding to… much less use HTML etc as I have for over a year.

Which Quicken moderator do I contact about this? It sounds like both of you still have the full editing feature set like I used to…

Thanks!

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• Rocket J Squirrel

No, @MontanaKarl, the editor has changed for all of us. There are some commands hidden under the paragraph mark on the left. You can format your text by first selecting it and a format menu pops up. Everything that used to be visible is now hidden or gone. Not a usability improvement.

None of us can edit blockquotes any more, either. The tedious workaround is to copy & paste, then change the pasted text into a quote.

This isn't the fault of the Community admins. Vanilla stopped supporting the old editor, so there was little choice in the matter.

• MontanaKarl

Thanks @"Rocket J Squirrel" What a shame, but I guess I'm glad it's not just me.

• MontanaKarl

Hmmm. The @names in my previous posts here no longer turn into links to profiles. Is there a new trick for that?

• Rocket J Squirrel

Well, @Rocket J Squirrel appeared as I typed. Looks like you have to omit the previously required quotes and let Vanilla complete the name.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2023

The only trick to @ names is that the “@” cannot be the very first character in your post. If you want to start your post with another user's name you have to type a space then the “@” symbol; after you've successfully inserted the username you can go back & remove the leading space.

Edit: At least that's how it was working for me earlier this weekend. I just tried again now & it worked without the leading space, so ???

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

This discussion has been closed.