Tax Summary report: Reflecting incorrect Tax Line Item vs. Category List Tax Line Item

Roe_
Roe_ Member
edited March 2023 in Reports (Windows)
Hello -
I updated the Tax Line Item (Schedule E: Legal & Prof. Fees) for a Category via the Category List. However, when running the Tax Summary report it is showing (Schedule E: Unspecified Rental Expense). I entered a new transaction and it still shows the wrong Tax Line Item even though the Category List is reflecting the correct Tax Line Item.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Another thing to try is to eyeball your entire category list, including hidden categories. Some folks have reported corruption in that list which caused problems. It manifests as an oddball category, often with a name like ACCT_2345. That bogus category can safely be deleted.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• jam l
    jam l Member ✭✭
    ....frustrating here too. Thought I saw an earlier post where user said he/she was on the phone 2hrs with Quickens, no solution. ugh!
  • Rocket J Squirrel

I just tried to reproduce this and could not. My Tax Summary report correctly shows Schedule E:Legal & professional fees. So you might have data corruption and a Validate & Repair might help.

If the transactions are in banking (not investment) accounts, you can try right-clicking them and choosing Tax line item assignments from the menu. You can assign a TLI directly to a transaction that way. Maybe it will work.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Roe_
    Roe_ Member
    Hi Rocket -
    Thanks for the info. I tried Validate and Repair but didn't work. I went to the individual transaction and selected Tax Line Item (Schedule E: Legal & Prof. Fees) but is still shows (Schedule E: Unspecified Rental Expense). The only thing that worked if I select Tax Line Item = Blank but it would not appear on my Tax report since it is not defined as a business expense. I even created a new Category (Business Taxes) and selected (Schedule E: Legal & Prof. Fees) but nothing. However, an interesting thing that I noticed is when I enter a tag used in another category is populates the correct Tax Line Item. As you can see from my screen shots it doesn't work. I have to say their help documentation doesn't really offer any solutions. I wish the Tax Line Item was more detailed since it not only works with Category but Category > Tag. I suspect the Tax Line Item coding is referencing another area not defined in the documentation because there should be no reason for the transaction to automatically populate a Tax Line Item used in another category. Again, thank you for your help.
    Roe
  • Roe_
    Roe_ Member
    Here are the screen shots
  • jam l
    jam l Member ✭✭
    Roe_, think you fixed it. I assigned a "tag" from one to another, changed the TLI, then changed it back and it stayed. So far, so good. Does Quik know? Thx!
  • Roe_
    Roe_ Member
    Jam
    I am glad it works for you. I will eventually figure it out but I will keep this discussion open for a couple of days to see if there is something that I am missing.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Answer ✓

Another thing to try is to eyeball your entire category list, including hidden categories. Some folks have reported corruption in that list which caused problems. It manifests as an oddball category, often with a name like ACCT_2345. That bogus category can safely be deleted.

• Roe_
    Roe_ Member
    Rocket -
    You are probably right and will have to definitely check it out since I was adding, removing or renaming categories and tags. I bet that could be it so I will mark this solved and close it out. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.